Aaron Clinton

Greatest Passenger Car Engine of last 25 Years

I do test work on valves for F1 engines, they spin at 20k and are moving towards 24k as early as maybe next year.  Measuring valve float on something moving like that isn't easy.

Expense some very high speed cameras . :superman:

What I'm wondering about is where all these higher tech engines that they have now are going to be in 20-30 years and if they are still going to be able to run and be fixed. Hell you can pull a head and do a valve job on a pushrod engine wiht a 1/2 dozen tools in the middle of a bean field. (pull the head and re-assemble it, not the actual valve job, we did that in the shop)

How well will the electronics stand up to the test of time, alot of people can fix something mechanical, but when the electronics go, your screwed.

$500 for some computer that controls the window and your car wont start because its broken

Ok I will start with a few.

1. <span style='color:red'>Audi 1.8T</span>, excellent motor with very high HP capability with minimal modifications, used in numerous applications. A light motor in weight and small in size. (technically still in use in europe, along with the USA but bored out a little to the 2.0T)

2. <span style='color:red'>BMW 3.0 I-6</span>, it saw the most work in the previous generation M3, one very smooth motor with very good power delivery and drivability. It got decent milage for the power out put. Very flexiable motor, that is tourquey enough for all needs, being used currently in 530i.

2nd.

I have a 02 Passat with the 1.8t and my other car is a BMW 330Ci with the 3.0 inline 6. And if you've driven the new M5 or M6...you'll KNOW that is a big stonking motor.

I love all of these engines. Although, I would have them ranked S85(M5&M6, 05-current)> S54B32(M3, 01-05) > 1.8t

The 3.6L flat six from Porsche 997, Nissan's RB26DETT from the Skyline GT-R, and Chevy's new LS7 should be mentioned as well.

4 cyl = 3sgte

6 cyl = 2jz gte(strong bottom end) or 1jz gte(better flowing heads) and the best of both wolds the 1.5jz gte (2jz bottom end with the 1jz heads bolted on)

the 2jz and the 1jz were the most overbuilt engines of their time.

kids are getting 600-700hp on all stock internals with a few mods such as boost and fuel.

these engines are back from the early 90's. if thats not the greatest engine ever i have to say what is? (and i am speaking from a strictly tuner perspective)

4 cyl = 3sgte

6 cyl = 2jz gte(strong bottom end) or 1jz gte(better flowing heads) and the best of both wolds the 1.5jz gte (2jz bottom end with the 1jz heads bolted on)

the 2jz and the 1jz were the most overbuilt engines of their time.

kids are getting 600-700hp on all stock internals with a few mods such as boost and fuel.

these engines are back from the early 90's. if thats not the greatest engine ever i have to say what is? (and i am speaking from a strictly tuner perspective)

I am all for the 2jz for top v6, I would have to dispute the 3sgte with the 4g63 however. As for a v8 I am going to have to say the lsx.

the 3s was all i could really think of at the time.

the sr20dett owns. forgot about that one.

even the ca18det is not a bad engine.

for 4 cyls i also have to say the honda k20a and the h22a.

a little biased since my family owns a bmw dealer ship but bmw's e46 m3 set a record for most hp per litre. 3.2 litre inline 6, 333 hp (343 in europe) naturally aspirated...but as we all know hp is just a number, a nice inclining torque curve is what you want yaddda yadda yadda...still impressive though!

Chevy's LS1 and older model 350

Toyota's 22RE and 2JZ

Ford's 4.6 4valve from the 03-04 Cobra(near bulletproof and can handle 6-700 rwhp without a flinch)

Volkswagons 1.8T

BMW's new 335i and 135i motor

Nissan's RB series

pretty much all Honda's due to longevity and fuel mileage

That's about all I can think of that really stick out.

Its probably been stated in here but I didnt want to read the whole thread. I'm gonna say Honda B series engines. Very customizable, already good power for a stock engine on a 1.4-1.6l engines and will last for around 300,000 miles or more.

I would have to say one of the toughest engines I have ever seen is the 225 dodge slant 6

not the worlds best performer but I have seen them go thru some UNREAL abuse and still

get the car home...

I have seen some of those old dodges with half a million miles on them rusted completely

out but he engine still starts with out even a puff of smoke

92 corolla me and my buddy put it threw hell 64k+ miles with out an oil change on the motor was 225k+ miles he ended up running int a frence and not a city type fence ture to life farm fence took out 8 posts drove another 6 miles with no headlights no radiator and a broke suspension on the front end. LONG LIVE THE COROLLA.

i've seen pictures of cars with Rolls Royce Merlins stuffed in them by crazy rich people, does that count as a passenger car motor?

I must say I have REALLY like my last two motors. A 97 Dodge 5.2, and my new one is a 96 Dodge 5.9 360. Good torque and H/P

Buicks Turbofied V6 - dated technology my ass, who else can get such amazing performance out of a V6, no one. And yes I realize that this engine requires mad mods to get cooking but the thing that speaks volumes is that the platform can take all those mods.

Chevy's rule - to be specific the LS6 - but actually more important is the fuel injection which allows a monster to get a real (from my friend who owns a new vette) world 19mpg city.

Fords 308 5.0 liter Mustang engine. Never has there ever been a sweeter sounding engine that can do rediculous power like a modded stang. And don't tell me about it's the exhaust because I have never heard another car sound like a stang no matter what exhaust was put on it.

Honda's B & H series engines - 110+hp per liter stock is fricken rediculous.

Now if we could just get an American car company to make a 3.0 liter V8 with tiny pistons rockin at 12K+ rpms with that intoxicating F1 sound then we would really have a winner.

I 2nd the Honda B&H series motors, got a H22A4 in my Prelude, don't forget to mention that ALL INDY CARS run the 3.0 Honda V8, and it produces 900hp naturally aspirated, thats 300HP per liter, no other motor in history that I know of even comes close to this in power and reliability for its size!!!!!!!!! OldSchoolSQ

can we go past 25 yrs?

VW 1600 AC. those things never die and you never get stuck anywhere with one. I dont think they are the best, most reliable engines (or powerful!) but Ive gotten stuck at the side of the road a few time, but could always rig something within 15 minutes and a few tools to get home. not hard to trouble shoot, theres only abut 5 wires on the engine. plus anything you can have out of the car and on the table getting torn down in 5-10 minutes is just awesome.

Im a fan of the B series, and the K series from honda. Im gonna put a F20B in my accord when it comes time though. destroked H22, iron liners, tighter bottom end, 8200RPM redline, 200HP. less torque than the H22a, but the trans always comes LSD equipped, closer gearing, and the engine revs much higher.

the JDM F20C makes 247HP out of a 2 liter N/A ~123/liter

B18C 197HP/1.8 ~109/liter

B16B 185HP/1.6 ~115/liter

K20A 220HP/2.0 ~110/liter (ive heard of a 240HP version but havent seen it)

don't forget to mention that ALL INDY CARS run the 3.0 Honda V8, and it produces 900hp naturally aspirated, thats 300HP per liter, no other motor in history that I know of even comes close to this in power and reliability for its size!!!!!!!!! OldSchoolSQ

Bah, it was designed and engineered for racing only. You can't really call it reliable either. It's strictly made to last as long as it needs, no more, no less. If they need to use them for 6 races, that's what they build for, but the point of the thread was for passenger engines. Hell, run one of these in a passenger vehicle in the city and you'll be lucky if you can get an hour out of it. As for it's power, F1 engines are de-tuned to 750 at 2.4L so yeah. Realistically, they can all do what they want/need to do with them, so it's nothing short of spectacular for any of them, Indy or F1, or any other race engine for that matter.

First I'll start with the BEST INLINE 6

FORD 300 I HAVE A 86 THAT HAS 327,700 MILES ON IT. SECOND TRANNY BUT NOTHING ON THE MOTOR!!

BEST V-6

BUICK'S 3.8 OR 3800. The reason WHY BUICK'S was Better is because the EARLY 3.8's which were carberated the Buick's were the ONLY version that kept the timing chain wet in oil. As the 3.8 progressed to the now Famous 3800 they all got updated with the improved oiling. My father bought a 84 Cutlass Calias with only 14,000 on it. For those that DON'T know the Calais option started as a performance NOT front wheel drive. It received color matched sport mirrors, rear sway bar,gauge cluster,center console floor shift,high back chrome bucket's etc. He drove it back in forth EVERY week from IN to Ohio for Navistar. When I got it from him it had 323,000 on it. I tried to blow it up so I could put a V-8 in it. . . . . . . . . . . . . I couldn't. Shit that thing would even spin the one tire around a corner. Float the valves at 4100 rpm due to weak springs. I traded it off for a 65 before I could kill it with almost 350,000 on it. I also had a 91 Ultra with a SuperCharged 3800. Changed the pulley and added a Wet 125 shot on that 4 door. Had a pair of drag radials cut so the white wall matched the rears. . . . . . . . . . That thing went 13.10's in the AZ heat for 6-8 months NO issues!! Ruined MANY Kids nights at the Import Street Races!! I hate it when I get beat by Grandpa's 4 door 3-4 people deep with 4 12's banging the trunk lid off. . . . . . . . . .

BEST V-8

FORD 4.6L DOHC S/C 2003-2004 COBRA "TERMINATOR"

Reason being it's bullet proof. 6 Cross Bolt Mains. We have proven Time and Time Again the with a pulley swap and a quality Nitrous kit they will put down 800-1100 HP to the TIRES with a STOCK Short Block!! Anyone that has owned or rode in a Good tuned Terminator will tell you the same. Things PULL LIKE A FREIGHT TRAIN. Idle smooth Fun Daily Driver and a Killer at the strip. I have friends that will pull 3-6" wheel stands on the street with the IRS properly tuned on a concrete street. Low 10 second car.

Second BEST V-8

GM LS2 6.0L

GM got Smart and Copied the BEST Engine EVER Built the BIG Block MOPAR. . . . . . . . . . And designed a "skirted block" which means the crank is counter set in the block which adds MUCH Strength. They also Copied FORD and added Cross bolt Main caps. My 05 GTO went High 10's with Just a GOOD Nitrous kit,3.91 gears,drag radials,MY Tune.

And just for some background for you all. I build Race cars and engines for a living and have been for 15 years now.

First I'll start with the BEST INLINE 6

FORD 300 I HAVE A 86 THAT HAS 327,700 MILES ON IT. SECOND TRANNY BUT NOTHING ON THE MOTOR!!

BEST V-6

BUICK'S 3.8 OR 3800. The reason WHY BUICK'S was Better is because the EARLY 3.8's which were carberated the Buick's were the ONLY version that kept the timing chain wet in oil. As the 3.8 progressed to the now Famous 3800 they all got updated with the improved oiling. My father bought a 84 Cutlass Calias with only 14,000 on it. For those that DON'T know the Calais option started as a performance NOT front wheel drive. It received color matched sport mirrors, rear sway bar,gauge cluster,center console floor shift,high back chrome bucket's etc. He drove it back in forth EVERY week from IN to Ohio for Navistar. When I got it from him it had 323,000 on it. I tried to blow it up so I could put a V-8 in it. . . . . . . . . . . . . I couldn't. Shit that thing would even spin the one tire around a corner. Float the valves at 4100 rpm due to weak springs. I traded it off for a 65 before I could kill it with almost 350,000 on it. I also had a 91 Ultra with a SuperCharged 3800. Changed the pulley and added a Wet 125 shot on that 4 door. Had a pair of drag radials cut so the white wall matched the rears. . . . . . . . . . That thing went 13.10's in the AZ heat for 6-8 months NO issues!! Ruined MANY Kids nights at the Import Street Races!! I hate it when I get beat by Grandpa's 4 door 3-4 people deep with 4 12's banging the trunk lid off. . . . . . . . . .

BEST V-8

FORD 4.6L DOHC S/C 2003-2004 COBRA "TERMINATOR"

Reason being it's bullet proof. 6 Cross Bolt Mains. We have proven Time and Time Again the with a pulley swap and a quality Nitrous kit they will put down 800-1100 HP to the TIRES with a STOCK Short Block!! Anyone that has owned or rode in a Good tuned Terminator will tell you the same. Things PULL LIKE A FREIGHT TRAIN. Idle smooth Fun Daily Driver and a Killer at the strip. I have friends that will pull 3-6" wheel stands on the street with the IRS properly tuned on a concrete street. Low 10 second car.

Second BEST V-8

GM LS2 6.0L

GM got Smart and Copied the BEST Engine EVER Built the BIG Block MOPAR. . . . . . . . . . And designed a "skirted block" which means the crank is counter set in the block which adds MUCH Strength. They also Copied FORD and added Cross bolt Main caps. My 05 GTO went High 10's with Just a GOOD Nitrous kit,3.91 gears,drag radials,MY Tune.

And just for some background for you all. I build Race cars and engines for a living and have been for 15 years now.

Off topic, but how familiar are you with the Modular engines and where are you located?

All of the above are great engines but the Yamaha 3.0 that came from the SHO, 16K rpm on 100% stock internals....come on, and with 900 bucks you can make a 390hp at the wheels on 91 oct pump gas JAP POWER BABY