Jay-C76

2~15" Icon's Build

Way to come back with an update, enclosure is looking good so far. What sub are you using?

Is this going in the same truck still?

Wild looking enclosure.

It's for my last remaining Icon 15. It's been sitting in the original shipping box since I blew the coil on the twin at Slamology years ago. Every day I see the dang thing sitting there just begging me to give it life. 

So, 4 cubes plus displacements, 2200rms @ 2 ohms tuned at a nice flat 27hz. After modeling these numerous times through the years of owning these, this was the best response curve I can obtain.

My Icon 15" would love that enclosure, haha :p:

16 hours ago, Jay-C76 said:

It's for my last remaining Icon 15. It's been sitting in the original shipping box since I blew the coil on the twin at Slamology years ago. Every day I see the dang thing sitting there just begging me to give it life. 

So, 4 cubes plus displacements, 2200rms @ 2 ohms tuned at a nice flat 27hz. After modeling these numerous times through the years of owning these, this was the best response curve I can obtain.

:slayer:

How much port area if you dont mind me asking?

Looking good. :)

What made you choose that much port area? Just curious amd trying to pick your brain, as my last Icon enclosure was 3.5 cubes with 54 square inches.

19 minutes ago, jcarter1885 said:

What made you choose that much port area? Just curious amd trying to pick your brain, as my last Icon enclosure was 3.5 cubes with 54 square inches.

Basically, I was trying to keep port displacements down. At my last competition when I was running both 15's I had a net of 10 cubes & 129 sq.in. of port area. I got a final 150db with that before a mechanical failure on one coil during a demo at 20hz. Plain stupidity on my part was the only reason for the coil locking up. I couldn't get to the volume quick enough to shut things down. This single 15", during modeling I kept toying with the port size & displacements and finally settled on this.

Thanks for the info as Im currently designing an enclosure myself. Wont look as good yours though.

M5 was 100% correct......A long time ago I thought I was sooooo smart saving money on cheap sound deadening. I should've listened to him and many others when they warned me. Now I have a freakin' mess on my hands ripping out this bullshit asphalt based garbage. Learned this lesson the hard way. Fealing like an idiot on this one.

20160821_173451.jpg

20160821_173511.jpg

6 minutes ago, jcarter1885 said:

Thanks for the info as Im currently designing an enclosure myself. Wont look as good yours though.

Measure 3 times and cut once! Lol It's all about attention to detail. Plus, learning from "F" ups. Trust me my first enclosure ever was a train wreck. How I still have all my fingers is unknown.

1 hour ago, Jay-C76 said:

M5 was 100% correct......A long time ago I thought I was sooooo smart saving money on cheap sound deadening. I should've listened to him and many others when they warned me. Now I have a freakin' mess on my hands ripping out this bullshit asphalt based garbage. Learned this lesson the hard way. Fealing like an idiot on this one.

Sorry you had to learn that way.  Even worse is that it sucks at deadening too. :Doh:

To make you feel better I have seen worse doing test work for the oe's in their deadening application.  Crazy what some manufacturers try to do to save money.

Really pretty box!!!

I knew that sub wouldn't collect dust forever..............

Your enclosure looks really nice.

Great design idea.

I'm tuned in...

Any ideas of how to get the residue off without harming the fiberglass that the cap is made out of? As you can see gravity is working but it's making a huge mess. Most of the actual material came off but I am left with liquid drip now.

Regrettably no.  Experienced that once....and have avoided asphalt like the plague.

I used the four major brands from O'Reilly's to remove this crap. The Tarminator worked like a sand blaster getting this stuff loose. Everything else just turned it into a slimy goo. Two trash bags of rags later and I have made some descent progress.

20160828_133336.jpg

20160828_133351.jpg

20160828_133357.jpg

20160828_133402.jpg