Sign in to follow this  
Robertw813

A few general questions

Hi again guys. Well I got my HU and 4-channel amp all installed so that leaves me with the sub and sub amp now.

Originally I was going to go for a 10" Rl-i, but I would REALLY like to fit a 12" Rl-p into my single cab (1999 F-150). I took a few measurements and it looks like it will work. Tight, but it should work. It can either be forward facing, or down firing

Questions...

1) How much space is reccommended to be left around the edge of the sub when mounting it?

2) How much space does the magnet need from the back of the box?

3) Is there a big sound difference between a forward facing sub and a down-firing one?

4) How much space should I leave in front of the sub for excursion?

5) Is airspace just "airspace" in regards to the box having an odd shape?

6) Anyone build boxes in the Souther California / Arizona area (San Diego -> Phoenix)?

These are the questions that spring to mind at the moment. Also if it matters I would be running 600+ watts to the 12" Rl-p if I go that route.

Thanks.

-Rob

1) Outside diameter measures to be ~12.5"

2) Personally, I shoot for at least 1.5".

3) Downfiring seems to be a good method in a truck.

4) I would leave 1.25-1.5" since the Xmax is just about 1"

5) Airspace is airspace, to an extent, but, if you have a small 1" tube to join two spaces, then you may run into some problem.

6) No idea :)

Im stationed at MCAS Yuma in Arizona. About 180 miles East of San Diego, CA and about 180 miles West of Phoenix, AZ.

In regards to mounting the sub....

If it measures 12.5"and you shoot for 1.5" around it, is that saying that a perfect square would need to be 14"?

-Rob

I meant that if you had a board that was 14" x 14" (perfect square) and you mounted a round sub that has a diameter of 12.5" right in the middle that would give you .75"+ all the way around.

I looked at that as being a minimum of .75" on either side or 1.5" of space.

Hopefully that makes sense. I have a way of over thinking things.

-Rob

You don't need to add any more space than 12.5" around the sub.

The 1.5" I gave is the space needed for cone excursion, or from the cone to the nearest surface.

The other 1.5" is the space between the magnet and nearest surface within the enclosure.

Right now i have my sub in a 13x13 enclosure, its a 12" sub, works just fine in it

You can contact azbass if you need an enclosure built. He is located in seirra vista AZ.

He does great work, you can see it in his picture thread

Awesome info guys. Told you I have a way of over complicating things.

On a side note, what amps do you guys use to push these things? You think 600ish watts would be sufficient, or should I step up some more? I have been looking at the PG Xenon / Viper / ED Nine.1 and a few others.

-Rob