Sign in to follow this  
e5r0311

Remote wire help

I've searched here and there, been to the12volt, etc etc etc. I'm still a little bit confused on how exactly to wire three amps with one remote wire. I've photochopped something from the12volt to illustrate my issue.

remote.gif

Not much of a photoshop, but you get the idea. The question is this: Do I splice each remote wire from the three amps into the same single wire coming from the relay? Thanks for any advice.

Edited by e5r0311

yes b/c that is the way i did mine! is it correct...maybe but i was never told it was wrong! so today we will both find out if it is correct to do it this way! lol!!

just a quick question whihc 3 amps are you running?

but even still in the pic it shows the accessories tieing into 1 single point!

...just a quick question whihc 3 amps are you running?...

As of right now, a JL e1800D (running at 2ohm), JL e2150, and a Clarion APX4241. When I get around to doing the big system, sundown will be my brand of choice.

Where abouts in MI are you from?

I'm north of Detroit about 45 minutes, place called Port Huron. I'm sure you've heard of it. Stupid blue water bridge makes this place famous for no reason.

Where abouts in MI are you from?

I'm north of Detroit about 45 minutes, place called Port Huron. I'm sure you've heard of it. Stupid blue water bridge makes this place famous for no reason.

yep i have heard of that place... :werd_msword:

LMAO i live in sarnia ontario right now for school! lol we are just a stone toss away!

*bows* you are smart!! i am so buying somethign liek that for the rebuild!!!!!

Yes. I used a barrier strip and jumper from Radio Shack to splice the REM to my four amplifiers. One wire from relay to barrier strip, then 4 wires from barrier strip to the amplifiers.

4-Position Dual-Row Barrier Strips - RadioShack.com

8-Position Jumper - RadioShack.com

So remote wire from HU to relay, relay to barrier strip, barrier strip to your amps. What role does the jumper play? I'm a little lost.

Also, there's another thing I'm confused about. The remote turn-on from inside the dash mates up with the turn-on lead from the head unit. So at what point do you put the relay in? Car audio really pisses me off, but I love it so much.

Edited by e5r0311

Yes. I used a barrier strip and jumper from Radio Shack to splice the REM to my four amplifiers. One wire from relay to barrier strip, then 4 wires from barrier strip to the amplifiers.

So remote wire from HU to relay, relay to barrier strip, barrier strip to your amps. What role does the jumper play? I'm a little lost.

You would need the jumper so that that input signal to the barrier strip from a single wire is sent to all 4 inputs. Each "output" connection only has one "input", each "input/output" pair is individual. The jumper connects that the one input with the other 3 inputs. One wire to the barrier strip, the jumper connects all 4 inputs together, then wire from each output to the amplifiers. Without the jumper you would have to wire an "input wire" to each input on the barrier strip.....which sort of defeats the purpose.

Also, there's another thing I'm confused about. The remote turn-on from inside the dash mates up with the turn-on lead from the head unit. So at what point do you put the relay in? Car audio really pisses me off, but I love it so much.

I don't understand the question. You would wire the turn-on lead from the headunit to the input (pin 86) on the relay.

There is no remote from inside the dash. Are you sure you're not looking at the power antenna wire? Both are blue from the head unit, it's just that one has a white stripe and the other doesn't. If you do not have any electronics that need to be turned on by the remote wire already installed, the remote wire from the head unit should not be attached to anything.

You would put the relay on the remote wire from the head unit.

You can put the relay anywhere you want. Closer to the amps is recommended so you don't need 3 runs of wire the whole length of the car ;)

Also makes it easier to mount the relay and barrier strip to the amp rack or where ever.

You can put the relay anywhere you want. Closer to the amps is recommended so you don't need 3 runs of wire the whole length of the car ;)

Also makes it easier to mount the relay and barrier strip to the amp rack or where ever.

You would still only need one run of remote wire from the relay to the back of the car, as the back is where you'd put the barrier strip. But either way works. Not that I don't agree with you, since if you're like me you use a power wire from your distribution block to power the relay, and that's in the back of the car. So you'd have to run a wire for that to your dash if that's what you used for power. Same thing with ground wire if you use a distribution block for it with multiple amps in the back (or if you just want to ground to the same place with all of your electronics).

You would still only need one run of remote wire from the relay to the back of the car, as the back is where you'd put the barrier strip. But either way works. Not that I don't agree with you, since if you're like me you use a power wire from your distribution block to power the relay, and that's in the back of the car. So you'd have to run a wire for that to your dash if that's what you used for power. Same thing with ground wire if you use a distribution block for it with multiple amps in the back (or if you just want to ground to the same place with all of your electronics).

We're on the same page lol...I should have been more clear. I meant...probably don't want to mount the barrier strip near the front...that's why you'd have 3 runs :) Plus stuff in the trunk is easier to find a spot for and tie down.