pdubb

bad voice coil.

so i bought my btl 12 in late march. and i just got the money for my new amp. a alpine m2000. but the amp kept cutting out. and i tested the voice coils on the sub and i've got a bad one. it seems to me that it was never right. and i was wondering what i should do about it. i'll call FI in the morning but do you guys have any suggestions?

You probably shouldnt blame the sub or claim that its never seen power. I believe you were complaining of clipping problems back in early april. (yeah your threads get saved) :suicide-santa: If you have been sending your sub a clipped signal for the past few months i would imagine thats your problem. Fix your clipping problem then re-cone you sub.

i just figured it never saw real power, my only experience with voice coils was burning them from too much power.

and it clipped a few times yes, but i monitored it and tried to avoid it. but the sub's been sitting for a while now after i got the money for new batteries and new 0/1 awg wires i tried to hook it up again and now the voice coils bad.

Edited by pdubb

a clipped signal it just as bad as overpower

I'll save Nick the trouble.

Speakers are dumb, they do what you tell them to do. Sending it a clipped signal generates more heat in the coil than sending a little more than CLEAN rated power will. (open to debate I know, but I agree with it) You sent it a clipped signal, and you knew it, now it's blown. It sucks, I know, but if you get the signal problem fixed and get the sub reconed, you'll be better off than you were before.

sucks is gonna cost me 175 bucks for this.....all ive had is problems.

Edited by pdubb

Look at it like this. Having lots of problems gives you the opportunity to learn how to troubleshoot the problems, find the best way to repair the problems, and gain the knowledge and experience to avoid the same problems in the future. I know it sucks. I'm married, have 4 kids, and my 18yo little bro lives with us. I have VERY little spare $$$ for when things go bad.

sucks is gonna cost me 175 bucks for this.....all ive had is problems.

That you have caused.

not intentionally.

its not my fault that i was sent a bad amp. yes it was bad, they came out and said they sent me one that had been previously returned.

and the only time i played it so it clipped was to test to see if it was working or to show one of the guys at the shop what was happening

so knowing you had a bad amp, you still blamed FI?? i dont think you really deserve another BTL. blow some cheap subs a few times untill you appreciate a quality product. :trippy:

i didn't know until after it happened. and the gains were turned all the way down, i just didn't think it would do this. look i've had a lot of problems and i didn't know what happened

but you knew the clipping cause the sub to fail. then said you got a bad BTL from fi. not very cool dude.

i didn't think it would cause it so soon.

it's just hard when youre 16, working two jobs trying to pay for thousands of dollars of equipment, and stuff messing up like this.

i didn't think it would cause it so soon.

it's just hard when youre 16, working two jobs trying to pay for thousands of dollars of equipment, and stuff messing up like this.

boo-hoo. try having a mortgage, wife, two car payments, baby on the way and no job. go ask your mommy. lifes really not that rough when your 16 and live at home. right now your biggest problem in life is that you broke a subwoofer. boo fuckin hoo!!

so do i just buy the recone kit on there site and select "yes" for "send in sub" and then just ship it to them tomorrow?

so do i just buy the recone kit on there site and select "yes" for "send in sub" and then just ship it to them tomorrow?

yes, then when you get it back, BUY A NEW AMP

i love this fucking topic......

b pup claims that the coil "has never seen power"

SM bust him

b pup... umm yeah but i only clipped it a few times

SM yeah sure you only clipped it a few times,.. with your super calibrated ears

B pup...but it was the amps fault

SM thought you said it was FI's fault.

B pup well its anyones fault but mine!! this isent fair :nopity:

SM STFU one day you will know "problems" :squintfinger:

and thats pretty much the way i read it!!!\

thank god for SSA keeping topics on the books!

shhhhhhhhhhhh puppy :shutup:

lol

Maybe it's not completely your fault if you truly got a bad amp, but look at it this way- it's definitely not FI's fault if the amp is bad. I read back to your other thread and you said that you tested the impedance of the subs when you were initially having amp problems and they were both confirmed as dual 1s. I assume instead of impedance you mean resistance? Anyways, the only company that may be liable is Alpine. Since they know they sold you a previously returned amp, there should be some liability on their part. Call them.

i love this fucking topic......

b pup claims that the coil "has never seen power"

SM bust him

b pup... umm yeah but i only clipped it a few times

SM yeah sure you only clipped it a few times,.. with your super calibrated ears

B pup...but it was the amps fault

SM thought you said it was FI's fault.

B pup well its anyones fault but mine!! this isent fair :nopity:

SM STFU one day you will know "problems" :squintfinger:

and thats pretty much the way i read it!!!\

thank god for SSA keeping topics on the books!

shhhhhhhhhhhh puppy :shutup:

Happens daily...it's automatically our fault because we're at the end of the chain...bulldog mouth on an email or a forum and you get somebody on the phone and they're really a puppy dog and the truth comes out :). "welll it was hooked up for a little bit in this box that was tuned to 60hz..and i did play some lil john on it.." or "I don't know what it is tuned to but it was professionally installed.."

The saying 'Shit trickles down hill' is very fitting.

To the OP.

When i was 16, i was working for 4 bucks an hour...and every dime I could save went into my stereo after paying for my insurance for my car, food, and gas. Yeah..it sucks. But you did something dumb...I was in your shoes when I was your age. Except one of the guys who worked at a different company sold me 4 bad amps that shot straight DC voltage into my brand new HC's that I had saved up a year for...they lasted all of 3 seconds.

Order a recone on the site and select 'yes' to send in sub. Please make sure that you use original packaging...if you put it in anything else it's going to get broken into 10 pieces.

does it cover the shipping when you send it back to me?

edit: nevermind, it adds it in once you go through the checkout...

Edited by pdubb

I would buy an extra recone, honestly....

I would buy an extra recone, honestly....

havent seen you in a long time.

well the checkout thing on FI isn't working for me. I probably wont make the show on the 26th now. shit happens

It works fine, there's a bit of code that is wonky sometimes when you enter your information and hit check out. It shows the value of the kit zone and we can't figure out why it is doing it. It isn't an error it's just how it is coded...click the thing that says 'payment page' like i've linked below.

clickthat.jpg