mrbojang

Electrical needs for running a saz-3500d + sax-125.2

My truck currently has a stock 160amp alternator, and a yellow top under the hood...I'm doubting this will be enough to power a saz-3500d @ 1.33ohm and a sax-125.2. I'm not planning on running the system with the engine off for long periods of time...

Any advice as far as what kind of performance I could expect (if any), or if my stock alternator would even work for this application?

With that kind of power you're gonna need to shell out some cash for electrical upgrades for sure. New alternator for sure. That 160amp alt you have right now is gonna have a real hard time with all that. If you want to run the system with the car off, you're gonna need a pretty good battery bank as well.

With that kind of power you're gonna need to shell out some cash for electrical upgrades for sure. New alternator for sure. That 160amp alt you have right now is gonna have a real hard time with all that. If you want to run the system with the car off, you're gonna need a pretty good battery bank as well.

That's what I figured, that it wouldn't be nearly enough. I see dcpower offers a 230amp alternator for my vehicle..Would that be feasible?

you can run it off 160 amps./.. if you have a large cell bank.....

other wise atleast 150 amp hours and 260 amp alt.. and thats to play with motor running only.

other wise atleast 150 amp hours and 260 amp alt.. and thats to play with motor running only.

Alright. I'll get the 270 amp alternator from DC Power and take it from there. Thanks for the help :D

Alright. I'll get the 270 amp alternator from DC Power and take it from there. Thanks for the help :D

like i said you will need atleast 150 amp hours worth of cells too... i forget what color top you said you had but if its yellow.. its prolly only 50 or so... you will need more.

You could pick up a pair of Deka 9A31s. They are rated at 100ah and aren't too expensive either.

You could pick up a pair of Deka 9A31s. They are rated at 100ah and aren't too expensive either.

i would do 2 of those.

i would do 2 of those.

Yeah, I have a yellow top currently. Should I run one deka in the front, and one in the rear? I'm not sure about how much room I'm going to have to spare. Going to be running 6 sa-10's...

Would it be possible to keep the yellow top upfront and throw a single deka 9a31 in the rear?

i would do 2 of those.

Yeah, I have a yellow top currently. Should I run one deka in the front, and one in the rear? I'm not sure about how much room I'm going to have to spare. Going to be running 6 sa-10's...

Would it be possible to keep the yellow top upfront and throw a single deka 9a31 in the rear?

it would be best to have 2.... but if you cant fit one up front... as they are pretty large then you can keep the yellow up front and run the deka in the rear.. and see how it goes... just make sure you get a voltmeter installed on the dash and watch your self.

i would do 2 of those.

it would be best to have 2.... but if you cant fit one up front... as they are pretty large then you can keep the yellow up front and run the deka in the rear.. and see how it goes... just make sure you get a voltmeter installed on the dash and watch your self.

I have a stinger volt meter installed in my dash so I can monitor it for sure..I'll try one and see how it goes. Thanks!

Something else you might consider is seeing if you can find a dual alternator bracket for your truck. Then you could keep the stock alternator running the stock electrical and run the DC Power to a second battery and run your system from that. That way, you have no chance of accidentally draining your starting battery.

Something else you might consider is seeing if you can find a dual alternator bracket for your truck. Then you could keep the stock alternator running the stock electrical and run the DC Power to a second battery and run your system from that. That way, you have no chance of accidentally draining your starting battery.

I was considering that but wouldn't I take a pretty big performance hit? Engine wise and gas mileage wise? Having another thing going through the belt? I've seen dual brackets for my truck.

Edited by Mr. Bojangles

I was considering that but wouldn't I take a pretty big performance hit? Engine wise and gas mileage wise? Having another thing going through the belt? I've seen dual brackets for my truck.

Your talking about running 6 beefy 10"s, 2 large batteries, large amps, and the wood for the box. And your worried about performance?

Your joking, right?

Your talking about running 6 beefy 10"s, 2 large batteries, large amps, and the wood for the box. And your worried about performance?

Your joking, right?

Haha I was considering that while I typed that out, but why add even more of a performance hit with dual alternators?

I don't expect to be racing people, it's a truck. I just don't want to get <10mpg.

Edited by Mr. Bojangles

What motor? If you have less then a V6 then it might hurt...

What motor? If you have less then a V6 then it might hurt...

It's a 4.8-liter V8.

I never understood this whole electrical thing

I have close to 4k watts on a stock 120amp alt with 2 batteries and i get no dimming.

the box and batts should slow you down more than the extra alt.

if you were to go dual ho-alt , you could get away with less batts to weigh you down.

still going to need extra batt power but not as much.

good luck, thats going to be loud!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the box and batts should slow you down more than the extra alt.

if you were to go dual ho-alt , you could get away with less batts to weigh you down.

still going to need extra batt power but not as much.

good luck, thats going to be loud!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks, hopefully it will be! I've been thinking about it, and I'm leaning towards spending $700 on batteries for the rear compared to a HO alt, run the stock alternator, and then upgrade to a HO alt later, or a dual bracket + HO alt if I feel I need it.

So any suggestions on batteries that would work, around $700?

I took measurements of the space I have to work with. It's roughly 3ft 8 inches long x 4ft wide. I'm going to be giving each sub 1.3cubic feet in a vented enclosure..Not sure how much room that leaves me for batteries, but I'm thinking I have plenty..(Right?)

Amps will be secured under the rear seats.

Edited by Mr. Bojangles

Thanks, hopefully it will be! I've been thinking about it, and I'm leaning towards spending $700 on batteries for the rear compared to a HO alt, run the stock alternator, and then upgrade to a HO alt later, or a dual bracket + HO alt if I feel I need it.

So any suggestions on batteries that would work, around $700?

I took measurements of the space I have to work with. It's roughly 3ft 8 inches long x 4ft wide. I'm going to be giving each sub 1.3cubic feet in a vented enclosure..Not sure how much room that leaves me for batteries, but I'm thinking I have plenty..(Right?)

Amps will be secured under the rear seats.

No, how do you figure your stock alt is going to manage close to $1k in batts?

Spend 500 on an H/O from DC Power and buy a big battery from XS Power and call it a day.

Stock Alt will break if its over loaded, am i just saying this because of what i read? No, as my truck sits in front of my driveway non-drivable because my Stock Alt JUST crashed on me because of what your going to do.

I never understood this whole electrical thing

I have close to 4k watts on a stock 120amp alt with 2 batteries and i get no dimming.

:No:

So I'm now leaning towards getting a DCPower 270 amp HO alt, and a Kinitek hc2400. Sound solid enough?

I'm betting that any performance loss you get from running a second alternator won't be noticeable. I would have done it on my truck if I was able to fit two alternators. As I said before, you also get the benefit of being able to use your system with the truck not running, and not having to worry about draining your starting battery.

get a dc power 270 xp and then a deka 9a31 in the back. That's it. /