Well guys and gals, I got the box carpeted ( not finished with looks ) and installed the amp temporary mounted to a spot in the trunk. My box worked out to be 3.6 after all bracing, double baffle, port and sub displacement, tuned at 33.9HZ. My amp is a MTX Thunder Elite 1501D , 1663 watts 1ohm at 14.4 volts.

My first inital response was wow this thing sucks! Then I quickly realized that I forgot to turn the subwoofer control on the head unit up. DUH! This thing puts my two alpine type x 12's to bed. I haven't even broke her in yet and she is impressive already. Superb sounding, very clear all thru the frequency range. A little lit on the upper ranges but that could be box and amp issues. Could be the fact that I went from 12's to a 15 also.

I didn't bother with pics of the box building as it gets boring seeing a square box with a port being built and I didn't do any special stuff to the box to make it look good in carpet besides running the edges down. Once i get my trim pieces made and painted and my amp rack made and mounted i will post those pics.

I do have a question though, What would it take to get in the 140's with this 15, this box is as big as it can get for the trunk, its definately hitting harder than those 12's and sounds way better but im wondering what i could do to get in the 140s, keep in mind i haven't metered yet it just doesn't feel like a 140+ pull.

test what you have now, position the box differenty, use different port and sub firing positions (sub back/port back) and keep testing to see what gets the loudest. if you want to get crazy face the port and sub to cabin and seal off the trunk. tune higher if you're just going for strictly numbers.

it must not be easy to get into the 140s with a daily box huh. thanks for the input.

I am pulling a 143 at 36hz in a single cab dodge ram with an Icon. I am sure you can reach the 140's. Keep testing as stated above. Get it metered and take some pics :fing34:

I am pulling a 143 at 36hz in a single cab dodge ram with an Icon. I am sure you can reach the 140's. Keep testing as stated above. Get it metered and take some pics :fing34:

thats not a trunk though....

Im just trying to figure out how he got a icon behind the seat of a regular cab pickup

Im just trying to figure out how he got a icon behind the seat of a regular cab pickup

ROFL

What seems impossible to you can be easy (or not) for others !!! imagination, skills, tools, help,......:peepwall:

ROFL

What seems impossible to you can be easy (or not) for others !!! imagination, skills, tools, help,......:peepwall:

Not to hijack your thread but it was rather easy and my next build will be 2 12" Xcons. (I've actually got room for 2 18's Sealed). You should check out my build log. Build Log Link

Edited by ChaosWarlord26

thats not a trunk though....

Your right, it is harder in a standard truck. Because there is less physical length for the bass wave to extend. So I have to play a lower frenquecy which is harder to get higher SPL numbers. (I'm only getting a quarter wave length at most). Whith that Xcon and built to spec box and the appropiate power he should be able to hit mid to high 140's.

Well guys and gals, I got the box carpeted ( not finished with looks ) and installed the amp temporary mounted to a spot in the trunk. My box worked out to be 3.6 after all bracing, double baffle, port and sub displacement, tuned at 33.9HZ. My amp is a MTX Thunder Elite 1501D , 1663 watts 1ohm at 14.4 volts.

My first inital response was wow this thing sucks! Then I quickly realized that I forgot to turn the subwoofer control on the head unit up. DUH! This thing puts my two alpine type x 12's to bed. I haven't even broke her in yet and she is impressive already. Superb sounding, very clear all thru the frequency range. A little lit on the upper ranges but that could be box and amp issues. Could be the fact that I went from 12's to a 15 also.

I didn't bother with pics of the box building as it gets boring seeing a square box with a port being built and I didn't do any special stuff to the box to make it look good in carpet besides running the edges down. Once i get my trim pieces made and painted and my amp rack made and mounted i will post those pics.

I do have a question though, What would it take to get in the 140's with this 15, this box is as big as it can get for the trunk, its definately hitting harder than those 12's and sounds way better but im wondering what i could do to get in the 140s, keep in mind i haven't metered yet it just doesn't feel like a 140+ pull.

Love that part that is highlighted above. :) As mentioned, it will take testing and adjustment to find out what you are doing in terms of output.

I need a buddy with a meter, Denim any suggestions? My crappy cell phone app for the droid topped out a 118 on the windshield so at least i know im louder than a weedeater. ahahahahahaha

There is a group buy going on for a lesser expensive db meter.

I need a buddy with a meter, Denim any suggestions? My crappy cell phone app for the droid topped out a 118 on the windshield so at least i know im louder than a weedeater. ahahahahahaha

That's funny sh-- right there! LOL

What? No pics? How dare you post this! tongue.gif

Like i stated above Im not posting pics of a square box and a amp mounted just to the floor of the trunk, i am going to finish the box out with trim and paint, make my amp rack and then take pics of the finished product. i have some pics already in my build log for a 2004 mitsubhishi lancer ralliart.

Like i stated above Im not posting pics of a square box and a amp mounted just to the floor of the trunk, i am going to finish the box out with trim and paint, make my amp rack and then take pics of the finished product. i have some pics already in my build log for a 2004 mitsubhishi lancer ralliart.

No excuses, we need progress pics...fing34.gif

J/K man, just playin'!

Your good, I didn't mean to come off sounding like a dick.

No, no were all good! No foul no harm!

trink40.gif

Just to clear up a misnomer in the original post... Size of woofer has nothing to do with what notes it is capable of hitting.

Just fyi.

But does the old addage there's no replacement for displacement come to play though. 8-10 years ago walking around old whitley shows in ga guys used to say that spl was directly related to cone area? I haven't quite formed a opinion on the matter so i would love to hear some discussion.

Increasing cone area adds to the potential to get louder. If you have the same model 10 & 12, both in the correct air-space, the same tune, same amp, the 12 should get louder, there's no way around it. Even in the same space the 12 should be louder. More air moved = louder, then you have efficiency. If you have the 12 in a crap box it might not be as loud as the 10 in a good box, but it'd have to be a reeeeallly crappy box. My short definition of SPL is the correct ratio of cabin gain is needed for best results, you kind of want it to be like the cabin itself is the box. That's why ported walls work so good, it's like the cabin is the sealed part of a 4th-order bandpass, only it's not a 4th order because it's being ported into the sealed part. What is that, 12th order?

For someone to say that a 10 is generally louder than a 12 isn't true, and I've heard it before, the guy said "don't believe that 12's are louder than 10's", while if you give me the same model 12 over the 10 I can guarantee I'll get louder with the 12. The people that say "there's no replacement for displacement" don't even know they're talking about 4 18's, etc, like they're saying "that's loud because it's huge and I approve!". What I can't stand is that I know if I ever had an 18" in the trunk, no matter how loud it is, no matter what brand it is, no matter what design I've used, my n00b friends are going to say "well no wonder it's loud, it's an 18!", like they don't know that 2 12's has about the same cone area, yet they couldn't tell you what efficiency was.

Your talking about volume, he's talking about frequency. He said all sizes of woofers play the same frequency's, with cone area comes volume though.

i understand, its kinda like having a 400 horsepower 454 v8 against a 400 horsepower 4 cylinder, both naturally aspirated. right? even though the liters "displacement" are alot smaller with the 4 cylinder its still making power just like the larger V8

I just have to say that We are 110 Percent happy with the XCON! It is breaking in and turning heads, not just in sound quality but output. Thanks SSA for a quality product for a very very great price!

I just have to say that We are 110 Percent happy with the XCON! It is breaking in and turning heads, not just in sound quality but output. Thanks SSA for a quality product for a very very great price!

That what we do ;), thanks for your business!