hondakilla98

Sealed 18" VS Ported 15" VS Sealed 15" x 2

I've been working on my system and slowly becoming more interested in sq than spl. So I guess I'm working on an ""SQL"" system. Loud and clean. Right now I've got 1 15" RE SX. And it sounds decent now and output is good. But I'd like cleaner. I have a friend that's intersted in my sub. So I've been trying to figure out what to get for a replacement. I can do about 4.5 cu ft net ported, or 6 cu ft sealed net. I'd like to spend under $400. I may have a line on a used 18" xcon. So that sealed or one 15" xcon ported, or maybe a par of used icon 15's sealed. I'm open to suggestions. Whatever I get will be powered by my saz-1500d.

Or maybe 4 dcon 10's ported?

Have to describe what you mean by cleaner or else we can't help you at all.

Loud and clean and SQL does not describe sound quality.

You have a quality subwoofer why not look into rebuilding a new enclosure to maximize the RE-SX.

Loud and clean and ""SQL"" does not describe sound quality.

You have a quality subwoofer why not look into rebuilding a new enclosure to maximize the RE-SX.

I built a new box for the sx about two months ago, and it sounds much better. It's in 4.25 cu ft net tuned to 30 hertz. Re says optimal is 4 @34. So I'm pretty close to optimal right now. I also wanted a box that I could throw a 15" XCON in. Or a Fi Q or whatever 15 I chose. Because most 15's are happy in that size box and tuning. At least the ones I am interested in. I want more low end, and tighter punchier bass. I don't want an "SQ" setup. I probably shouldn't of even used the term, with as much crap as it stirs up on this forum. Another reason I'd like to replace the RE is it's a D4 sub. I'd like to get a sub or subs that I can wire to 1 ohm to get the most out of my amp. So tighter cleaner bass and more low end is what I want. Along with the ability to pound, and surprise whoever sits in my jeep.

I don't want an "SQ" setup. I probably shouldn't of even used the term, with as much crap as it stirs up on this forum

lol thats true. i dont know any forum where this term makes so much trouble.

I don't want an "SQ" setup. I probably shouldn't of even used the term, with as much crap as it stirs up on this forum

That's because it's so subjective. If he wants more low end and already has a ported box, that means he likes an overly exaggerated low end, which means a big hump in the frequency response between 30-50 hz. To somebody else, "SQ" means having a completely flat frequency response over the subbass range and likely using a sealed box to do so.

That's because it's so subjective. If he wants more low end and already has a ported box, that means he likes an overly exaggerated low end, which means a big hump in the frequency response between 30-50 hz. To somebody else, "SQ" means having a completely flat frequency response over the subbass range and likely using a sealed box to do so.

I like how my sub sounds now, I just want it to be tighter and cleaner. I also want more output so when one of my friends checks out my system I can blow them away. Before I built my box, I'd never experienced the extreme lows like I have now. There's just something about 20-30 hertz that I love. So my next box will be ported even lower than I am now. So I can get those extreme lows without hurting my sub. I'm thinking around 27 hertz. And that's right on par with the xcon reccomended enclosures, unlike my sx which is reccomended at 34 hertz.

David, like i said before you might want to try the Q or xcon. i have had both and i know you pretty good. i think thats what you want.

If your looking loud and low look into the XCON or new ICON in optimal ported enclosure.

Well now that I'm starting a new build for my new to me 95 cadillac eldorado. I'm not sure how much trunk I want to lose. And have alot of options to consider for subs and for install. Do I go sealed or ported, and if I go ported do I port though the rear deck into the cabin? I don't know. I see alot of subs in my future. I figure I'll just pick up the next good deal I find on a decent sounding sub. And go from there. I think I might start with a pair of SA-8's from Steve. So If you see a good deal, let me know.