wutang512

active crossover or active deck?

Ive decided i wanted to go 2-way active with my new system im buying. Problem is I dont know which is better or more cost efficient.

The decks ive been looking at are : pioneer prs 800, kenwood x991, clarion drz9255, Eclipse CD7200mkii

and as far as active crossovers i dont know who to look at besides audiocontrol but i figure if im gonna pay almost $400 might as well buy a new deck.

What would any of yall recommend?

I would choose the prs 880/800 or 7200mkii.....don't know much about the kenwood.....and the drz is more for a 3-way setup which may be way to complicated seeing as how you're barely getting into active. As for the outboard crossover....I'd much rather have it all with one deck rather than two separate units...makes things simpler/ not so cluttered.....just my opinions:) (And by no means am I saying going active is simple at all)

its crazy hard to find a good price on any of those decks unless i go used. seems like all those decks are rare are something cause their going for $500 and up brand new

Deck >> off board proc exclusively in that you have control at the headunit.

One bit of warning, without a real bit of tuning expect the active to sound worse than passive the first go around. It takes some time to dial it in.

ive been looking at alot of websites and alot people say with the tuning software that the 9887 takes away their midbass and subwoofer output like crazy.

Anybody else use the 9887?

Seems like 800prs is universally praised and extrememly hard to find without paying $500

Edited by wutang512

ive been looking at alot of websites and alot people say with the tuning software that the 9887 takes away their midbass and subwoofer output like crazy.

Seems like 800prs is universally praised and extrememly hard to find without paying $500

Maybe if you let it run in the noob (automatic) mode. Not in Pro mode.

wait so your telling me you can run active on the 9887 without having to use the software?

i definantly didnt get that impression with all the reviews ive been reading and peoples experiences

wait so your telling me you can run active on the 9887 without having to use the software?

i definantly didnt get that impression with all the reviews ive been reading and peoples experiences

What software are you referring to exactly? There are just two modes on the deck...

the imprint software that alpine makes it seem like you "need" to use in order to get the most outta the 9887

the imprint software that alpine makes it seem like you "need" to use in order to get the most outta the 9887

lol ah yes. Marketing at its finest.

It can already do a swell 2-way active in stock form. It gets even better if you can find a PXA-H701 to couple with it.

lol ah yes. Marketing at its finest.

It can already do a swell 2-way active in stock form. It gets even better if you can find a PXA-H701 to couple with it.

yeah i seen that PXA-H701 module but its way outta my price range. $399.99 and up on ebay

Ignore the Imprint junk and do it yourself and you are golden.

Ignore the Imprint junk and do it yourself and you are golden.

how do you like your 880prs?

Personally, I prefer the xover function to be in the deck.

Reason 1: Less items to have, less clutter, wire to run

2: Less chance of noise finding its way in

3: In the HU it's all done in the digital domain so no loss of audio or SQ.

4: Ease of control for set up as it's at your finger tips

I would love to have the 9255 followed by the 7200. For now I'm sticking w/my CD8455.