Hansk

hooking up toggle switch to HU

im running a pioneer AVP3100 dvd and my question is im trying to hook up a toggle switch to the picture wire the from the HU ( supposed to be hooked up to the E brake) so i can see dvds while trying on trips and i hooked it up to toggle switch+ and ground the other side to chassis but it wont work... and it worked when it was in my other car 3 weeks ago. its not the same toggle switch that i had before. its a little smaller but still the regular old easy toggle switchon/off switch , + / - wire leads)... anybody know why it wouldnt work??

could it be the toggle switch??

or would anybody else know how to wire that up so it will play dvds?

thatnks in advance

ok your confusing the shit out of me....

ground one wire... put it on 1 or the 2 leads off the switch...... take the e brake lead off the hu.... and put it to the other lead on the switch.....

put your unit on... flip the switch ...... once... then again... and then one more time.... it should work...

show it ground.. then no ground then ground..... then it will work...

i did it like that... it would just play music and no video.....

im hooking it up the same way i had it 3 weeks ago and now it wont work.. its a different toggle switch but the same pos and neg hook up... u think that could have something to do with it..???

Edited by Hans

have you unhooked the battery or unplugged the head unit?

i un plugged the HU when the car was off

nobody else .... im just baffled by why it wont work...

Try looking it up on google. Thats hwo i figured how to do mine.

i un plugged the HU when the car was off

ok on some pioneers if you unplug the unit.. you have to go into your options go to AVI options.. and there should be a few options.. one will be rev cam.. then vid input or dvd.. try those options...

look around a bunch with options on the unit.

also check your ground again.. try another switch...

I tried 2 different grounds... And nothing... I think I'm going to pick up a new toggle switch tomorrow and try that

I don't understand why you grounded the toggle switch. Is the switch on a power wire or a ground wire from the head unit? If it's from a power wire, you can't ground it and expect it to work. Perhaps you're supposed to hook the other side up to the power source for the e-brake light so that there is power going through the wire whenever the e-brake is engaged?

Is it the avh p3100 DVD? If that's the model it's the same as what I'm running. I found a really good vid on YouTube that shows how to do it. You have to get a relay. I forget the exact way but the vid shows exactly how to do it. I think they do it on the 4100 model which is the same but bigger screen

this is the vid I was talking about.

I don't understand why you grounded the toggle switch. Is the switch on a power wire or a ground wire from the head unit? If it's from a power wire, you can't ground it and expect it to work. Perhaps you're supposed to hook the other side up to the power source for the e-brake light so that there is power going through the wire whenever the e-brake is engaged?

the e break switch is a ground on cars... its just a simple open or shut switch

its basically fooling the HU to think that the toggle switch is the E-brake- but i have been told when hooking up toggle switches that you have to ground it as well as the power source just like anything with electrical..

This model needs a relay. You splice into the ground then bridge over to another pin. Hook up the green ebreake to one pin and an accessory wire on the other pin.

When the car is switched on it triggers the relay and grounds the ebrake.

Works like a charm

I know u can do it like that but the whole thing is if it needs a relay then why did it work before.... So I don't think this models needs a relay to do this

I know when I first installed mine I had found something that explained hooking up a toggle switch. I forget exactly how I had it hooked up but had the ground on a toggle to the ebrake wire. I took a road trip the day after and watched a movie. Something happened and it never worked again until I installed the relay.

It's super easy and way more clean and effective then a toggle anyways.

Watch the vid-it's very explanatory and works. It's totally worth it

I know when I first installed mine I had found something that explained hooking up a toggle switch. I forget exactly how I had it hooked up but had the ground on a toggle to the ebrake wire. I took a road trip the day after and watched a movie. Something happened and it never worked again until I installed the relay.

It's super easy and way more clean and effective then a toggle anyways.

Watch the vid-it's very explanatory and works. It's totally worth it

alright ill take a look at it.. i've just never installed a relay before...

the replay is only so that you dont have to have a switch....

the replay is only so that you dont have to have a switch....

ya i know what it does .... ive just never hooked one up before....

At the very end of the video the guy explains how it works and it's the remote wire not an accessory wire.

It's been awhile so it's a ways back in my memory.

I know I tried a couple different methods and it was really starting to bug me since it had worked once. Seems like when I was havin problems it was popping up a warning screen on turn on everytime and wouldn't play DVDs and did not respnd to the toggle.

All I know is it works flawless now and with no effort.

The relay is much simpler then you think.

Some of the comments are very helpful if you look through them.

ill give it a try and see what happens... you can get relays at autozone right... i think ive seen then there before

You should be able to get them at autozone. I got mine at radio shack.

I got a 40a 4 pin. Seems like the Green parking brake wire goes to the vertical pin the remote goes opposite of that and the two ground wires go on the other two pins.

You will have three wires on the ground pin. You need some female spade connectors also.

Post back when you get done