Hello, I just placed an order on the SSA store for a sundown SAZ-1000.1D And i am in process of purchaseing some fuses and wold like a bit of help. Im running a 4 Guage from the front battery to a ANL fuse holder and it runs back to a mini ANL fused distributor block along to my two amps which will be the sundown SAZ-1000.1D(not shure what fuses it caries) and a Cadence Xenith series amp for my front components(This amp has a 30A fuse on it). What size fusing would you guys suggest me to use on my ANL fuse holder and my mini ANL fused distributor block?? Help would be great. Im trying to get prepared for when i recive the amps. By the way, for the moment i will use the sundown audio amp at a 2ohm load. The power wire im using is made by kicker and is known as 4AWG flex rated to handle 1000 watts RMS. Feedback would be great. THNX

If you have any links on where i can get a good deal on fuses. Let me know :) THNX again

The way i was thinking was 1 fuse depending on the amprage of the amp and the main fuse by the battery. The total amprage of both amps. Thats the only thing i could think of. Or how does this stuff work??

you lost me! lol!

so let me draw a pic and see if this make sense to you or if i mis understood you

dfsdf.jpg

Nice pic!

That's the way I would do things. Everytime you drop the wire gauge, you should re-fuse to that new awg.

wait wait question you have 4awg going from the battery to the terminal then 2-runs of 8awg going to the amps?

b/c 8awg can support 75amps of current.... so don't put a 100 amp fuse in the sundown run but put like a 50-70amp fuse in there to protect the wire...why are we using 8awg again?

or are you going 1/0 to distro then 2-4awg out?

and btw the saz1000 has 75amps of fusing on the amp!

http://sundownaudio.com/index.php/products/amplifiers/saz-1000d.html

wait wait question you have 4awg going from the battery to the terminal then 2-runs of 8awg going to the amps?

b/c 8awg can support 75amps of current.... so don't put a 100 amp fuse in the sundown run but put like a 50-70amp fuse in there to protect the wire...why are we using 8awg again?

or are you going 1/0 to distro then 2-4awg out?

and btw the saz1000 has 75amps of fusing on the amp!

http://sundownaudio..../saz-1000d.html

I think he has (1) 4 gauge run from battery to a fuse/distro and then 8 gauge off to the amp.

is that smart powering a saz1000 off of 8awg wire... well actually it should be b/c 8awg at 2ohm can support... like 1080 at 14.4 volts! so he will be boarder line

and 900rms at 12volts..

is that smart powering a saz1000 off of 8awg wire... well actually it should be b/c 8awg at 2ohm can support... like 1080 at 14.4 volts! so he will be boarder line

and 900rms at 12volts..

It has 4 gauge input, I guess I would run 4 gauge to it. Plus since the amp is fused internally no need to fuse it twice imo.

good point no need to fuse 2times but keep in mind the amp has 75amps of fusing and the 8awg wire can support 75amps of current it would hurt to protect the wire from a fire? or would the fuses on the amp pop before the wire burns? nevermind scatch the fusing! lol!

Once again folks..

The fuse on the wire isn't to protect the equipment, its there to protect the wire. Everytime you drop the wire size off of the main run you should re-fuse the wire with an appropriate fuse.

If you have a run of 1/0awg running from the battery to a fused distro block, and from there it splits to one 4awg and one 8awg. Your main line is fused with a 200-300a fuse because that's what that 1/0awg is capable of carrying. If you don't fuse the smaller wires to what they are capable of carrying (70-80a for 8awg, 100-150a for 4awg) and you short the power cable, you're going to be sending 300a of current down those tiny wires.

That's going to result in melting wire, and most certainly, fire.

Once again folks..

The fuse on the wire isn't to protect the equipment, its there to protect the wire. Everytime you drop the wire size off of the main run you should re-fuse the wire with an appropriate fuse.

If you have a run of 1/0awg running from the battery to a fused distro block, and from there it splits to one 4awg and one 8awg. Your main line is fused with a 200-300a fuse because that's what that 1/0awg is capable of carrying. If you don't fuse the smaller wires to what they are capable of carrying (70-80a for 8awg, 100-150a for 4awg) and you short the power cable, you're going to be sending 300a of current down those tiny wires.

Ah-ha! So if you are running an amp with an internal fuse of, say, 150 amps, but you are running 1/0 AWG to the amp that is rated for 300 amps, you should put a 300 amp fuse in the wire instead of a 150? Just checking.

i never mentioned that im using a 8awg...would i be safe throwing a 100a fuse near the battery and 2 80a fuses btw i have 4 awg from the dist block to my two amps.the reason i want to use the 80a fuse for the candace is becuz i have a fuse laying aroound

Once again folks..

Ah-ha! So if you are running an amp with an internal fuse of, say, 150 amps, but you are running 1/0 AWG to the amp that is rated for 300 amps, you should put a 300 amp fuse in the wire instead of a 150? Just checking.

I would just put a 150 in the wire. That's just extra protection over the 300 amp fuse as it will blow even sooner than the current capacity of the wire. You can always go lower than the rating of the wire, just not higher. I have a 100 amp fuse near the battery on my 1/0.

Basically, the thought process goes somewhat like this.

You have three amps, you add up the amperage total of those amps and choose the appropriate cable to fit the current needs. Once there, you go with fusing per cable to fit your cabling needs.