b34tBoX

How to cut q-logic kick panels for speakers?

I figured I only have one chance to do it right, so I thought it would be best to ask.

I had planned on using my circle jig with my dremel but because of the design, I can't get the jig to sit flush with the surface to be cut.

What's the best method to cut a hole for 6.5" and 1" tweeter?

just freehand the dremel, after you measure and draw your circle :shrug: it doesnt need to be exactly perfect, just to let your speaker through, and have enough room to mount it

just freehand the dremel, after you measure and draw your circle :shrug: it doesnt need to be exactly perfect, just to let your speaker through, and have enough room to mount it

Just with a cutting bit, I assume.

And then drill pilot holes for screws to be used for mounting?

Depends a bit on where and how you are building a support baffle for them. If you are just cutting material and slapping the driver in....well you shouldn't.

On mine, I used a dremel with a spiral cutting bit as suggested above, used liberal amounts of damping material on the back side, and also used a piece of 1/2"mdf on the backside for the screws to have something to bite to. I'll try to get pics tonight and post them if you would like to see. The difference was noticable from the damped pair to my undamped pair, those buzzed like a hive full of bees. :ohnoes9:

On mine, I used a dremel with a spiral cutting bit as suggested above, used liberal amounts of damping material on the back side, and also used a piece of 1/2"mdf on the backside for the screws to have something to bite to. I'll try to get pics tonight and post them if you would like to see.

X2

This is what I used as well on mine.

These pods are made of abs plastic. If you score the plastic with a razor then bend it, it'll break at the scored line. For the mid I drew the circle. Then I used a razor blade to score the plastic where I drew the circle. You don't have to go to deep. I used a 2" hole saw to cutout the center. Then I scored some lines from the outer circle to the center. I followed up with some channel locks and from the center out bent the plastic till it broke at the scored line. It's time consuming. :( Hope this helps. By the way, use a hole saw for the tweeter.

On mine, I used a dremel with a spiral cutting bit as suggested above, used liberal amounts of damping material on the back side, and also used a piece of 1/2"mdf on the backside for the screws to have something to bite to. I'll try to get pics tonight and post them if you would like to see. The difference was noticable from the damped pair to my undamped pair, those buzzed like a hive full of bees. :ohnoes9:

That sounds like a good idea with the MDF rings underneath.

Plus it'll give me a chance to use my circle jig. =D

What material did you use to dampen?

I should have some extra b-quiet ultimate laying around to use. Would that be OK to use on the underside?

Yup. Add a couple layers of deadener. They are light and cheap out of the box but after a few layers of dynamat make a huge difference. Much more solid.

That sounds like a good idea with the MDF rings underneath.

Plus it'll give me a chance to use my circle jig. =D

What material did you use to dampen?

I should have some extra b-quiet ultimate laying around to use. Would that be OK to use on the underside?

I used some old dynamat that I had laying around to dampen, but any good damping material would work. As you know, just make sure that the backside of the q-form is cleaned well with alcohol to make sure it sticks.

Here's a couple of pics showing the rings I used on the backside.

gallery_7289_352_291678.jpg

gallery_7289_352_679376.jpg

gallery_7289_352_566519.jpg

Hope that gives you some ideas!

Band saw would be my choice, but not everyone has one of those.

band-saw-blade-359435.jpg

yeah bandsaws are the shit

Thanks guys, I'll post pics when I am done, during this weekend. :neil:

Edited by b34tBoX

I think you guys give good advice, here are the results.

kick_1.jpg

kick_3.jpg

kick_2.jpg

kick_4.jpg

kick_5.jpg

I'm going to make sure to add a layer of sound deadener when I wire them up!

As well as paint the mounting screws so they don't reflect.

BTW, that's two sets of CDT CL-62 w/ silk tweeters up front @ 600RMS.

I noticed on the one kick panel, the dremel with cutting bit didn't jump around much, but the second one for some reason kept jumping all over the place, even after changing to a new bit, was damn hard to keep steady.

Edited by b34tBoX