Sign in to follow this  
lithium

budget:600 dollar laptop

hey guys, im looking for a new laptop for the parents. budget is 600 tops. i would rather spend about 500 but i'd like to see them get a real nice laptop since they are very slow to upgrade... their dell single core desktop finally died... its like 7 years old probably...

their looking for a laptop, not one of those shitty 10" screen POS deals..

heres what ive turned up.

gateway $600

asus dual core $550 asus K60I-RBBBR05

here is the guide i used to pick them out... i havent found much help from online websites that keep up with laptops...

dell offerings w/ i3

I just got a gateway NV79 on sale a few months ago for less then $550. Pretty good bang for the buck.

I just got a gateway NV79 on sale a few months ago for less then $550. Pretty good bang for the buck.

thats what the gateway link is suppose to be.. not sure why its not work for me... price right now at bestbuy is 600. where did you find yours?

Dont get a Toshiba.

Thats what I replaced was a satalite something another and it would fry the fuck out of your nutz if you surf with it on your lap.

i think id like to push them up to the i3 laptops. their at the top end of their budget but i think that translates into a stronger laptop. they also come with larger hdd's and faster ramm along with the i3.

i found the acer for 550 after mail in rebate.. on compusa

also 550 on circuitcity.com... i forgot they still were in business after their store closed in the area. lol

its an open box.. not sure about that tho.. Acer Aspire AS5740-5255 Notebook PC (Open Box) at CircuitCity.com

edit... compusa has it open box aswell.... same price... wana bet they use the same source or warehouse or some shit...

I am an Asus fan. If you want an i3 core look at their web sight and see what they have that might fit your needs better.

I got my grandma a 15" Dell with I think a 2.2ghz processor, 500 gig HD, 4 gigs RAM, and Windows 7 for $549 at Walmart. It was a little over $600 after tax. I thought it was pretty nice though. It doesn't compare to my new laptop though. Mines about 5 months old. Dell 17" 2.66 ghz dual core processor, 4 gigs ram, 320 gig HD (fixing to upgrade to dual 600 gigs), bluetooth, etc. I gave $1200 for mine, but I think its worth it.

looking into afew more laptops. thanks for the suggestions

Dont get a Toshiba.

Thats what I replaced was a satalite something another and it would fry the fuck out of your nutz if you surf with it on your lap.

hmm I've never had that problem with my toshiba. Mine does have a weak battery though. Damn thing only lasted like a year, now all i get is like a 10 minutes under full charge.

Dont get a Toshiba.

hmm I've never had that problem with my toshiba. Mine does have a weak battery though. Damn thing only lasted like a year, now all i get is like a 10 minutes under full charge.

ouch... my mac is still strong after 1.5 years. i have an app that read off various readings and says its at 88% health

also 550 on circuitcity.com... i forgot they still were in business after their store closed in the area. lol

its an open box.. not sure about that tho.. Acer Aspire AS5740-5255 Notebook PC (Open Box) at CircuitCity.com

edit... compusa has it open box aswell.... same price... wana bet they use the same source or warehouse or some shit...

lol funny story about that...

Tiger Direct bought CompUSA when they went out of business...that's why they seem like they're the same. Then, when Circuit City went under, they were bought up by CompUSA. A bankrupt company bought a bankrupt company...only in America...

Get a Dell laptop, then upgrade the components on your own. You could skip on things like a huge hard drive (get them an external HDD for backup, while you're at it, and show them how to use it) or 4GBs of RAM for the moment, and buy them a year or two down the road. My old Dell laptop is running a 1.8 Athlon dual core with 2GBs of RAM and it's decently quick with Win7. For general web browsing, playing music, etc it's just fine. It won't play games and Photoshop is slow if you try and open 15 pics at a time.

You should check out the Dell outlet. Sometimes you can get great deals. I got the perfect laptop for me for $500 shipped two months ago. It was awesome.

i think i've narrowed things down to one of these three.

asus $550 smaller screen then the gateway but longer battery life

gateway nv7915u w/ i3 for 600 downside is poor battery but bigger screen

acer aspire... cant find reviews on this model yet... must be too new since its running the i3 reviews of the older model with the intel dual core are pretty good

sent the parents to get the gateway. they should be pretty happy with it

Get a mini pc and run ubuntu on it :P and I saw a laptop for around 500 on the www.tigerdirect.com website front page