Aaron Clinton

Greatest Passenger Car Engine of last 25 Years

almost 320 000 miles on my 95 BMW 2.0L engine only water pump change and that's all.

Also new BMW engines made out of Mg and Al (Magnesium and Aluminium) super light and powerful engines.

I'd also like to nominate whatever comes in those little toyota pickups.

x2 on the 22r 20r

92 corolla me and my buddy put it threw hell 64k+ miles with out an oil change on the motor was 225k+ miles he ended up running int a frence and not a city type fence ture to life farm fence took out 8 posts drove another 6 miles with no headlights no radiator and a broke suspension on the front end. LONG LIVE THE COROLLA.

x2 1.8 engine

ALL of the supra turbo inline 6's. Who ever heard of 1000+hp on a stock bottom end?

The 3.8l Turbos in the GN's

Isuzu inline 4 diesels

Cummins 12v diesels

Ford Vulcan V6? Doesn't make a ton of power, inefficient as hell but it will survive a nuclear explosion. The Ford Truck Six will easily survive a half dozen nuclear bombings but it dates back to '65, so its much more than 25 years old :shrug:

So what were the poll winners?

Mostly interested in how my motor did in the poll (srt4)

There can be no winner in this discussion.

LOL this discussion will go on forever...

The discussion wont have a winner but a poll will

Detroit Diesel 6V-53TA And NA, 453TA

Cummins 6BT 5.9

Cummins 4BT 3.9

Toyota 22R,21R,20R,22RET.

Totota 7M-GTE,1JZ,2JZ.

Chevrolet LS1,LS7,LS6, Gen 3, Virtually Most Chevrolet Engines In V8 Config.

Ford 300 I6

Jeep 258 I6

RB26DETT

Ford 351 Cleveland

Ford 460 (Popularity)

Continued.

For sure the chevy 3800(3.8L). The engine is almost bullet proof. I have one in a 97 grand prix GTP and its got 276k on it and the only thing ive ever done is a $130 intake manifold job and the water pump.

Edited by Pontiac Warden

Pontiac Warden, the Chevy 3.8 liter was scrapped in 84. The motor you are referring to is a Buick 3800...

IMO the best version is the;

Buick 1986/87 3.8 Liter VIN 7...

The Turbocharged, Intercooled V6 from the quickest car mass produced in the 80s.

turboin.jpg

That is my motor. almost 500 HP with 150,000 miles on it. on this build.

Vortec 5.7 best most reliable engine ever made, in my opinion.

The Vortec 5700 L31 is a V8 truck engine. Displacement is 5.7 L. It is the last production Generation I small-block from Chevrolet. The cylinder heads feature combustion chambers very similar to those of the LT1 V8, but without the reverse-flow cooling. As such, the L31 head is compatible with all older small-blocks, and is a very popular upgrade. It offers the performance of more expensive heads, at a much lower cost. It does, however, require a specific intake manifold (a Vortec head has four bolts attaching the intake manifold as opposed to the traditional six bolts per head). The L31 was replaced by the 5.3 L 5300 LM7. The 2002 model year was the final year for the L31 5.7 L small block V-8 whose origins date back to 1955. The Vortec 5700 produces 255 horsepower (190 kW) and 330 ft·lbf (450 N·m) of torque. It is currently being produced as a crate engine for marine applications and automotive hobbyists as the "ramjet 350" with minor modifications.

L31 applications:

1996-2003 Chevrolet Express/GMC Savana full-size vans

1996-1999 Chevrolet/GMC C/K full-size trucks

1996-1999 Chevrolet Suburban/GMC Suburban full-size long-wheelbase SUVs

1996-1999 Chevrolet Tahoe/GMC Yukon (and 2000 Tahoe Limited) full-size short-wheelbase SUVs

1999-2000 Cadillac Escalade

You already know....

Either the M156 from AMG or maybe the 12cyl twin turbo.

*non built versions aside.

Subaru wrx boxer best performance for what it is I think

Hard to pick "best engine" in any category, only "most popular for such and such a reason."

For instance, mitsubishi's 4g63t reigned/reigns supreme for some people for a turbo 4 build because of the vast aftermarket and power potential, but Ford's 2.3t has similar potential but appears less popular to the tuning aftermarket. If one looks at engines with double the cylinders, one might see the LS1 taking the prize, but I personally feel that the 4.6 never got enough aftermarket love. I seen dozens of chevy-engine-ford-chassis drag cars, but I've yet to run across a ford-engine-chevy-chassis drag car. Point being any engine can be built and maintained to reach a certain goal and ALL engines have certain points that are less than desirable. Honda does not shit race-ready import gold, but they make damn good engines, heck, cars in general. That doesn't mean that Nissan can't compete. Same goes for Ford/Chevy or anything else for that matter. Ferrari/Lamborghini. You can find examples from all of these companies for cars/engines that have power, reliability, or both.

Buicks Turbofied V6 - dated technology my ass, who else can get such amazing performance out of a V6, no one. And yes I realize that this engine requires mad mods to get cooking but the thing that speaks volumes is that the platform can take all those  mods.

Chevy's rule - to be specific the LS6 - but actually more important is the fuel injection which allows a monster to get a real (from my friend who owns a new vette) world 19mpg city.

yep..the 3.8ltr GN motor! while i think it's a mad motor straight outa the box, ur correct about the mods it can take...

and i agree again with the fact u can have a car that does 186mph, and return 19-20mpg (more if he stays outa it, i'm sure..lol) during more normal driving...

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

My vote is on the 3.8 GM. I Love the 350, but in this day of rising gas prices, the 3.8 WORKS! I got 2 Grand Prix in the driveway, a '97 wich overheated to the point of KONCKIN-CLANG-CLANG- shut down... Let it cool down and started it up and drove home, TWICE!!!! (fixed cooling issues $2.99 and it runs great now!!!!)

And a 04 GTP, with a supercharger, yes they come stock with a REAL supercharger, hit the gas, watch the boost go up, and BYE-BYE!!! Good stuff

My vote is on the 3.8 GM. I Love the 350, but in this day of rising gas prices, the 3.8 WORKS! I got 2 Grand Prix in the driveway, a '97 wich overheated to the point of KONCKIN-CLANG-CLANG- shut down... Let it cool down and started it up and drove home, TWICE!!!! (fixed cooling issues $2.99 and it runs great now!!!!)

And a 04 GTP, with a supercharger, yes they come stock with a REAL supercharger, hit the gas, watch the boost go up, and BYE-BYE!!! Good stuff

. . . As opposed to a FAKE supercharger?

Probably not known in the US but the 3.2 V6 24valve from alfa romeo.

Looks great( yes the engine itself), sounds amazing and keeps on going, doesn't break down engine wise if you follow the services.

A lot of engines with over 0.5 million kilometers.)

alfaromeo25v6.jpg

Edited by kirill007

Now watch the brainiacs use a chrysler mill instead and scrap something worthwhile. sad.png

If on the other hand with some dumb luck it ends up in the new Dart or something, it'd be about time.

Now watch the brainiacs use a chrysler mill instead and scrap something worthwhile. sad.png

If on the other hand with some dumb luck it ends up in the new Dart or something, it'd be about time.

Is Alfa part of Fiat?

The boxer 2.5 from Subaru. These engines just run forever