JonnieBlaze

Amp Repair on Memphis Belle 16-MCH1300

Hey guys,

I am having the following issue with my amp:

The protection light comes on as soon as it powers up and it stays on. If I leave the amp on for a minute or so I can feel it getting really hot on the corner where the fuses are located on the bottom. The side of the amp is where it is getting hot and it looks like maybe a transistor over there (you can see if by looking in past the fuses). I have a Kicker amp that works just fine using the same power, ground, and remote wires.

Memphis quoted $175 to fix it. I think it could be an easy fix if its just a bad transistor. I know how to solder and I've taken an amp out of its heatsink before to work on it but ended up not needing to do anything to it so I have no experience working on amps. Do you all have any website recommendation that could give me an idea of how to do this? Do any of you all do your own amp repairs and if so do you have any hints you could send my way?

Thanks.

email the guy who runs db-r.com. he might be able to help you.

I saw that website earlier. I was thinking about emailing them if it got to the point where I couldn't fix it myself. But I went ahead and just now sent them an email just to see what they say. Hopefully they say a transistor is an easy fix and I can do it myself pretty easily..haha.

A lot of times you don't burn up just transistors but resistors and/or diodes as well. If you don't have the equipment to test each part, it may be best to leave it to a pro. Does the amp still have a warranty? If so, opening it up voids the warranty. If not, may as well open it up just to see what you see. If you decide to sent it in, db-r is the regular remanufacturer.

No warranty on the amp unfortunately.

Db-r said the same thing...transistor probably went bad because of something else going bad. I have soldering guns and multimeters but not the skills to dive very deep into this thing.

Guess I'll send it to someone in a couple weeks when I get some extra cash.

Chris at Db-r is a good dude and very fair priced.

I would go with Db-R great work, reliable, they put up with constant updates :P, and they're CS is amazing to say the least.

I would go with Db-R great work, reliable, they put up with constant updates :P, and they're CS is amazing to say the least.

every time i have talked/worked with him i came out happy about it. super nice guy, CS is top notch! he should get a section on here.... :fing34:

I saw that website earlier. I was thinking about emailing them if it got to the point where I couldn't fix it myself. But I went ahead and just now sent them an email just to see what they say. Hopefully they say a transistor is an easy fix and I can do it myself pretty easily..haha.

Worse thing for somebody who repairs amps is to work on an amp which somebody inexperienced tried to fix. You did the right thing emailing in the first place.