Currently I'm running off ALL stock electrical in my 99 Grand Am. I found an extra car battery in the garage the other day, and got to wondering. I know that deep cell batteries such as the optimas and kinetics are optimal, but would a regular crank battery help my electrical system out at all? It's not reccommended I know, but I have it and if it would help then I don't see why not until I do get a deep cell.

Additional Info:

Big 3 is NOT done yet.

Running a 1000w Memphis Class D @ 1ohm

1 run of 1/0 power to a dist. block in the trunk with a run of 4g to the sub amp and a run of 8g to the mid/highs amp.

Got the 1/0 ground from the amp to chassis

Stock batt and alt

Currently I'm running off ALL stock electrical in my 99 Grand Am. I found an extra car battery in the garage the other day, and got to wondering. I know that deep cell batteries such as the optimas and kinetics are optimal, but would a regular crank battery help my electrical system out at all? It's not reccommended I know, but I have it and if it would help then I don't see why not until I do get a deep cell.

Additional Info:

Big 3 is NOT done yet.

Running a 1000w Memphis Class D @ 1ohm

1 run of 1/0 power to a dist. block in the trunk with a run of 4g to the sub amp and a run of 8g to the mid/highs amp.

Got the 1/0 ground from the amp to chassis

Stock batt and alt

An additional battery would help. But dont expect a large increase in peformance....but hey every little bit helps. You REALLY need to get the Big 3 done. You will get better performance out of your current battery and your alternator.

big 3 is a must also it wouldn't hurt to get the alt freshened up or even ask about an upgrade they normally don't cost that much!

as for the battery go for it you don't have anything to lose!!

also keep in mind batteries that aren't sealed will release a smell in your trunk hench why they get put under the hood!

If your stock electrical is as bad as mine was on my 99 Grand Am then you need any help you can get. Definitely do the Big 3. Are you getting dimming because I had some dimming with only about 700 watts on the stock electrical.

Seriously if you put that regular non sealed batt in the trunk and run it, it will release gases and sulfuric acid out of the caps. that is bad and dangerous. it will eat thru paint carpet anything close to it. plus the gas is noxious. if you going to do it place it in one of those marine battery housing you can get at autozone for like 15 bucks.

I have the battery running in my room hooked to a 3 amp 15v battery charger running to a 1000w sony xplod amp to a kicker CVR. It has yet to release anything but electricity to my amp. Is the smell and leaking an issue with all marine batteries? It's been in my room for about 3 days and has done fine.

its a marine battery? once a battery gets under a serious load for a long time it will start to heat up which is what causes the gases to be vented. and if it gets really beat then the distilled water and sulfuric acid will bubble up out the tops.

They release hydrogen during charging IIRC. Don't make your car a "bomb." :lol:

Well it's not looking like a good idea to put the battery in the trunk. I don't think I want to risk the releasing of hydrogen gas and acids in my car hahah. I think I'll just wait to purchase a deep cell and do the big 3 in the mean time. Thanks for the input though guys. Probably saved me a lot of trouble lol

Well it's not looking like a good idea to put the battery in the trunk. I don't think I want to risk the releasing of hydrogen gas and acids in my car hahah. I think I'll just wait to purchase a deep cell and do the big 3 in the mean time. Thanks for the input though guys. Probably saved me a lot of trouble lol

I wouldnt use a battery that is not intended to for car audio use in the car for audio use especially if your pushing it to its limits. But there is no problem with putting a battery in your truck as long as it is mounted okay and secure, my stock battery is in the trunk (along with a lot of other cars) and my secondary will be back there as well. No problems or smells at all, the only time I had a smell in my car was when my Optima swelled up and busted (this was user error).