antonmiller

SPL BOX ADVICE CHEVY CAVALIER

Hi All,

Here is what ive learned form messing around with my Term-Lab and my Daily tuned box (2.5 cuft with 41 sq of port tuned to 34 hz wave guides and double kerfed port).

i have learned that the box is loudest firing towards the drivers side of the trunk completely sideways like this:

212e8e9.jpg

Im hitting a 146.7 outlaw doing this at 36 hz. Ive also tried flipping the box upside down and the port and sub position flipped and it doesnt matter on the meter which way it goes. now im thinking a 40-42 hz tune with aero ports, possibly 2 6" ones. now i want to hit a 150 with this outlaw, i believe it would be simple if i tuned the box higher and get some more control over the higher bass notes. also the number was with stock electrical one battery, in the end (very soon) i will have a 320 DC power alt and a yellow top up front and a kinetic 1800 in the back, im not sure but i may try to get the kinetic up fornt and put a 2400 in the back. but for right now the yellow top up frontwith the kinetic in the back is the plan.

So in the end, I wish for some help on how to accomplish my goal of the 150, i am willing to test almost anything that doesnt require me destroying my car or building more than 2 more boxes.

one more thought, could i just add 2 x 4s to the box that i have now to increase tuning? like if i brought the box volume to about 2 cuft it would change the tuning to 38 hz (did the math). what would be effected by this? would i have more power handleing? would it decrease the efficiency of the power i throw at the sub (this is very important as in the class i will be running i can only use 2000 wrms of clamped power)?

so SPL guru's, What would you do?

Man, with that cool ass car, you should be cometing in SQ !!! Then again, just me...

Best of luck with your number goal. That amp you have there, can you strap another one to it?? Got room for more batteries??

generally speaking, making the box smaller decreases efficiency, but increases power handling. try adding 2x4's to the inside of it and see what it does...it cant hurt anything because u could just take them back out if it drops ur numbers.

What sub is this and size? What's your vehicle peak? Also, if you add those 2x4s and you do gain a little bit, try to apply duct tape over them evenly so they would be smoother. That may or may not help but I doubt that it will drop your score. Hell, try to apply duct tape over everything inside the box. Let me know how it goes.

Man, with that cool ass car, you should be cometing in SQ !!! Then again, just me...

Best of luck with your number goal. That amp you have there, can you strap another one to it?? Got room for more batteries??

LOL at the cool ass car comment. hahahaha. if your talking about the signature pic then thats just my dream, if your talking about the way it really is then i am sorry for you... lol. dang i didnt know i was that good at photoshop... haha

and i could strap another one, just not right now, im restricted by power, can only throw 2000 watts clamped power at the sub so doing the extra amp wouldnt help, yes i do have room for more batteries.

some how it poped up to a 147.0 @ 34 hz today... could the temperature have an effect on it? it was a little cool today, maybe the alt was putting out more power or something... but i repeated the score 4 time buy letting it sit for 5 minute with car off and turning it all back on... IDK, but i find it impressive for the 12" to hit that loud and low... but its still no 150. still need suggestions.

Retune the enclosure to 40 htz might help. Might not sound as good though ,,, just a suggestion sir. :drink40:

Hmm, how many cu ft is your trunk? If I have similar space, I may have to try the same method. Obviously different cars perform different, though.

Hmm, how many cu ft is your trunk? If I have similar space, I may have to try the same method. Obviously different cars perform different, though.

not sure, you could look up the specs some where on cargo volume. but i honestly dont know... its a 97 cavalier 2 door..

They look to be about the same, Im gonna have to try this when I get a chance. Seem to running similar enough setups. My MT is in 2.5, not sure of the tuning though, but it peaks at 39. My amp is an SAZ1500, though.

bump to help bump my score...

Point everything foreward and seal off the cabin from the trunk. Mess with the seat positions and keep the sun visors down etc. I've noticed that most 1-12"/2-10"/1-15" SPL setups are tuned around 40hz and burp with 8k for 150-152db, so 2k is just not going to get you 150dB. Are you positive you can't fit a 15"? Can you modify the trunk opening to use an 18 in 6 cubes?

Peaking at 36 hz is way low for SPL. You need to tune that higher if you want to gain. That will have the biggest impact of anything you could do.

Oh, and yes temperature does have an effect on it. I heard of a big time competitor a few years ago that recommended running your AC full blast for a while before the run to get the car's temperature down as much as possible, turn it off and let the voltage get back up, then burp.

Point everything foreward and seal off the cabin from the trunk. Mess with the seat positions and keep the sun visors down etc. I've noticed that most 1-12"/2-10"/1-15" SPL setups are tuned around 40hz and burp with 8k for 150-152db, so 2k is just not going to get you 150dB. Are you positive you can't fit a 15"? Can you modify the trunk opening to use an 18 in 6 cubes?

no mods to the trunk can happen, its in the rules.. i really just want to do it with one 12. im about 99% positive if i put another 12 in there ont he same power i would get there. lol. but thats not my goal. my goal is 1 12" on 2000 clamped power. and btw 1 15 in trunk class is putting up a 150 on 2000 watts clamped power..

as soon as i can find some time im going to try to increase box tunign some how, probly build a new box...

I have an 03 cavi myself an I have 2 12 inch hertz energys an I hit 140.3 an I'm only runnin a vega 500.1 an my box is tuned @34. I lik that you are you trying to hit150

Bump up the tuning and try a bigger box (3-3.5cf) with a single 6 inch aero so you can keep it short while testing and tuning.

I think more port area + larger box would give you a better score.

Remember though, as you start increasing internal area mechanical failure becomes more likely, especially when doing SPL.

With that much power he is more than likely safe. We've clamped ~4200w on one btl 12 and were burping it at 42hz. 2.5cf box and 8 inch aero.

Various other things to try besides building a new box. As stated before.

Vents, Seats,Visor,Door/window, Sitting in an out, Etc.

My cavy liked sub and port forward none sealed off and tire cover out. 01 model. Box was to large for what I was doing and peaked between 46 and 49hz.

Try testing with port plugged in that position and others and see where it peaks. Try door and window combinations as well before tuneing. Then go off that to tune the box. test tune and repeat till maxed.

Afterwards you can work on seats and so forth. I can give you info on what worked in mine for various things besides box, but no garuntee it would work in your application.

I agree with everyone who is saying bigger box and more port area.

What happened to your other box? I know that you made 2 in your build log...

I have the same goal for my 12 ( Sundown top with a T3 Audio motor ) good luck looks like your almost there.

I have an 03 cavi myself an I have 2 12 inch hertz energys an I hit 140.3 an I'm only runnin a vega 500.1 an my box is tuned @34. I lik that you are you trying to hit150

thanks man. my best score so far is a 147.5 on 1917 watts clamped @ 34 hz. i recently bought 2 6 inch aeros and will be building a 3 cubic foot box tuned to 50 hz here shortly. hopfully that gets me close to the 50 mark. and the best part about this design is that if i block off one of the 6 inch aeros it tuned the box to 34 hz again for daily! its just crazy how it works out!

^^ Should work. Mine peaked between 46 and 49hz. Even tho we all know each vehicle is different. G/L with build and keep updated

starting to try and build my very first flared port, 8" ID sono tube (verified at the store, 8" ID) some foam stuff foil tape for a base, this is just the mold so far, going to fiberglass over this we will see how it turns out. i also found butyl rubber on a roll for around 17$ not very thick, but will do an amazing job at sealing things off!

31972_126576667366940_100000438215785_223763_5792064_n.jpg

31972_126576677366939_100000438215785_223764_5080652_n.jpg

31972_126576680700272_100000438215785_223765_4655749_n.jpg

31972_126576687366938_100000438215785_223766_7548803_n.jpg

31972_126576694033604_100000438215785_223767_2131381_n.jpg

31972_126576700700270_100000438215785_223768_149490_n.jpg

so if you have any pointer at making the flared port, please do share! Thanks