matthewkchalmers

How much difference between 1 ohm vs. 2 ohm loads?

I am no electrical pro, and I've always wondered, is there a huge difference in have a 1 ohm sub and a 2 ohm sub?

Edited by LuckyChalmz

Nope. Just wiring flexibility.

Unclear on the question, but there is 1 ohm of difference between 1 ohm and 2ohms. Not a real big difference.

Unclear on the question, but there is 1 ohm of difference between 1 ohm and 2ohms. Not a real big difference.

I guess I should've been a little more clear, I meant output of the subwoofers, like would they sounds better, hit harder, etc.

Same clean power at 1 or 2 ohms, or any load for that matter, there will be no difference to the ear.

Same clean power at 1 or 2 ohms, or any load for that matter, there will be no difference to the ear.

Thank you.

So let's say I have a D1 ohm sub wired to 2 ohms on an amplifier that delivers 1000 watts at 2 ohms, then I switch it out for a D2 ohm sub and wire it to 1 ohm and put it on an amp that does 1000 watts at 1 ohm, do you think there would be any difference?

So let's say I have a D1 ohm sub wired to 2 ohms on an amplifier that delivers 1000 watts at 2 ohms, then I switch it out for a D2 ohm sub and wire it to 1 ohm and put it on an amp that does 1000 watts at 1 ohm, do you think there would be any difference?

Well, by reading what you said I am guessing since they have the same amount of wattage being distributed to the subwoofer, I would say no there shouldn't be any difference.

Right :) You pick your impedance depending on what you plan to use for amplification.

Only difference would be the amp would put out more at 1ohms then 2ohms your ear wont ear any SQ difference only loudness of pure BASS!

Only difference would be the amp would put out more at 1ohms then 2ohms your ear wont ear any SQ difference only loudness of pure BASS!

That's dependent on the amplifier.

..Ok lets get more specific "MAJORITY" of amps put out more at lower ohms.

Lol, okay question is do SAZ-1500D's put out more at lower ohms? And can 12" XCON's D2's handle the output?

Edited by LuckyChalmz

Lol, okay question is do SAZ-1500D's put out more at lower ohms? And can 12" XCON's D2's handle the output?

If you'd do a little research, you could answer all your own questions, and probably feel better about doing it.

Here is a little something to get you started:

Sundown Audio - SAZ-1500D

Sound Solutions Audio - XCON Series Subwoofers

If you'd do a little research, you could answer all your own questions, and probably feel better about doing it.

Here is a little something to get you started:

Sundown Audio - SAZ-1500D

Sound Solutions Audio - XCON Series Subwoofers

I understand what your saying, and I respect that, but isn't that what a forum is for to ask questions and receive answers? Yes you did give me and answer of your choice but still, either way rather I find it out myself or you or someone else tell me I end at the same spot, with the same knowledge.

Edit: Reguardless you led me to my answer to my question, and I thank you for that sir. Nothing wrong with showing me the door, and not opening it for me lol.

Edited by LuckyChalmz

Dude, you know how many times this has been said or talked about? It gets tiring to tell people about ohm loads and how much a certain sub can take. Forums are for when you cannot find your answer by yourself or don't even know what to search for. But you do know the forum has a search feature too right?

Dude, you know how many times this has been said or talked about? It gets tiring to tell people about ohm loads and how much a certain sub can take. Forums are for when you cannot find your answer by yourself or don't even know what to search for. But you do know the forum has a search feature too right?

Yes, I knew this. I know what you mean, most of the questions I ask is because I need reassurance to be certain lol. So my bad man.

Edited by LuckyChalmz

I am no electrical pro, and I've always wondered, is there a huge difference in have a 1 ohm sub and a 2 ohm sub?

If the amp has a really good power supply, and it's not a regulated output, you should see double the output going to half the load. In reality, some amplifiers have a regulated output so they produce the same power at both 1 and 2 ohms, while others just don't have the power supply to support that sort of load so they only put out maybe 60% more power at 1 ohm over 2 ohms.

That said, the electrical differences on paper anyway would be higher distortion (THD) and lower S/N ratio, worse damping factor and less dynamic headroom and reserve power.

Will you actually be able to hear these things? Very doubtful.