2 x Fi Q 18" Wall build in a Celica T23

Started on my fiberglass mold around the cd player:

Taped up the console:

IMAG0058.jpg

IMAG0059.jpg

IMAG0060.jpg

IMAG0061.jpg

IMAG0062.jpg

Done with the fiberglass, so now it's speed drying. So I started up my Defa fan. Think I laid about 7-8 layers, should be more then enough:

IMAG0063.jpg

IMAG0064.jpg

IMAG0065-1.jpg

Now it's dried up, I removed some of the tape before I remembered to take som pictures:

IMAG0071.jpg

IMAG0072-1.jpg

IMAG0073-1.jpg

And then my new part is out of the console:

IMAG0076-1.jpg

IMAG0077-1.jpg

IMAG0078-1.jpg

IMAG0080.jpg

Now I left the part to fully cure, before I start cutting holes for the cd player and my Stinger Volt meters and applying the body filler, I'll smooth out the edges on top and bottom and make the front a little bit flatter.

I had to use the console in my car right a way, but it shouldn't twist while curing, it was pretty dry.

I think the result was ok, could have been better, but I'm satisfied, since I only used tape and since it's my first part from scratch.

Excellent work on the pictures and the build log. Jealous of that HU set up. :)

Thanks mate. :)

I bought the HU set up used, but the player looks like it's new, no scratches anywhere on the HU. And I even got it for a very nice price. :)

Edited by Dammed

Started with the body filling:

IMAG0082-1.jpg

IMAG0083-1.jpg

IMAG0084-1.jpg

IMAG0085-1.jpg

IMAG0086.jpg

IMAG0087.jpg

IMAG0088.jpg

IMAG0089-1.jpg

IMAG0090-1.jpg

I forgot to take a picture or two, but I smoothed the body filling out before I left it to dry. It looked a lot more even. I'm going to do it once more to fill the small cracks, and then it should be good for painting. :)

I haven't done much because I had exams and a big vacation, and the fact is that the enclosure can't be installed before the coilovers are on the car, and they have to be painted and after that the snow have to be gone, and they have to be installed after the car has passed the MOT since I have 0 papers on them.

But I have made a couple of changes to the equipment that will be going into the car:

I sold the ODR player and I will buy a Pioneer P88RS-II (P800PRS) or a Alpine 9887R and a Carputer.

Carputer is bought and it's this ASUS mini netbook:

IMGP1594.jpg

Small thing:

IMGP1596.jpg

Specs:

* Size:226×191.2×28.5~38mm (WxDxH)

* Weight1.45kg

* 1.6GHz Atom N270 processor,

* 1GB RAM,

* 80GB SATA hard drive,

* 10-inch display 1024×600,

* three USB 2.0 ports,

* 10/100Mbit Ethernet,

* 802.11b/g/n WiFi, Bluetooth,

* SD card reader,

* 1.3Megapixel Webcam,

* Windows XP.

* weight1.45kg

* 6-cell 6,600mAH battery 3.6h.

The Asus is upgraded with 2gb ram and a car charger came with it, and there's still 1 year of warranty left. :)

Have bought/ordered: Lilliput 8" widescreen touchscreen, EFO mini keyboard and mouse, Crucial C300 64GB SSD that will replace the HDD in the Asus, Creative USB soundcard that will give me 2 RCA outputs, a USB HUB that will give me 10 USB ports and one Iomega 2TB external HDD.

Later I will order Garmin Mobile PC, and a couple of DC-DC converters for the external drive and soundcard.

The external HDD has a alu enclosure, which makes it really solid, and the HDD remains pretty cool.

IMGP1597.jpg

IMGP1602.jpg

Efo keyboard, is a small wireless keyboard with lights behind the buttons and a netbook mouse. It works pretty good, I tried it at a 4m distance and it works flawlessly.

IMGP1603.jpg

IMGP1606.jpg

I'm going to try different OS on the netbook to achieve the quickest boot as possible, it will probably be a Ubuntu based OS.

The netbook and the external drive will be placed in the glove compartment, and I will use a VGA connection with the screen and the sound signal will from the Creativ sound card through RCA cables to the AUX input of the cd player.

The fiberglass mold I made will not be used. I'm gonna make a new mold, from bottom to top: cd player, touchscreen, stinger volt meters, and the clock at top.

I have disassembled the screen so that I can't a nice smooth custom look with the fiberglass mold. And then I checked if the screen is still working. And then I but the bezel together with all the srews, so that I do not loose any screws. ^^

The Bezel:

IMGP1592.jpg

IMGP1591.jpg

The screen is made of one big circuit board, one smaller which contains the buttons and the screen itself.

IMGP1584.jpg

Pretty slim:

IMGP1585.jpg

And the screen is still working as it should: :D

IMGP1589.jpg

I'll see how to mount it, I'll probably just press fit the screen on the fiberglass mold as it was in the bezel and mount the circuit boards on a metal plate that I will weld in between the cd players mounts

Edited by Dammed

insane works.... love the eee pc usage... I need to learn to fiberglass...

Looks good! And good luck with the carputer

doing a big Celica install myself.... can you tell me what you did for suspension there?

I bought TRD Coilovers, have yet to see if they will be stiff enough, but I bvelieve they should be ok.

Looking forward to more updates man :D

X2

direct bolt-ons?

adjustable ride height?

I bought TRD Coilovers, have yet to see if they will be stiff enough, but I bvelieve they should be ok.

direct bolt-ons?

adjustable ride height?

yup.

some photos of them here:

this is a beautiful example of my idea of wanting to fiber glass a monitor into the dash. I also have the goal of wanting to do a wall just exactly as you are but nothing behind the baffle except the cars body of course for an IB setup. cant wait to see more of this!

Winamp FTW! :fing34:

Winamp FTL actually...try searching for a track when you are going 60 and NOT on a highway...

Dammed, get Centrafuse and a touchscreen.

After working on somebody's car-puter setup, I feel that the only reliable solution is a touchscreen + a computer instead of a laptop. Otherwise it could get frustrating to control the whole thing.

It's Dammed, as in Damir Medic. (DAM-ir MED-ic)

I have a touchscreen, and laptop VS Desktop is a subject for taste. I found a netbook would be better, easier to power and since you have battery, it's easier to automatic shut it down. And If I ever need a PC, one's always available in the glove compartment.

I'll check Centrafuse out, but Winamp is 0 problem, I used the netbook today to find music on Winamp, as easy as using a normal cd player. Remeber I have that wireless keyboard, it's like texting on a mobile phone.

Name fixed, sorry...

Laptop would make things a bit easier because of power, agreed. Power supplies for ATX motherboards are easy to find and cheap though. But it's a thing of taste.

Texting while driving ? That's the thing I don't like...for instance today I almost bumped into somebody who was texting while walking. Imagine the same person texting while driving...

I could probably drive better with both of my eyes closed then some people out there, probably like the person you bumped into the other day...

but seriously, I meant, you look at the road and write on the keyboard without looking. A bit difficult with todays smart phones, but in the "good old days" it was no problem.

I could probably drive better with both of my eyes closed then some people out there, probably like the person you bumped into the other day...

but seriously, I meant, you look at the road and write on the keyboard without looking. A bit difficult with todays smart phones, but in the "good old days" it was no problem.

Well then it's too bad your not controlling this with an old phone. Lol.

Well the keyboard has physical buttons like the old phones... So do I need to draw something in Paint? :P

Winamp FTW! :fing34:

Winamp FTL actually...try searching for a track when you are going 60 and NOT on a highway...

Dammed, get Centrafuse and a touchscreen.

After working on somebody's car-puter setup, I feel that the only reliable solution is a touchscreen + a computer instead of a laptop. Otherwise it could get frustrating to control the whole thing.

I just use Winamp on the computer at home, thats why I said it, lol I probably wouldnt use it in car...

Texting and driving is illegal in my state, so this looks like a hard ticket to get out of. But if you can do it and not mess up then by all means, have at it.