BASSnoob

GOOD GROUND amplifier heating up

so ive done the big 3 upgrade with 0 gauge wire. have a solid ground from amplifier to frame. yet my amplifier is getting hot and shuts off. input sensitivity is st to 85% db gain is at 0 subsonic bass set to middle frequency level is set to middle what could be causing the over heating?? LOW VOLTAGE?? :puzzled:

Do you know what your voltage is? any other info would help.

Do your lights dim? Only way to know is to get a DMM and check your voltage.

I havent measured my voltage at high peak bass.. the bass that makes my lights dim regardless of doing big 3 and having extra battery.. so no :( but the low voltage can make an amplifier hot right??

Do your lights dim? Only way to know is to get a DMM and check your voltage.

yes sir my lights dim on certain bass levels.. not during a whole song.. just during those bass notes that make my hair/shorts vibrate..and im running a fi q hehehe with a soundstream rubicon 2500 :woot:

Edited by BASSnoob

What amp are you running, and how hot does it get? Is it warm, or is it hot enough that it's uncomfortable to touch?

amps can shut off for a few reasons..like low voltage, or impedance being to low (resistance but in a a/c circuit we call it impedance) bad remote? to much heat due to bad air quality/ circulation maybe even a bad ground!

now lets figure this out or at least get close to the issue at hand!

1. do you have a dmm?

2. how did you set your gains?

3. what is the input voltage at peak current draw (full blast) and at no draw (volume at 0) ?

4. what is your input impedance (resistance) to the amp?

5. where did you ground it all 2

6. do you have a secondary battery

7. how much power are you using

8 .what size is your alt

9. what size wire was and or is being used to power the amp

10. what size fuses are you using

11. engine size

12. starting battery

13. you are gay or thinking of being gay

14. do you have a gf

15. is your mom hot

16. i know i am running out of things to aks

17. i am done!

report back and we can go from there to help you! and yes you came to the right place for help! welcome to ssa and enjoy your stay!

(o you have 80post lol sorry but welcome to ssa all the same)

That rubicon at one ohm should be drawing over 200 amps. On a system with only wire upgrades your gonna get wrecked. You need a battery to back that amp up. My a3000db's have a similar board and I would say that they get warm @ 1 ohm, but nothing to worry about. So, some heat from that amp is normal...

holy cow i post and 3 other ppl already posted before me!

also one more question did you use the bass boost setting?

I havent measured my voltage at high peak bass.. the bass that makes my lights dim regardless of doing big 3 and having extra battery.. so no :( but the low voltage can make an amplifier hot right??

Yes it can, makes your amp work harder trying to pull in more amps. Also depending on how hot your signal is coming in you could be maxing out your amp even when the gain isn't all the way up. The only way to really tell is with a oscilloscope.

Damm guess I didn't post quick enough there was five posts by the time I finished mine

Edited by Cant Get Enough

Yes it can, makes your amp work harder trying to pull in more amps. Also depending on how hot your signal is coming in you could be maxing out your amp even when the gain isn't all the way up. The only way to really tell is with a oscilloscope.

what do you mean how hot my signal is coming in????? :puzzled:

amps can shut off for a few reasons..like low voltage, or impedance being to low (resistance but in a a/c circuit we call it impedance) bad remote? to much heat due to bad air quality/ circulation maybe even a bad ground!

1. do you have a dmm?

3. what is the input voltage at peak current draw (full blast) and at no draw (volume at 0) ?

8 .what size is your alt

11. engine size

12. starting battery

14. do you have a gf

15. is your mom hot

17. i am done!

report back and we can go from there to help you! and yes you came to the right place for help! welcome to ssa and enjoy your stay!

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

gain at 85% is pretty high. What is the signal input voltage from the head unit and what is the range of acceptable input voltage on the amp? What volume and out of how many possible notches do you turn your head unit's volume to? What impedance is the sub and how is it wired? You say "subsonic is at middle frequency," well tell us what that frequency is, along with the lowpass filter.

lol you like that! lol! damn what the morning will do to my typing lol

and just to make sure nobody took step 13. in the wrong way i didn't mean ANYTHING by it not a SINGLE thing and if i have offend ANYONE please let me know and I will remove 13 ASAP or let the admin know to remove it.

truely I meant nothing by it lol banginGMC got a kick out of it i guess lol! but i am sorry if i offend anyone. :(

1. do you have a dmm?

8 .what size is your alt

11. engine size

12. starting battery

14. do you have a gf

15. is your mom hot

17. i am done!

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

How hot is a term from studio/recording engineers, which is the level of the sound is being sent to the amplifier i.e. preamplification/volts from your head unit or from the recording itself basically no headroom on the verge of or peaking the signal coming in.

How hot is a term from studio/recording engineers, which is the level of the sound is being sent to the amplifier i.e. preamplification/volts from your head unit or from the recording itself basically no headroom on the verge of or peaking the signal coming in.

from head unit its 2.5 volts. but yest.. i think what is going on is low voltage.. thats what is getting my amp super hot and ofcourse i live in arizona so 110 degree weather doesnt help much either.. lol

gain at 85% is pretty high. What is the signal input voltage from the head unit and what is the range of acceptable input voltage on the amp? What volume and out of how many possible notches do you turn your head unit's volume to? What impedance is the sub and how is it wired? You say "subsonic is at middle frequency," well tell us what that frequency is, along with the lowpass filter.

i have imput level at 85 becuase if i dont you cant hear any volume coming out of the speaker. the head unit is 2.5 volts i turn it up to 34 out of 50 with bass level on head unit -4 db;s or else you can heaer the woofer start tapping out in sertain bass levels.. subsonic is set to 15mhz and low pass filter is set to 70mhz..

Really? No one has asked the biggest question of all?

What ohm is your amp at?

What ohm is your amp at?

it is wired down to 1 ohm..

What ohm is your amp at?

What ohm is your woofer?

What ohm is your amp at?

What ohm is your woofer?

Real talk, WTF.....

What ohm is your amp at?

What ohm is your woofer?

woofer is dual 2 ohms fi q 15 fully loaded.. good to handle up to 1500wrms

What does your electrical system consist of?