michael...o

anybody make a re-cone for a 15" focal utopia 38wx?

Not sure if im in the right section, but I emailed focal usa and asked if they could repair my 15" focal sub, and they said they no longer make any parts for it, and that i would need to get a recone kit, i emailed him back to ask if there was anybody that makes one that would fit, and no response in over a month... I don't know.. the sub kicked a$$ when it was up and goin, now the ring around the cone is broke,.. i paid around 2k a few years ago, and i can't even find a recone, something is wrong here :puzzled: ..lol... does anyone know where, or how i could fix my sub.? i know how to do a recone, if only someone made them..

thanks in advance.

Edited by michael..o

Is it just the surround that's damaged?

If so you wouldn't need a full recone.....just a new surround.

i was lookin at the spider and lead wires, and they both seem to be fine, so mabey your right and all i need is a new surround... i went to that link and found some of the surrounds, which one do i need??i seen one for a 15" sub with a 3" vc, would this be right??.... the box for the utopia sub says that it is a 3" voice coil, but i don't know if there are differences in thickness of the surround from sub to sub or what not...

thanks for all your help..looks like there might be hope after all..lol :woot:

Edited by michael..o

Yes, there are differences in surrounds as far as thickness, stiffness and material.

I would ask Focal if they can give you any details on the surround.

just sent him a message asking if he could give me any details on the surround, so i'll see what he says...

Edited by michael..o

focal emailed me back, it said they were going to try contacting them in france and see if they can get one or not.. I also emailed the people at fix my speaker, they said they don't make raw surrounds, and refered me to simplyspeakers.com and speakerrepair.com .. i haven't emailed them yet though, i'll see if focal usa will work out first...

I would e-mail the other companies as well, just in case focal doesn't have what you need you'll have other e-mails to fall back on and you wont have to wait longer.

just emailed the other companies.. focal hasn't got back with me yet.. we'll see what the others have to say.. :ehh:

the others emailed me back, simply speacker recomended me to one of there re edge kits, fsk-15a ,, do you think that one will work?? the other company said they don't make any kits for that sub, and they don't think anybody could fix it.. :bull: .....what do you think.

would wait for focal, then if that didn't work pay someone to do a crazy recone that would work and use the motor. my .2 cents

you know of anyone who could do a "crazy recone"?? probably fix my speaker...?

Edited by michael..o

doesn't Jacob do speaker build if you hand him a motor and some specs? (owner of sundown audio)

actually i think he does take a look

Custom Mag v.3 15" For Customer - SSA Car Audio Forum

Building 2x T3 TSS 15s - SSA Car Audio Forum

Custom re-building 15" T3 TSS - SSA Car Audio Forum

Made another 10" Nightshade - SSA Car Audio Forum

i would get incontact with him, tell him your issue and go from there! and his p/m are turned off so you HAVE to e-mail him

sundownz@sundownaudio.com

enjoy

Couldn't you get a recone through PSI? or maybe its PIS? idfk :trippy:

Edited by BanginGMC

never heard of a psi or pis or anything. do you have a link?, so far i think the best bet is to email the guy at sundown audio, he seems like he knows what he's doing there as in custumizing it to work.

psi could probably do a recone if not contact scott or nick at ficaraudio.com and see if they can help you out if neither of them can help you out it is impossible... i would bet they probably can tho!

do you have a link to this "psi",? the psi audio i found, the closest is in vancouver... how much you thinking it will cost to have it fixed by nick and scott?? how about jacob from sundownaudio? ... yea, if it's gonna cost more than 500$ to get this thing fixed, i think i would be better off just buying a new fi q or something like that..

thanks for your time.

Edited by michael..o

Honestly, you would loose pretty much most of the good things about that sub if you have it reconed by anyone other than Focal.

I can't recall, but is that a polyglass cone? If so, that is pretty much the heart of that sub, everything else is pretty conventional.

I am not sure if you can get a Focal recone, I would see if Orca still is around. Kimon Bellas used to be the guy for Focal stuff in the US, but I haven't dealt with him for 10 years. Google both Orca and Kimon and see what you get. I would also contact Zalytron, as they are one of the biggest Focal DIY importers...

Good luck, and honestly I wouldn't go with anything but Focal softparts (if you can even get them). I have owned several of the Focal subs, including the original 15" Polyglass subs from 15 years ago. They are really nice, but again, geared tward something completely different that the places mentioned for recones in this thread...

yea, i'm pretty sure it's a polyglass one, It has 5 seperate magnets on the bottom... i talk to 2 different people from focal usa, and they pretty much said that i am screwed..... i'm starting to think the same thing, which is a shame, cause this sub was bad*** hooked up to my precision power 1500..... looks like i'm going to be back on the market for a new sub..

thanks again for your time.

I would still try and contact Orca/Zalytron.

Those are nice subs, mine had that same motor on it.

I would also post this on diyaudio.com, you might have better luck.

PSI = Dave @ fixmyspeaker

great guy. good luck with your focal.

Edited by brmcm15

If I'm reading your post correctly, the only thing you need to replace is the surround.

If so, don't pay attention to the people telling you that you need a recone. You don't need a recone, you just need a surround. A recone replaces all of the soft parts.....which you don't need done.

Since Focal hasn't gotten back with you I would take 95Honda's advice and check with Zalytron and some of the other home audio based DIY forums to see if anyone has any insights.

well, i'm gonna go ahead and try the surround simply speaker suggested. It's only 30$, so it kinda seems like the best option right now.. if that doesn't work i'll probly just look into buying another speaker..

thanks again for your time.