elastic

sealed and ported enclosure

what do you say to this:

Sealed boxes:"Sealed Enclosures are designed for sound quality and offer very low tuning frequencies. If you are building a system where the goal is to listen to music, these are the enclosures to build. They offer the best low frequency performance of all the designs."

Ported boxes:"These enclosures will deliver higher sound pressure levels than sealed enclosures.The perceived loudness will be lower than a sealed enclosure, although the metered number will be higher." [ORION AUDIO]

i always thought ported box were louder in all aspects. now orion says sealed is louder to ear than ported. how come??

and i simply dont understand the physic behind it. ported boxes can move air at tuned frequencies, therefore going to be louder. or did i miss something...

If you have winISD or some comparable box program, pull up the same sub in both a sealed and ported enclosure. The low frequencies that a sealed enclosure excels over a ported one are LOW. As in, sub-25 hz. Otherwise Orion is wrong, perceived loudness is definitely louder in ported boxes with 99% of music, because most of the "low" bass in songs is in the 30-50 hz range, where ported boxes bloat the frequency response and crush sealed boxes for SPL. Those frequencies are the ones usually perceived to be louder to humans.

the kicker manual also says sealed boxes have more output in the 20hz - 30hz range than ported ones.

Are you just trying to figure out what sounds better?

kicker:

"The ported Compact design increases bass efficiency and fits in many space-limited applications.

Although it is the smallest recommended ported enclosure, the output from 30 to 80 Hz will be

considerably higher than that of any sealed box"

"These sealed enclosure designs give the smoothest

response with increased energy at the lowest frequencies, 20 to 30Hz"

i just wondered if sealed is louder under 30 hz according to kickers enclosure recommendations.

Ported boxes generally have a 12-24 db/octave (or more, depending) rolloff below tuning frequency. As I said, model up a ported box vs. a sealed box in a program and you will see.

i did a comparison with winisd:

Imageshack - unbenanntrbg.jpg

hows that? the ported box is louder than sealed even down to 20 hz. it seems that ported is superiour in all aspects (of loudness).

each modelled box is 4,6 cft. the ported one is tuned to 30 hz.

Well there you go. Like I said, sealed boxes will be louder at very low frequencies, sub-25 hz. But for the ported box you also have to take into consideration that you will need a subsonic filter a few hz below tuning, which will make the actual rolloff even steeper. So even though the model shows 20 hz, it will likely be bumped up to 25 hz or so where the sealed box takes over.