Sign in to follow this  
joe_prince

2 12" Havocs, Sealed or Ported?

I'm thinking about 2 12" Havocs and was wondering a few things.

1. What would sound louder, sealed or ported?

2. What would have better sound quality, sealed or ported?

3. What would hit lower, sealed or ported?

I'm thinking about ported to 5cuft tuned to 30.5Hz.

If sealed I'm thinking about 2.4cuft.

If you think they would sound better in a different box size, please inform me.

Thank you

From what I've heard the subs will sound good in either enclosure, but will maybe sound a little better in a sealed box. And i know generally subs get louder when in a ported box to the right dimensions, and my main goal is to have the best enclosure for these subs to get loud in. Do you think the sealed or ported is a better choice for me, and how mush of a difference would there be? Also what do you think would be the best enclosure size for for these subs?

After reading your second post I have determined that ported is the way to go. ;)

The loudness difference is astronomical from sealed to ported.

What are the specs on the woofers? How much power do you have to push them? What are they going in?

12"

Sealed enclosure 0.6 - 1.2 CF

Ported enclosure 1.5 - 2.5 CF

I want the loudest i can get with the subs so i'm thinking about 5 cuft ported, they will be powered by a Sundown SAZ-2500D(when it comes out)

12"

Fs 30.9 Hz

RMS 1250W

Does this mean i should tune the box to 31Hz?

You COULD tune it that low, but you wouldn't be as loud as you want. I'd tune to 34-36.

You COULD tune it that low, but you wouldn't be as loud as you want. I'd tune to 34-36.

OK but do you think the box dimensions are good?

I'd do like 4 total after port and woofer, with like 48^2 of port area tuned to 34Hz.

That's just me though. :):drink40:

whats the difference between 4 and 5 cuft. when talking in terms of spl, sq, and hitting lows? And also how much of a difference does 2Hz make?

whats the difference between 4 and 5 cuft. when talking in terms of spl, sq, and hitting lows? And also how much of a difference does 2Hz make?

I was just saying 4 since you have alot of power for them. You could do 5, wouldn't make a huge difference.

2Hz can make a large difference, I was just throwing out numbers of a box I think would slam music and sound great.

I'm thinking about 2 12" Havocs and was wondering a few things.

1. What would sound louder, sealed or ported?

2. What would have better sound quality, sealed or ported?

3. What would hit lower, sealed or ported?

I'm thinking about ported to 5cuft tuned to 30.5Hz.

If sealed I'm thinking about 2.4cuft.

If you think they would sound better in a different box size, please inform me.

Thank you

just to add some insight, i just got done installing 2 15 inch AA havocs each receiving ahout 1500 w rms from 2 rockford fosgate t1500-1bd's and i went SEALED (about 2.3 per sub) in my subaru impreza outback (hatchback)

my friend josh got 2 identical subs ( we got a lower price by buying 4 of teh same sub, thanks defiant audio)

josh went ported in the back of his jeep grand cherokee, 4.5 per sub tuned at 33 hz, each is receiving 1200 rms from a saz-1200d

both have adequate electrical upgrades,

both installs subs firing up (his ports are up too)

my impreza has 2 layers of second skin for the roof and one layer on the hatch

the cherokee is completely undeadened

the sound quality on both builds is absolutely phenominal, the havocs are incredible no matter which route you go, but my sealed havocs sound a bit sharper whith quick bass hits, and it sounds really natural, there is still a slight strong spot around 32 -34 hz which i guess is the butter zone for those subs in my enclosure, and also probably the fs for my car, and where the subs are just loudest, but it isn't really incredibly noticeable unless you are playing sweeps to listen for them

i haven't metered them yet, but they are damn loud. i haven't really been able to bottom teh subs out frequency wise in my install, i have done tone sweeps all over the low frequencies, and i can hit down to about 22hz before it just sounds like a helicopter) this thing gets DEEP i can play pretty much any chopped and screwed song out there, and about all slowed songs that stay in the audible range. i can also do "cracked window hairtricks" meainign i can do hairtricks with only the drivers window open half way,

that being said, josh's install is way louder. there is an incredible difference in volume between the two vehicles

the ported box really makes a difference, but i still prefer my own, because though his is louder his range seems really limited, the subs sound incredible from maybe 29-48hz but outside that range they become really lackluster. he also has a MASSIVE volume spike at around 32-38 hz, the volume feels like it more then doubles between 40 and 35, but below 30 there is incredibly steep roll off, he can't really hit anything accurately below 28 hz ( the low note in put on is still audible, but very sloppy)

we are trying to find someone local with a TL so we can get some numbers up to back this up, i will be posting pics of my own car in the build logs section once it gets back from being detailed and reparied so i can get a really nice final completion photo

i hope it isn't too late for this info to be helpful

Edited by Lord Aoshi

ported is tricky.. its honestly takes a-lot of experience to really find the ideal enclosure for the car/woofer..

take it how you want to but this is my recommendation for the woofers ported which BTW will sound every-bit as good as sealed..

for the 12, 2 cubes tuned to 30 offers a flat response and much lower group delay.. the trick here is having the ideal port area and placement of the port/woofers.. 25in^2 or port area is adequate for 1200 RMS per 12...

this alignment limits output but its flat and offers low group delay AKA its going to sound great and still be louder than sealed..

if you wanted more of a daily driver Id advise 2.25 tuned to 36hz with 25in^2 of port area.. or you could do 2 tuned to 34 with 40in^2 of port area.. the larger port allow its to peak harder at tuning but it unloads much faster under tuning..

for the 15 3.75 tuned to 30 with 50in^2 for SQ for a daily beater 4.25 tuned to 36 with 50in^2 of port area or 4 tuned to 34 with 60in^2 of port area same thing with the unloading..

Edited by papermaker

Sign in to follow this