BanginGMC

Big Three Question

The Big 3 Are:

1. negative battery wire to ground - just replace the negative batt. terminal and wire and ground it to the factory location

2. engine block to ground - replace the ground wire from the engine block to the chasie with a bigger wire (maybe 4 guage)

3. alternator to batt - add a fused wire from the postive post on you alternator (the one comming from the battery) to the postive terminal on your battery. DO NOT exchange wires just add a extra one. make sure it fused the same size as your factory fuse.

hope thats helps

Note on #2- Some cars have a batt-engine block connection stead of chassis to engine block...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have two wires coming from my stock alt, one wire goes onto my POS and one wire goes onto my NEG..

I upgrade the wire coming from my Alt to my POS, correct? -- then leave the other wire alone, right?

thanks guys.

Leave everything alone and run the wire from your alternator positive post to the positive terminal on the battery, make sure you fuse the wire to protect the wire and as a precaution.

How do i tell what post is pos or neg? it would be whatever post has a wiring going to the pos on my batt, right? -- im under my hood now with my laptop

EDIT inline fuse with 250A fuse right? -- 0awg welding cable

Edited by BanginGMC

How do i tell what post is pos or neg? it would be whatever post has a wiring going to the pos on my batt, right? -- im under my hood now with my laptop

EDIT inline fuse with 250A fuse right? -- 0awg welding cable

Yes! Look for the wire coming from the alt to the + post on the batt and add to it.

Okay i did so, what size fuse?

I never have fused mine, always factory alts, but others do. I would say fuse to the amperage of your alt and or size wire.

Okay i did so, what size fuse?

I never have fused mine, always factory alts, but others do. I would say fuse to the amperage of your alt and or size wire.

Like OldSkool said, Don't worry about a fuse if you only have a factory alternator and factory battery. I ONLY recommend a fuse if its a HO alternator, and the fuse is there to protect your investment if something go's wrong. some HO alternators put out alot of amps.

BTW Its still not nessacery even with a HO, just another safety measure for ppl that like overkill.(like me)smile.gif

ya im in the same phase also

so fuse wire going from alternator to posterminal on battery with stock alternator yes or no?

if yes what to fuse the wire, or what the alternator pushes etc.

Edited by klee7013

ya im in the same phase also

so fuse wire going from alternator to posterminal on battery with stock alternator yes or no?

if yes what to fuse the wire, or what the alternator pushes etc.

I wouldn't worry about it on a factory alternator, BUT if you feel safer installing one then I would fuse to what the alternator is rated.

i was always told to fuse to the wire. if the wire is capable of 250A then use a 250A fuse. I purchased a HO alt and fused it with a 250 (knukoncepts KLMX 1/0 rated at loads of 250A). I fuse anything and everything.. spent too much money on it to take the risk :)

ya i work in the Heating and air business and i love me some resetable 5 amp fuses they have saved some hundred dollar zone board from frying

might as well spend a few bucks to save something that could actually could destroy the truck

thanks for the input gonna order some wire and fuse holders now

i swear its a bitch to get to the alt in my rsx. I ended up having to pay somebody $50 to have them install the wire.

Dude looked at me crazy cause of how big the 0 gauge wire was.

I threw a 300amp fuse on mine.

thats to big, the fuse will be the last thing to burn up.

Either match the fuse to the wire size as the "MAX" or match the equipment on end of the wire as the "MIN" size.