bob jeffery

First Cheap System

Please don't flame me, I know this is all extreme low quality to you veterans, but I just want a cheap first system. Here is what I am thinking of using-

Phoenix Gold V752 (pg-v752) - 2-Channel Car Amplifier Power Amp - Sonic Electronix - A phoenix gold 250 watt rms @ 4 ohms bridged amp, CEA-2006 Compliant (there is probably a better option for under 100) $75

Dayton DCS450-4 18" Classic Subwoofer 4 Ohm | subwoofer dcs450-4 18" subwoofer dayton dayton classic dayton audio dayton loudspeaker | Parts-Express.com - A Dayton classic 18, 300 watt rms, 4 ohm, 8mm of xmax , $115

Power Acoustik AKIT-4G 4 Gauge Amplifier/Amp Installation Kit - 4 guage power wire amp kit, with 16 gauge speaker wire and all the necessaries, $40

And I will be putting this in a suburban, so there is plenty of room for a giant box. I'll probably go ported. Don't know if I will do a t-line or anything like that. I really don't know how much the box would cost, since this will be my first system ever. So approximate cost would be $230+

Any suggestions welcome, I'm trying to keep the total price under or around 300. I picked the 18 because I want it to go low, but I don't need anything incredibly loud. But loud is nice.

What's your limit of speaker size???

Here's a pair of 15's and a amp that falls into your range.

This setup will have more cone area than the 18 and the amp is stronger and still CEA certified...

http://www.vminnovations.com/product_4263/Soundstream_PCX2_540_540W_2_Channel_Amplifier.html

PowerBass PB-C156Dv.2 (pbc156dv2) - 15" Subwoofers - Sonic Electronix

two 15's and the soundstream would run you $220 shipped...

Edited by mr.sagat

This setup will have more cone area than the 18 and the amp is stronger and still CEA certified...

http://www.vminnovations.com/product_4263/Soundstream_PCX2_540_540W_2_Channel_Amplifier.html

I really like that 18, but do you think 2 of those 15's would be louder / have any better sq? What about one of them?

Please don't flame me, I know this is all extreme low quality to you veterans, but I just want a cheap first system. Here is what I am thinking of using-

Phoenix Gold V752 (pg-v752) - 2-Channel Car Amplifier Power Amp - Sonic Electronix - A phoenix gold 250 watt rms @ 4 ohms bridged amp, CEA-2006 Compliant (there is probably a better option for under 100) $75

Dayton DCS450-4 18" Classic Subwoofer 4 Ohm | subwoofer dcs450-4 18" subwoofer dayton dayton classic dayton audio dayton loudspeaker | Parts-Express.com - A Dayton classic 18, 300 watt rms, 4 ohm, 8mm of xmax , $115

Power Acoustik AKIT-4G 4 Gauge Amplifier/Amp Installation Kit - 4 guage power wire amp kit, with 16 gauge speaker wire and all the necessaries, $40

And I will be putting this in a suburban, so there is plenty of room for a giant box. I'll probably go ported. Don't know if I will do a t-line or anything like that. I really don't know how much the box would cost, since this will be my first system ever. So approximate cost would be $230+

Any suggestions welcome, I'm trying to keep the total price under or around 300. I picked the 18 because I want it to go low, but I don't need anything incredibly loud. But loud is nice.

only 8mm of xmax? This cant be right. 2 15's will give you more output typically but it is all install dependent. Do you have someone to build the enclosure or guide you through it?

Xmax should not determine woofer choice.

I'm sure that 18 will get down with very little power. But, that being said, the 15's will have more flexibility in terms of future installs in different vehicles, voice coil configs and selling them locally in the future. Most people aren't too familiar with Dayton subs, I know they're good (I've wanted a Titanic forever) but those Powerbass's will be a easier sell to the average guy if you ever choose to do so.

I'm sure that 18 will get down with very little power. But, that being said, the 15's will have more flexibility in terms of future installs in different vehicles, voice coil configs and selling them locally in the future. Most people aren't too familiar with Dayton subs, I know they're good (I've wanted a Titanic forever) but those Powerbass's will be a easier sell to the average guy if you ever choose to do so.

I like that advice !

2 15" woofers for a first install, and on a very tight budget : that is cool !!!fing34.giffing34.gif It gives much room for improvments in the future.

Be sure to build a good box for the sub.popcorn.gif

I would maybe recomend buying a used woofer from someone here. You can get some amazing deals from good people here!

I would maybe recomend buying a used woofer from someone here. You can get some amazing deals from good people here!

x2, you would end up with a much better product

x2, you would end up with a much better product

Okay, I will think about that. I just want something cheap, that will get low, with decent levels of spl. I know that is a lot to ask for though. The only thing is that I doubt there will be very many big, low power subs for sale, which is what I am looking for.

You can get crazy loud with 300-500 watts on a 2000wrms sub. you dont need to buy a low power sub.

No such thing as underpower.

Check the classifieds

You can get crazy loud with 300-500 watts on a 2000wrms sub. you dont need to buy a low power sub.

No such thing as underpower.

Check the classifieds

I looked through and couldn't find any subs around $100 for what I wanted :shrug: So I will probably choose between he powerbass 15's and the dayton 18. Seems like the 2 powerbass 15's would be louder, but the 1 18 would have better sq? Am I right? I can't seem to find any better sub/subs than these. I won't acquire the $300 for this system until august, so I still have a good bit of time to decide what I want.

Her's a better pair for 10 bucks less

Infinity 1262w-2-PACK (2subs_1262w) - 12" Subwoofers - Sonic Electronix

Both will sound just fine as long as the box is well designed and well built. The SPL level "should" be higher out of the 2 15"s since there is a difference in cone area.

I would do the 2 15"s in a well built ported box, with the Sound Stream amp and you will be all set.

eBay for mainstream products such as sub woofer packages.. really cheap deals.

Instead of 4ga I would use 1/0 and just trim it down so you dont need to re-run wire if you decide to upgrade.

I don't plan on building a t line lol, I'll look at eBay, and it seems like 0 guage wire is kinda expensive, and I'm trying to save as much money as possible. Is a ~9 cube box enough for 2 15's, because I could build a 9 cube box with plenty of space left, or I could build something much bigger.

I don't plan on building a t line lol, I'll look at eBay, and it seems like 0 guage wire is kinda expensive, and I'm trying to save as much money as possible. Is a ~9 cube box enough for 2 15's, because I could build a 9 cube box with plenty of space left, or I could build something much bigger.

Order your wire from weldingsupply.com. It's nice and the price is good.

9cf would be plenty, but remember you need to subtract port and sub displacement from that.

Where in SC are you? I am in Florence.

That's why I said ~9 cubes, I think I actually calculated it out to like 9.5 cubes. I am from oconee county. Know where that is?

That's why I said ~9 cubes, I think I actually calculated it out to like 9.5 cubes. I am from oconee county. Know where that is?

Sure do. Been up that way a few times. Wish we had some of that cooler air down this way. lol

It's about 94 right now lol. I'm kinda limited with money on this system, 300 max , since I don't have a license yet, and that keeps me from being able to get a job. I think I have a pretty good system planned out. I just wanna go low at a decent volume.

Im not a big fan of mainstream stuff or kicker but kicker does have some nice budget subs and they are hell of starter system Buy one kicker get other one free and get a half way decent amp would stick with that soundstream looks decent. Thumping down the ride like a champ with a thick wallet at the same time!!