sefugi

95 Eclipse Father/Son Project

Looks great. Keep it up. Wait, I just realized that you have two tweeters. I know you said a three way set up front. Where are the other tweeters coming into play?

Thanks! The extra tweeters on the dash we not sure exactly how they will come into play but possibly they will be used kind of how the CDT upstage system works, (i know i should not compare the speakers we have to CDT being ours are not the quality of CDT) but maybe we can raise the soundstage up a little with the ones on the dash? We are looking forward to testing and experimenting with the settings and what we can make it sound like. Time will tell.

Just an update: Got the seats and seat brackets and they are installed...Also added 4 point harnesses in the front.

Seat bracket mounting, neon tube mounted under each front seat...

img2514ft.jpg

By sefugi at 2010-06-16

Seats installed with harness...

img2515k.jpg

By sefugi at 2010-06-16

img2516o.jpg

By sefugi at 2010-06-16

We will be working on the amp rack and mocking up all the rear components today and posting pics on were we are at tonight or tommorrow.

Last pics really show off the center console and seats, interior looks sweeeeeeeeet!!!!

Last pics really show off the center console and seats, interior looks sweeeeeeeeet!!!!

Thanks! We still have the trims around the a/c and radio to work with. May have to pull radio during adjustment to radio and rear back-up camera.

x2, I couldnt agree with you anymore :captain: . Do you have any plans for the steering wheel since it doesnt seem to fit the scheme?

x2, I couldnt agree with you anymore :captain: . Do you have any plans for the steering wheel since it doesnt seem to fit the scheme?

Got so much going on with this project, may have to live with the wheel for now. We have discussed a wheel change doing some kind of mod to the airbag area and I thought something else but don't recall. With all the items stacked around the house we're about to break the bank. Got Ideas????????????

Nice work!

You don't screw around do you? LOL! Each time I see this build I am amazed at how quickly it is taking shape. I bet your son is about to wet his pants to drive it.

Great job Dad!

Nice work!

You don't screw around do you? LOL! Each time I see this build I am amazed at how quickly it is taking shape. I bet your son is about to wet his pants to drive it.

Great job Dad!

"You don't screw around do you? LOL!" I try not to. I think my son is learning that if you want something done you got to get with it! As soon as we get this amp rack setup I got some back-up coming to try and get all the painting done. Taping takes forever.

Nice work!

Great job Dad!

"You don't screw around do you? LOL!" I try not to. I think my son is learning that if you want something done you got to get with it! As soon as we get this amp rack setup I got some back-up coming to try and get all the painting done. Taping takes forever.

Dad is multi tasking. Building his son something he can be proud of and teaching him some of life's lessons too.

:drink40: to you Sir!

damn nice build you got goin here. your boy will have a sweet ride when done. plus he will respect it since he is putting hard work in it.

how much you got invested in this car already?

damn nice build you got goin here. your boy will have a sweet ride when done. plus he will respect it since he is putting hard work in it.

how much you got invested in this car already?

Thank You! We are somewhere in the 7K area including car purchase. I'll post a total once the build is complete.

For Starters, Happy Fathers Day!!!

The seats look beautiful and complete the interior nicely!! What brand of seats did you guys get? How do you like them?

You will enjoy tuning the different speakers to work in concert and will learn ALOT along the way.trink40.gif

For Starters, Happy Fathers Day!!!

The seats look beautiful and complete the interior nicely!! What brand of seats did you guys get? How do you like them?

You will enjoy tuning the different speakers to work in concert and will learn ALOT along the way.trink40.gif

Thanks for the Happy Fathers Day! The seats are from JDM. For the price(250 for the pr/shp) they seem to sit good. Recline nice and the shoulder bolsters and the 4pt harness will keep my son pinned in. I think with the suspension mods it may not be that fast but he should be able to take a corner like the car is on rails without flyin' out of the seat.

We are going to give a shot at an active setup for the front stage. Hoping we will have the patience to get it like we want. With 2-4channel amps we should have the capability. This will be first attempt at active. :shrug:

What are you guys using for prossessing/x-overs?

Don't know how it is going to work but for now we are going to try the xovers in the amps. After reading over the manual I think we can make it work. What ar your thoughts? http://www.soundstream.com/manuals/2009/SS_2009%20D-Tower%20Series%20Amplifiers.pdf

CONTROL FUNCTIONS

14. X-over mode and frequency Control (Monoblocks)

These controls allow control over the frequencies played for the rear channels.

There is an option for Low/BandPass, Full Range or High Pass. In HP mode, the frequency

range is from 15Hz to 500Hz. In LP mode, the frequency range can be switched from 50Hz

to 800Hz, or 250Hz to 4kHz. In the higher range, the LPF can be set at 4kHz for a midbass

while the front channels are also set at 4kHz for a tweeter resulting in a 2-way xover and

eliminating the need for a passive xover. Even with a set up like this, the midbass can still

be protected by the HPF which is not defeatable. It can be set anywhere in the 15Hz to

500Hz range creating a bandpass filter for the midbass by eliminating any damaging lower

frequencies in the subbass region.

Just to save me from rereading the whole thread, remind me of all the speakers and amps you are using and how you plan on wiring them?

Just to save me from rereading the whole thread, remind me of all the speakers and amps you are using and how you plan on wiring them?

OK Let me see if I can get this right:

#1-4chan. frnt chans to tweets (1 in each kick/1 in dash)

rear chans to mids (4" in each kick)

#2-4chan. frnt chans to rear spk (8" coaxial in each rear panel)

rear chans to midbass (6.5" in each door)

#3-mono 2-10" subs (10" separate chambers aprox. .75cu' ea. sealed)

#4-mono 1-15" sub (15" about 2.75cu.') right now still has dorked up port probly will seal it)

Amps-2-Soundstream DTR4.500

2-Soundstream DTR1.2200

Front 3 way is a O2 oxygen AIR2.63 + xtra Sounstream TWS.3

Rear Coaxials are AIR2.203

10" subs-Soundstream T5-10

15" sub-Sounstream T5-15

Hope that makes sense?

Edited by sefugi

It all makes sense. You are good the way you are wiring everything. smile.gif

First step, choose rough xover points and set the gains LOW.

The first problem you are going to run into is getting all the different drivers in phase with each other. the out of phase drivers will be fighting/barking at each other SO this is going to the first step after choosing rough xover points. you will want to start with the highs first, once they are in phase with each other, then add in the next set and get those drivers in phase, then add the next set and repeat until you get to the subs. You DON'T want to turn everything on at first, just the highs and then work your way down adding one set at a time.

You want to choose xover points for all the drivers that will allow them to work in concert without fighting/barking at each other. One tip I will give you is try a little underlap at the crossover points, More so the higher ones.

The next step is matching the gains. You will once again set you highs by themselfs to the highest level they will play, then bring each set up to that level one at a time. once you have everything in phase and the gains roughly set you will slowly notice little things to fine tune. i.e. adjusting the speakers that sound out of place/barking. you can also listen to each pair by themselfs once set up to make sure you aren't staining anything.

Don't expect this all to happen in one day either, it will take a few weeks.smile.gif

It all makes sense. You are good the way you are wiring everything. smile.gif

First step, choose rough xover points and set the gains LOW.

The first problem you are going to run into is getting all the different drivers in phase with each other. the out of phase drivers will be fighting/barking at each other SO this is going to the first step after choosing rough xover points. you will want to start with the highs first, once they are in phase with each other, then add in the next set and get those drivers in phase, then add the next set and repeat until you get to the subs. You DON'T want to turn everything on at first, just the highs and then work your way down adding one set at a time.

You want to choose xover points for all the drivers that will allow them to work in concert without fighting/barking at each other. One tip I will give you is try a little underlap at the crossover points, More so the higher ones.

The next step is matching the gains. You will once again set you highs by themselfs to the highest level they will play, then bring each set up to that level one at a time. once you have everything in phase and the gains roughly set you will slowly notice little things to fine tune. i.e. adjusting the speakers that sound out of place/barking. you can also listen to each pair by themselfs once set up to make sure you aren't staining anything.

Don't expect this all to happen in one day either, it will take a few weeks.smile.gif

Well you must have been reading my mind. I was planning on starting high and work my way to the lows. I have my brother lined up to come and do some listening to the system as we make adjustments. His ears are fine tuned. He does a lot of recording and cutting cd's. I think his input would be greatly utilized. What type of tracks would you recomend for making a lot of these adjustments. I was thinking something along the lines of some type of jazz music? I know there are a lot of tracks out there and there are some great systems that you never really know what they can sound like because some peoples music choices are so narrow.

You will want CDs you are familliar with and that aren't to busy. I think older recordings sound better to me because of how they where recorded/produced, not compressed, or boosted on the mixing board in the studio. I look for music thats well microphoned in the studio, like Metallica for exsample. I usaully listen to a few different genre's so I can pick at different instrarments as I am tuning. Your brothers opinions will be PRICELESS, buy that man a 12 pack.smile.gif

BTW I listen to just about EVERY type of music out there, everything from Speed metal to country western all the way to hip-hop and rap. I have REALLY been enjoying the live channel on sirius(17) and ALOT of jazz just because my system sounds SOOOO NATURAL.biggrin.gif

"ALOT of jazz" You know it! When I had my system back in the mid-late '90's when I competed I would listen to jazz and hear notes I had not heard before. Didn't know my system could sound like that. I have introduced my son to that over the last few years and he has a great appreciation for all types of music. Thanks!

Edited by sefugi

I want to see the exterior also :P

I want to see the exterior also :P

We are excited to get started painting! So give us a few weeks and maybe we can show you the car with some color :drink40:

Got the amp design roughed out. Test fitted most of the components and the enclosures. May make some changes, but for the most part we think this is it.

101709016.jpg

By sefugi at 2010-06-20

The bottom plate is to clean up the area below the amp rack itself and we will have a few neon tubes mounted on it glowing below the amp rack.

101709017.jpg

By sefugi at 2010-06-20

Was difficult getting the correct clearance we needed so we could keep the strut bar in the rear.

101709018.jpg

By sefugi at 2010-06-20

These pics are minus 1-4channel amp that is coming soon.

101709019.jpg

By sefugi at 2010-06-20

101709020.jpg

By sefugi at 2010-06-20

101709021.jpg

By sefugi at 2010-06-20

101709023.jpg

By sefugi at 2010-06-20

One last shot of the layout through the hatch glass.

101709025.jpg

By sefugi at 2010-06-20

Now that this is completed we can move on to painting. :drink40:

wow, I cannot believe that I have some how missed this thread. i just went through all 12 pages. Great work guys. This looks like one hell of a project to work on. Very clean work. Can't wait to see the finished product. :drink40: