Tony Nelson

Trying to figure out subwoofer upgrades. Input please

Currently I have a Boston Acoustics G512-44 on a Rockford P1000-1bd. I have it sealed, running at 2-ohm, I like the way it sounds. I listen to mostly rock/rap, with the occasional classic rock and R&B. My goals are to have more output, but still keep accuracy. I really enjoy a tight double bass, and love the deep bass from rap. My G5 plays double bass really good, and hits lows alright. I know I could build a ported box and try that first, but I would like to try something new. Height wise, I cannot fit a 15 inch sub into my trunk, but do have quite a bit of room in there. I would like to stay sealed box, and maybe run two 12's or something. What would be your recommendations or thoughts? My budget would be around $4-500. I have been looking at Lethal Injections, or SA-12's, SSD's, Mach 5 IXL's. There is just so many options, I don't know which way to go.

What would match up the best in a sealed box, with around 1000 watts for one woofer, or 500 for two woofers?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

What kind of vehicle? Seems odd you can fit two twelves, but not a fifteen...

I think he was saying the height of his trunk estricts him from putting a 15 in there facing the rear.

Max box dimensions?

When picking a sub the first step is to determine the size of the box you can use. :)

Max box dimensions?

When picking a sub the first step is to determine the size of the box you can use. :)

I have a 2008 Dodge Avenger. It has a pretty large trunk, but underneath the back deck is a carpet type enclosure that hangs pretty far down. My current box is only 14" tall, and it hits the carpet thing. So unless I angle the box, a 15 wouldnt fit. I have about 36" width to play with, and 14" height. Depth would change depending on the airspace for the woofers. I don't want to extend too far into trunk, as I always have baseball gear (Bucket of balls and baseball bag), or golf clubs, or something back there. I dont want to lose the use of my trunk, thats why I was thinking sealed.

If you want sealed and a little more output, look into the SSA drivers too. Excellent SQ and output.

I asked for max box size, you almost answer :)

36x14x?

I would port 2 10" dcons or up the $ a touch and go with icons in that space.

:drink40:

I would port 2 10" dcons or up the $ a touch and go with icons in that space.

:drink40:

The Icons are sweet, but a little out of my price range. I also thought about maybe one larger ported 12 with the space that I have. I just need it to be accurate as well, I do not want a one note wonder. I have never ran a ported box in my system, but have design quite a few for friends, and I know they can sound good if done right. I just have never heard any of the woofers offered at SSA before, So I do not know what to expect.

He said Dcons.

Your other choice is a single ported 12. You could do 2 12's sealed but that will just cost you money for the extra driver.

He said Dcons.

Your other choice is a single ported 12. You could do 2 12's sealed but that will just cost you money for the extra driver.

I know he said dcons. He also mentioned Icons, which I said they would be out of my price range

DC Audio also an option, level 4 ships about 300 I think. But Fi, AA, SSA, all good. Definately go ported 12, a lot of the drivers listed will get you more output.

DC Audio also an option, level 4 ships about 300 I think. But Fi, AA, SSA, all good. Definately go ported 12, a lot of the drivers listed will get you more output.

How is the Xcon musically? I need it to blend with the whole system when I'm not slammin it, which I know it will do that. Isn't the Xcon leaning more toward the SPL spectrum?

The xcon will perform excellently on music

How would two Lethal Injections 12's compare to two SA-12's in terms of output ability and sound quality. Both sealed and each sub running off 500-600 watts?

How would two Lethal Injections 12's compare to two SA-12's in terms of output ability and sound quality. Both sealed and each sub running off 500-600 watts?

No one can tell you since it is all install dependent, the only way to tell is both both pairs and test them then share with us your review.

No one can tell you since it is all install dependent, the only way to tell is both both pairs and test them then share with us your review.

Ok. I can see how if one was running ported boxes, it would be more install dependent. But if they were in there recommended sealed boxes, how would they do? And I'm sure im gonna get the same response so lets here it.