sefugi

95 Eclipse Father/Son Project

Hey, make sure you add some of that deadener to the back of those. It will really help them. Also if you can cut a ring of .5" MDF and add to the back to screw the mid to it helps.

I have these and they are pretty flimsy out of the box, but with the above done it really helps out a ton.

Looking good Dad!

Hey, make sure you add some of that deadener to the back of those. It will really help them. Also if you can gut a ring of .5" MDF and add to the back to screw the mid to it helps.

I have these and they are pretty flimsy out of the box, but with the above done it really helps out a ton.

Looking good Dad!

Thanks for the comments and the tips!

Do as the Sir Man suggested. Some people also suggest adding non hardening molding clay to back sides, to add mass if needed.

I would paint the grills black in that particular car. Keep up the KILLER work.fing34.gif

Now this post is the beginnings of something never attempted by myself nor my son. Ever heard of 10lbs of crap in a 5lb bag??? Well we are attempting to put 120lbs of crap(just a figuire of speech) in a 20lb spot. We have come to an understanding that because of space limitations we have to make some choices on a happy medium between looks, space and performance of the products we have chosen. So, that being said we have come up with a design that should give a nice wow factor and still have decent performance. We also were trying to make sure that all the tail-light and such were accessable once everything will be installed.(Don't want to tear out the system to change a bulb.) The looks of this box for the 15" sub is really scarry.

picture045d.jpg

By sefugi at 2010-06-05

Mock-up of the 2-10's and the 15"--Not to sure at this point...Does seem to have an ok flow from one to the other...

picture053b.jpg

By sefugi at 2010-06-05

Do as the Sir Man suggested. Some people also suggest adding non hardening molding clay to back sides, to add mass if needed.

I would paint the grills black in that particular car. Keep up the KILLER work.fing34.gif

My son thanks you for the back-up on his thoughts for the grilles, and I Thank You for the comments.

Edited by sefugi

I would go with one 15 for the sub.

It will look cool, but not sure how 10's and the 15 will work together.

Yeah, we have discussed 15 only, just the 10's. Deffinately "keep it simple stupid" comes to mind, but the other saying "won't know till you try" rings in as well. Being the center console is setup with switches for the sub amps my son likes the idea that he can listen to the 10's for average music without the 15 and the 15 without the 10's. I don't know, I'm confused now! Thanks for the comment, if we screw it up, you told us so(politely I may add). Thanks

The 10" enclosures have been coated in resin and the 15" has been covered with fleece. Another test fit before the 15 gets resined. Now we can start to put on the layers of matting to get the strenght in the enclosures. I'm guessing about 6-8 layers. We shall see...

picture064oj.jpg

By sefugi at 2010-06-05

Great build log, I hope one day I can build or create something with my son. :)

Great build log, I hope one day I can build or create something with my son. :)

Thanks!! I hope you do-the experience has been very rewarding and I think the results will be also.

This thing is epic! Your son is lucky to have a father that is so into car audio and so eager to help to create something unique and custom. Great job!

This thing is epic! Your son is lucky to have a father that is so into car audio and so eager to help to create something unique and custom. Great job!

Thanks for the kind words, My son needs a car that is as unique as I feel he is, plus is gives Dad a chance to do some cool stuff that Mom somewhat goes along with. :drink40:

This last week we got the 15" enclosure resined, applied fiber matting (8-10 layers on each box). Thought working with the fiberglass matting was a mess until it was time to start cutting down the high spots to smooth it out a little. Fiberglass dust gets everywhere! Even though these boxes have turned out fairly well for a first time adventure probly won't be doing another semi-whole enclosure anytime soon. Might try doing some type of pod or something, but something so large is a lot of work. Used body filler to smooth out the boxes with a lot of sanding.

15" resined....

picture069g.jpg

By sefugi at 2010-06-12

Layers of matting applied...

img2391g.jpg

By sefugi at 2010-06-12

img2393n.jpg

By sefugi at 2010-06-12

img2397f.jpg

By sefugi at 2010-06-12

Fiberglass shaped a little to apply body-filler...

picture124o.jpg

By sefugi at 2010-06-12

Body filler sanded smooth and ready for primer..

picture122o.jpg

By sefugi at 2010-06-12

picture121v.jpg

By sefugi at 2010-06-12

picture123j.jpg

By sefugi at 2010-06-12

Here are the boxes primed. Hope to get started on the battery rack and start putting the interior together through this weekend.

110809005.jpg

By sefugi at 2010-06-12

The enclosures look good.fing34.gif They can definetly take some time out of your day to build. What are you covering them in?

The enclosures look good.fing34.gif They can definetly take some time out of your day to build. What are you covering them in?

Hopefully if all goes well the enclosures and amp rack will all be painted the same as the top of the car. Eastwood Blvd Black 2-3 coats and then cleared.

Yes you are correct, sanding will put a dent in a day. Thanks!

Not trying to put a damper on the build, because the enclosures look most excellent, :drink40: , but how big are the ports on each one? They look awful small.

Not trying to put a damper on the build, because the enclosures look most excellent, :drink40: , but how big are the ports on each one? They look awful small.

:o, never even saw that there was a port.

I thought they were sealed and even then i thought the enclosures were too small.

I think it won't sound good, because of those small and short ports.(and too low volume)

We are good on the 10's because they are sealed. .75 per sub after displace, but you are correct on the 15 port (I f'd up!) got 12" of port area total instead of 12 per cub.' So @ 2.75 cu.' we are deffinatly off on port area. Any suggestions??????

Seal it off?

That would be the best thing to do, because sealed + ported is no no.

Seal it off?

That would be the best thing to do, because sealed + ported is no no.

10's sealed and the 15" ported is not a good idea???

No, because you won't be able to hear the 10's anyway.

If the enclosure is only 2.75cu ft for the 15", then i would rather seal it up and reduce the volume on the inside.'(and mixin sub sizes isn't that good in the first place) :peepwall:

Edited by kirill007

Seems I've heard this before!?

if i where doing this i would have the 10s be a mid range, and have a cross over on them. 2.75 is on the small side for a 15 but could still work sealed

I know that 2.75 sounds real small for this 15" but the manual for it tells otherwise. I would think that on the norm when building an enclosure that you check the manf. for recomended size. So here is the T5 Subwoofer for the info. I have the T5-10's and a T5-15. With what you guys are recomending I'm leaning going Sealed.