Kungfool

Buy RL-i 10?

Hey guys, new here.

I've been looking to buy a subwoofer for my vehicle (a subaru Forester), and I thought I had decided on a JL 10w6v2, but I don't really want to spend that much on a driver, and I wasn't sure it was the best bang for the buck.

I stumbled accross soundsplinter while browsing a few audio forums, and I noticed their generally favorable reviews. I did some research on the site, and saw that these drivers were supplied (or at least the motors) by TC-Sounds. Owning and SVS 25-31 PCi myself, and having a friend who owns a PC PLUS with a TC-Sounds driver, I am well aware of the quality of these drivers.

Here's my question. I was wondering if the RL-i 10 would be a good fit for my vehicle, in a .75 foot sealed enclosure? I am an SQ guy, looking for a fairly linear response and a good low end extension. The amp I am running can push 300 watts at 4 Ohms and a bit more at 2 ohms.

My other components are 2 Focal 1.65v component sets in the front doors, 2 eclipse 4" SE8243 coaxials in the rear, and (probably) an eclipse cd5435. The amp is a Phoenix Gold XS4600.

Thanks for any replies in advance.

Dave Blue

welcome Dave,

I tihnk the RL-i is a great driver, Mike can give you exact dimensions, I am sure you can still hold top notch SQ and go ported to pick up some output if you want

i think that amp/sub/box combo u have mapped out would work great. teh rl-i is a superb driver, one i think u'll be more then happy with!

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

OK, after much discussion with Mike, I went ahead and ordered an RL-i 10.

I'm thinking a .75 cubic foot box would be good, and I'll be feeding it about 350-400 watts.

Any suggestions?

that is a great start for sure

OK, after much discussion with Mike, I went ahead and ordered an RL-i 10.

I'm thinking a .75 cubic foot box would be good, and I'll be feeding it about 350-400 watts.

Any suggestions?

a little polyfill?

I ordered a custom box from www.klausaudio.com. I was going to build one, but these guys have great prices on custom boxes. You give them the specs on your sub, and whatever dimension limitations you might have, and they build it. I ordered a .6 cubic foot box (as per mike's recommendation), picked a carpet color, and had them polyfill it and angle the back of the box (to go up against the back seat). With everything, including shipping, the box came out to 79.91. I know I could have done it a lot cheaper myself, but I don't have a router to cut the sub hole, and I can imagine what my carpet job would have looked like.

Anyway, can't wait to get it all installed. I still have to pick a head unit...should be done in a few weeks.

Thanks for your suggestions.

FYI... we have members here that build excellent enclosures :)

:+1::+1:

In the future if you don't feel up to carpeting, paint and bed liner are to options you can do that'll look nice.

What kind of headunit you looking at?

The head unit I'm looking at is an Eclipse 5435. It has 5 volt preouts, supposed to be a very nice unit. Another feature I'm interested in is an auxillary input with adjustable input voltage. I'll use this for my Ipod.

For speaks and and amp, I've got Focal 165v component sets for the front, and eclipse 4" coaxials for the rear doors. The fronts will be amped at 75 watts each, and the rears will be powered off of the head unit. Should totally rock.

AS for information, I was just wondering who builds boxes. NO biggie, as I have already ordered mine.

REceived my sub on Saturday...man is this thing heavy and well made. I can't wait to hook it up....hopefully the box will ship within the next week or so.

REceived my sub on Saturday...man is this thing heavy and well made.  I can't wait to hook it up....hopefully the box will ship within the next week or so.

pix when you can, we love pix here, espcially when you bought some sweet equipment

OK, finished my install over the weekend, and the box arrives today. The Eclipse and Focal stuff sounds great, I can't wait to get the sub in there. The wire is run and ready to go, I'll post some pics when I get the sub installed.

and? how does it sound?

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

Sounds awesome, still tweaking it ( I should have some time tonight).

I'm amazed by the sub's authority and extension. Sounded really good on everything I threw at it.

My only problem is, now, I have some rattle issues to work out in the doors and panels in the cargo area. Shouldn't be too bad to eliminate them though.

I'll post some more impressions after I get it properly tweaked.

wow it blends with the interior really well

Ahhh, the pics:

:runlaugh:

yah it looks good. yah i feel for ya on the rattle problems. everytime i get ym car rattle free, something else comes loose. i have a friggin loud rattle on the underside of my car!!! =(