Dictator1992

Sound quality mp3 player??

I was looking around at mp3 players and trying to figure out what would sound better on my car stereo system. Came upon this new mp3 player called cowon j3 Koreon device just came out has eq and all other kind of stuff on it says its a SQ mp3 player also supports flac files. . One thing i found out flac files are the best sounding type files and ipods dont support them. Is this the real deal or can find something similar??? the price of it is cheaper then the ipod(Not that much).

I was looking around at mp3 players and trying to figure out what would sound better on my car stereo system. Came upon this new mp3 player called cowon j3 Koreon device just came out has eq and all other kind of stuff on it says its a SQ mp3 player also supports flac files. . One thing i found out flac files are the best sounding type files and ipods dont support them. Is this the real deal or can find something similar??? the price of it is cheaper then the ipod(Not that much).

well how do you plan on hooking this device up to your deck?

through the radio? a usb port? aux?

your saying its not much cheaper than a ipod. I'd say get a 80gb or 160gb ipod and hook it up directly to the deck so you can have full control over your library. just encode your cd's in apple's lossless format. It's supposed to keep the cd quality but the size of the file will be half of what a wav format will be.

well how do you plan on hooking this device up to your deck?

through the radio? a usb port? aux?

your saying its not much cheaper than a ipod. I'd say get a 80gb or 160gb ipod and hook it up directly to the deck so you can have full control over your library. just encode your cd's in apple's lossless format. It's supposed to keep the cd quality but the size of the file will be half of what a wav format will be.

going to be hooked up aux way and who wants to go into the ipod fad :( !

yeah i understand you not wanting to go into the ipod fad. The only reason i bought one was because it was the only mp3 player that had the backing of mostly all car stereo's. Believe me if creative or the zune had integration in all car decks like the ipod does I would have went with either of them.

But i read a article that said aux is probably the 2nd best way to hook up your mp3 player next to full integration plugging in your ipod through its docking portwhich is the best.

Also if your deck is capable of using portable hdd's that would be better than a ipod.

There isn't much of a difference between flac and a 320kb mp3. They're both compressed formats

Just stick with an ipod

a vbr mp3 sounds fine imo

My Zune HD has excellent sq in my car. As far as I know, Cowon is known for sq. It won't be bad, but get some type of docking station. My Zune sucked to control while driving until I got one.

I didn't want to go with the iPod fad either, but there 7th gen iPod classic is just too nice, easy to use, and I can control it fully from my head unit.

There isn't much of a difference between flac and a 320kb mp3. They're both compressed formats

Just stick with an ipod

I'm sorry, but WRONG.

yes, they are both compressed. But there is a HUGE difference between lossy(mp3) and lossless formats such as flac. lossless formats compress without throwing tons of data out, they keep it, it is an exact replica of the source.

Mp3 and SP don't go together really. All MP3 files are compressed, although most people, me included can't tell the difference. I use an 80g iPod classic with an Alpine deck and love it. If you really want to use FLAC (lossless) files, then you could use an external hard drive, or memory stick and plug it into a deck with USB support. I know that with my Alpine deck, you can plug in a USB stick and browse through the folders. The thing is it only supports MP3 and WMA I'm pretty sure, so you couldn't use the FLAC. As stated before, I don't think there is too much difference between 320k MP3 and FLAC, but I could be wrong.

Mp3 and SP don't go together really. All MP3 files are compressed, although most people, me included can't tell the difference. I use an 80g iPod classic with an Alpine deck and love it. If you really want to use FLAC (lossless) files, then you could use an external hard drive, or memory stick and plug it into a deck with USB support. I know that with my Alpine deck, you can plug in a USB stick and browse through the folders. The thing is it only supports MP3 and WMA I'm pretty sure, so you couldn't use the FLAC. As stated before, I don't think there is too much difference between 320k MP3 and FLAC, but I could be wrong.

true **** but i would also love a mp3 player for sports and stuff and the cowon j3 has a very tough screen compared to the ipod. I see plenty of cracked ipod screens. Im going to go with the new cowon mp3 player always willing to try a new product.

Its a car. Don't worry if you have FLAC or not.

There's an Ipod fad? Wtf why does it have to be a fad. Its just a device that holds you're music instead of caring 300 cd's around everwhere. Yea they are more popular than most other mp3 player's but the quality is good too. IMO anyway...

Just stick with an ipod

I'm sorry, but WRONG.

yes, they are both compressed. But there is a HUGE difference between lossy(mp3) and lossless formats such as flac. lossless formats compress without throwing tons of data out, they keep it, it is an exact replica of the source.

Err, sort of. Large difference in what data is there yes, but most importantly there will be NO difference to your ears. Don't believe me? Easy test.

Rip a well recorded song onto a disc in FLAC. Save it. Convert to 320kps.

Convert the 320kps song to FLAC (note it will still whatever was lost before lost again).

Have someone blindly A/B you both songs, or even easier just have them label them and try to pick which one is the mp3.

I guarantee you won't be able to pick the one that is compressed. I've done this with some of my friends and they can't pick the 192's even.

There's an Ipod fad? Wtf why does it have to be a fad. Its just a device that holds you're music instead of caring 300 cd's around everwhere. Yea they are more popular than most other mp3 player's but the quality is good too. IMO anyway...

Apple hasn't made a product worth buying in over 7 years, but due to the sales figures everyone and their dog are jumping on the gravy train

Sounds like a fad to me

Cowon is a good choice, as are the Archos, Creative, Microsoft, Samsung, and Sony players

Apple hasn't made a product worth buying in over 7 years, but due to the sales figures everyone and their dog are jumping on the gravy train

Sounds like a fad to me

Cowon is a good choice, as are the Archos, Creative, Microsoft, Samsung, and Sony players

thanks peng i was looking at those other brands but i wanted something with wifi and the j3 has wifi and some. Also looks pimp!

I just buy them to put music on. To me it just seems like evryone has something to bitch about. I mean think about it ten years ago they didn't have touch screens you couldn't put 30000 songs on a device the size of a credit card you couldn't take pics with you're phone or videos. I know technology has came a long way. I just think some people take shit for granted and don't really appreciate what they have...

I just buy them to put music on. To me it just seems like evryone has something to bitch about. I mean think about it ten years ago they didn't have touch screens you couldn't put 30000 songs on a device the size of a credit card you couldn't take pics with you're phone or videos. I know technology has came a long way. I just think some people take shit for granted and don't really appreciate what they have...

True, but that still does not excuse Apple's products being more fluff than substance. Kind of like Starbucks, (or if you want a car stereo reference, pretty much anything inside a Best Buy).

Kudos to Steve Jobs though for his immense business success, even if he is a giant douche.

I see where you are coming. And respect that. Just seems dumb to me idk. Lol. What about the Iphone? That's all fluff? I dnt personally have one but I bought my gf one and other than actually you know what it does seem like a pos now that I think about it. And my ipod classic for som reason deleted everything from itself. And they freeze up all the time. Lol. I see what you are sayin now.

I see where you are coming. And respect that. Just seems dumb to me idk. Lol. What about the Iphone? That's all fluff? I dnt personally have one but I bought my gf one and other than actually you know what it does seem like a pos now that I think about it. And my ipod classic for som reason deleted everything from itself. And they freeze up all the time. Lol. I see what you are sayin now.

I've had a iPod classic 80g for like five years and never had a problem with it. I wouldnt know about the screens cracking since I use a hard case with mine. It still looks like brand new when you pop it out of the case. I've left it in my truck when its below freezing and above 100, and it works every time.

I have a 30 gig I've had it for 6 years like 5k songs on it well did but I left it in my car all the time and had a hard case but the one time I took it out of the case the screen cracked. I wasn't to worried about it since it was just for music but about a month ago I hooked it to my radio and went to listen to some music ( lil wayne I believe) and nothing showed up. So I disconected it nothing showed up in the ipod so I rebooted it and still nothing. It basicly deleted everything from itself all my music like 6 years of music that had been downloaded overtime 90 percent of which I can't even remember, plus games that were on there photos and a bunch of movies, every episode of jackass, family guy and some music videos. I still don't know what happened but it pisses me off.

It's not like your gonna be one of those people on the commercial dancing around with your white earphones on and shit.

I used to use my ipod when i walked around campus now i only use it for my car.

I do need to replace the battery though cause it goes dead in 30 mins whenever i use it to workout at the gym.

Get a 120gb or 160gb and appreciate the extra space.

And just encode all your cd's in wav or Apple Lossless format.

Initially the iPhone was mostly fluff; the only competitive advantage it had was the touchscreen interface. With subsequent releases, however, its beginning to flesh out as a truly competitive product. I'm still a big fan of Android devices; with just a tiny bit of know-how they are fully customizable, far more affordable, and best of all, aren't tethered to iTunes. Oh and they can run Flash, too. I'm beginning to go off on a tangent so that's all I'm going to say on that matter

Back on topic: Chances are you'll love the Cowon :lol2:

To me, 192Kbps is the sweet spot. Not that I will complain if I have a song at 128kbps, but I will if it is something like 96kbps.

Stereo, 192Kbps, 44Khz is my choice. the files are not too big and keep good quality.

About the connection, I use AUX. The problem with AUX is that there is no volume normalization so you have the volume from the ipod and the headunit. Even when normalization is enabled in itunes, there is still a lot of volume difference in a lot of songs. Straight connection through the data port is best.

Edited by slim142

Just stick with an ipod

I'm sorry, but WRONG.

Err, sort of. Large difference in what data is there yes, but most importantly there will be NO difference to your ears. Don't believe me? Easy test.

Convert the 320kps song to FLAC (note it will still whatever was lost before lost again).

Have someone blindly A/B you both songs, or even easier just have them label them and try to pick which one is the mp3.

I guarantee you won't be able to pick the one that is compressed. I've done this with some of my friends and they can't pick the 192's even.

A few years back when I was ripping my library, I did have somebody blind A/B me..... And I could pick out the 320s from the lossless. However, I am sure the technology has improved over the past couple years, and I may not be able to hear a difference if I tried today. :shrug:

Just stick with an ipod

I'm sorry, but WRONG.

A few years back when I was ripping my library, I did have somebody blind A/B me..... And I could pick out the 320s from the lossless. However, I am sure the technology has improved over the past couple years, and I may not be able to hear a difference if I tried today. :shrug:

I also hear difference between 256kbps, and a lossless.

There is the most difference at the higher freqeuncy ranges, and on some songs you have "hidden" instruments, on 256 they fade away but not in lossless format.

(But for most of the time 256kbps will do.)

Edited by kirill007