ExplicitYourSelf

How to adjust/tune my head unit and amp for my front components.

I would like to know if anyone has any tips on how to adjust/tune my head unit and amp so i can get the best preformance and sound quality without messing anything up... My head unit is a pioneer DEH P3100UB and my amp for my front stage components is a cadence xenith. A thiong on the head unit i kinda dont understand is when i am on EQ 2 if i remember correctly on the option for highs i can adjust from 1k, 8k, 10k, or 12k and another option i can choose is 1w, 2w, 1n, or 2n. I dont really know what that stuff means or is and under the mids it gives me the option of 200hz, 500hz. Cant remember what else from the top of my head, sorry. But it also gives me the option 1w, 2w, 1n, or 2n. And on the low it gives me the option of different frequencies but i left that at 50HZ since I was told to leave it there and it also gives me the option 1w, 2w, 1n, or 2n. Tips would be great THNX. Her is what is installed in my car

EF-61NEO/DRT-25 PRO -CDT Audio 6.5" Slim NEODYMIUM Component System with DRT-25 TweetersEF-61NEO/DRT-25 PRO - CDT Audio 6.5" Slim NEODYMIUM Component System with DRT-25 Tweeters

Cadence Xa125.2 Linear Class AB Stereo

http://www.cadencestore.com/ProductCart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=156&idproduct=516

Pioneer DEH P3100UB

http://www.pioneer.eu/eur/products/archive/DEH-P3100UB/index.html

Edited by ExplicitYourSelf

have you read your manual?

I read the manual for the components and it didnt show much, there was a graph but it is too small to understand. I also read a few things on the manual from my head unit but it doesnt explain what i want to be answered

1w, 2w, 1n, 2n are the parametric Q-factor adjustments. They stand for 1 wide, 2 wide, 1 narrow, 2 narrow.

In simple terms, when you adjust a band on an equalizer up or down, that adjustment is not affecting only a single frequency. The "frequency" of the EQ band is center frequency of the adjustment. So if you increase an EQ band centered at 500hz by 2db, then 500hz will increase by 2db...but the frequencies both above and below 500hz will also increase in level. The Q-factor adjusts how wide or narrow the range of frequencies above and below 500hz that are also affected by the level adjustment will be. "Normal" parametric EQ's have Q-factors stated in numbers which equate to certain bandwidths....but Pioneer simplified this process for average users by limiting the Q-factor adjustment to 4 adjustments and labeling them with easier to understand labels. As intuition probably tells you, 2W (wide) affects the widest bandwith of frequencies and 2N (narrow) affects the narrowest bandwidth of frequencies.

Just to pull numbers completely out of the air for example purposes, let's take two examples. In both examples you have the center frequency set to 500hz and you increase the EQ level adjustment by 2db:

With the Q-factor set to 2W; 500hz will be increased by 2db; 450hz and 550hz will increase by 1.5db; 400hz and 600hz will increase by 1db; 350hz and 650hz will increase by .5db; at 300hz and 700hz the increase is 0db (i.e. the EQ adjustment no longer has any effect).

With the Q-factor set to 2N; 500hz will be increased by 2db; 450hz and 550hz will increase by 1db; 400hz and 600hz increase by 0db (i.e. the Eq adjustment no longer has any effect).

Also keep in mind that in the above example I just would have picked points off of a "curve". In example 1 all of the frequencies between 500hz to 300hz and 500hz to 700hz would be increased in level by decreasing amounts. Look in the manual on page 26 for a visualization of this "curve".

There isn't a right or wrong setting here.....set them to where ever sounds best. Also remember that increasing an EQ band in level requires the amplifier output more power at those frequencies. A +3db increase in level requires the amplifier output twice the power. Boosting an EQ can cause the amplifier to clip, potentially allowing you to overdrive your speakers. An EQ should be used more to reduce peaks in the frequency response rather than boost valleys.

Wow Brad you're laying down the knowledge tonight O.o