Sign in to follow this  
Dan208

Need some computer help.

I'm wondering if someone has any idea why a website would just stop working for me? Here's what's happened.

A little over a month ago I was on a website and for some reason the pages stopped loading. I kept getting a message that said the internet could not connect to the website. I thought maybe the site was having problems, but after a week it still wouldn't work. Started checking with people and found out that the site was not down. I had about a half a dozen different communications with my ISP and they had no answer for why it wasn't working for me. I tried clearing out my cookies, deleting my browsing history, etc. I even went so far as to reinstall my OS. None of that worked. I tried three different browsers and none of them worked. I also tried my wife's laptop, but that didn't work either.

About a week ago, out of the blue, this site starts working for me again. This lasted about three or four days, then the same thing started happening.

Any idea what the problem could be? I don't understand why it would just start working then stop again.

You could be banned from that site or just restricted. I say contact the owner or the staff of that site.

Is there a reason you are not mentioning the site?

You could google some proxy sites and try open it through one.

What is the website?

And why is it so important?

Use a different IP and see if it works.

It's SMD. I don't think I would have been banned for anything, as I don't really post much there. It's not that important, I'm just trying to read all I can so I can learn more.

It's SMD. I don't think I would have been banned for anything, as I don't really post much there. It's not that important, I'm just trying to read all I can so I can learn more.

You could try resetting your router and see if that helps. Another thing that might be worth doing is going to start > run and type cmd, in the blackbox that pops up type tracert website.com and see where it's stopping at\how many hops are going through. (you can paste the results here).

You could try resetting your router and see if that helps. Another thing that might be worth doing is going to start > run and type cmd, in the blackbox that pops up type tracert website.com and see where it's stopping at\how many hops are going through. (you can paste the results here).

Also, this is a shot in the dark but you can run also try running mbam (http://www.malwarebytes.org/) and see if you have any crap installed on your system that would affect your web browser.

I reset my router right after this happened the first time but it didn't help.

I was able to access the site just now through a proxy server.

Also, this is a shot in the dark but you can run also try running mbam (http://www.malwarebytes.org/) and see if you have any crap installed on your system that would affect your web browser.

I've got a malware scan on my computer, but I'm not sure how good it is. I'll try this one.

Another thing that might be worth doing is going to start > run and type cmd, in the blackbox that pops up type tracert website.com and see where it's stopping at\how many hops are going through. (you can paste the results here).

I'll try this right now.

Edit: I did this, but can't figure out how to post the results. I tried to copy and paste, but it wouldn't let me.

Edited by Dan208

Try right clicking on the window, going to select all then it should be put in your clipboard.

Also, have you tried hard resetting your router? There should be a little button on the back of it you need to press in, and it'll clear all of the settings. You will need to reconfigure the router after so make sure you have all of your ISP settings.

Rather than doing all of that you could hook your modem up directly to your computer (make sure your windows is up to date) and see if it works then. This would eliminate your router as the source of the problem. Do you have another computer you can test with? If it works on another computer then something is wrong with your settings. If it doesn't, then most likely SMD blocked you for some reason.

Edited by Mr. Bojangles

I did a hard reset and tried running directly to the modem a few weeks ago, but neither worked.

For some reason I can't get it off the clipboard. I'm kind of a compter :noob:

Edit: Still can't get it to work on my wife's laptop. I'm almost through dealing with it and just saying screw it.

Edited by Dan208

I did a hard reset and tried running directly to the modem a few weeks ago, but neither worked.

Can you contact your ISP and see if they will reset your IP address? If they switch it and it works, then SMD banned your ip for some reason.

Can you contact your ISP and see if they will reset your IP address? If they switch it and it works, then SMD banned your ip for some reason.

I'll try that. Every time I contacted them I used chat, and they told me that it was a problem that couldn't be resolved in chat and that i needed to call their technical support. I communicate better through chat/forums than on a phone, and it wasn't that big of a deal, so I never called. Guess I may have to.