tccoble

not hitting the lows quit like I want

I'm running 1 SSA DCON in a 2.3ft^3 ported box at 31hz, its down firing in a 02 GMC sierra on a Diamond Audio 400.1. It just doesn't seem to hit the low low notes like my last subs, I dont know if its because its ported and they were sealed or if its the Subsonic filter or what, just looking for suggestions. I can feel the lows and the port fires like a hurricane, I just can't hear them that well, it seems to be only below around 30hz, for everything else it slams, and seems to play everything accurately.

What were your past systems?

Your subsonic should about 3hz lower than your tuned frequency.

It's not really fair comparing the low end extension of a new sub versus one that is broken in...give the Dcon some time and her fs will drop to rated parameters...

What were your past systems?

My last system was the same except I was running 2 Diamond Audio D1 10's in a sealed box

Your subsonic should about 3hz lower than your tuned frequency.

My subsonic is not adjustable.

It's not really fair comparing the low end extension of a new sub versus one that is broken in...give the Dcon some time and her fs will drop to rated parameters...

Thats another thing I was concerned about, It's not really broken in yet, I've only been playing it for 3 days, but for 6-7hrs at pretty decent volume levels.

Give your DCON time. The more playing time the more it will loosen up and hit the lows. If it's still not hitting the lows, re-check your tuning or look into re-building your box!

I'm not sure about this, but this is just a suggestion ...

The subs (might) put out a cleaner sound if you set them up to run at or around 2 or 4 ohms. Will not be as loud on a meter, but it might give the amp headroom and not work as hard to play the lows. I feel that the amp headroom/power cababilities is ALMOST as important as box tuning and installation.

Most SQ rides i've seen will only do 128 - 135 db spl. but a alot lower frequiencies, which takes ALOT more power to run. But there subs match better to their systems thus sounding ALOT better to the audio listener.

Again, Just a suggestion. Hope this helps.

Yes, the Fs may drop some as a result of the Cms increasing. However, since Fs or Cms are also used to calculate Vas, Qes, Qms, and hence Qts, the net change in in-box performance will be completely inaudible. We are talking a difference in response in the same enclosure of tenths of a decibel and a tenths of hertz. So while yes, the Fs may drop some....you can not attribute a change in sound to this phenomenon since all of the other determinant parameters change in proportion to Fs aswell.

The subs (might) put out a cleaner sound if you set them up to run at or around 2 or 4 ohms. Will not be as loud on a meter, but it might give the amp headroom and not work as hard to play the lows. I feel that the amp headroom/power cababilities is ALMOST as important as box tuning and installation.

While I agree with your premise (having available headroom is important), wiring to a higher impedance does not help one achieve that goal. If you gain "headroom" in the amplifier by wiring to a higher impedance, then the amplifier has a weak power supply that's not able to support the higher power output at the lower impedances. The amplifier itself should have zero headroom, unless it has a unique technology built into it like the RF T15kw. Otherwise, headroom in the amplifier itself is simply an indication of a weak power supply.

So if you gain "headroom" in the amplifier by wiring to a higher impedance, I'd suggest you look for a new amplifier rather than change your wiring.

I'm running 1 SSA DCON in a 2.3ft^3 ported box at 31hz, its down firing in a 02 GMC sierra on a Diamond Audio 400.1. It just doesn't seem to hit the low low notes like my last subs, I dont know if its because its ported and they were sealed or if its the Subsonic filter or what, just looking for suggestions. I can feel the lows and the port fires like a hurricane, I just can't hear them that well, it seems to be only below around 30hz, for everything else it slams, and seems to play everything accurately.

What is your subsonic filter set to? I know it's fixed, but what is the frequency?

Have you verified the enclosure volume and tuning frequency?

What was your prior subwoofer?

Do they "feel" stronger than your prior setup, just not as loud to the ear?

How low of frequencies are we talking about?

Most SQ rides i've seen will only do 128 - 135 db spl. but a alot lower frequiencies, which takes ALOT more power to run. But there subs match better to their systems thus sounding ALOT better to the audio listener.

0.5 ohm or 16 ohm, it won't matter how it will sound.

Higher ohms=lower power(on almost all amps)

You won't hear a diference between 0.5ohm or 16 ohm if it's the same power that is applied.(if the gains are set correctly.)

Just give it a couple more weeks and it should be broken in rather nicely. The you should slam the lows.

Just give it a couple more weeks and it should be broken in rather nicely. The you should slam the lows.

Not sure why the "lows would slam" after break-in compared to now when the response will be virtually identical.

Also, no need to wait weeks for break-in. Run the driver at high excursion for a few hours....job is done.

Impious

Are you saying that if I changed my system from 8 ohm mono down to 2 ohms, it wouldn't make a difference in sound quality?

Not argueing in any way, just asking. thanks.

Impious

Are you saying that if I changed my system from 8 ohm mono down to 2 ohms, it wouldn't make a difference in sound quality?

Not argueing in any way, just asking. thanks.

Not unless your amplifier is sub-par. In which case, the best course of action is to change amplifiers. Assuming we are talking about the same amplifier, the increased power output at 2ohm compared to 8ohm would potentially improve "sound quality".

(or if it was not designed to operate at 2ohms, which of course would be a problem as well)

Good read, great info. thanks.

My amp is designed (old school, class a/b) to run best at 8 ohm mono. I need to read up more on class d amps.

sorry for the disruption, thanks for the info.

I was thinking there might be a couple of other reasons you are missing your lows. One of them is that your running less cone area, the other is that the f3 of your past sealed enclosure is lower than the f3 of your ported enclosure. So, I'm guessing around 27hz and lower, your old sealed setup doesn't lose output as fast as your ported setup does. You said you don't have a subsonic filter, so you are probably playing some serious low frequencies on certain songs...

Just like ported is usually louder than a comparable sealed setup, the sealed setup will usually have a flatter output curve and will usually drop lower than a ported enclosures. I know true home audiophiles sometimes dabble with huge sealed enclosures and I'm guessing great and clean low end extension is why...

Edited by mr.sagat

It is running at 2ohms, it's an A/B class amp, but thank you for the advice.

well what song(s) is this problem?

What is your subsonic filter set to? I know it's fixed, but what is the frequency? Have no info on that

Have you verified the enclosure volume and tuning frequency? No

What was your prior subwoofer? 2 Diamon Audio D1 10's

Do they "feel" stronger than your prior setup, just not as loud to the ear? Yes

How low of frequencies are we talking about? Below around 30hz

OK OK OK, whoever said just let them brake in was right, and who ever said just let them play loud for a couple of hours was right. I spent the last three hours playing 20hz test tones and sine sweeps and deep bass musik, after my sub sat the my truck in 98 degree heat all day, and the lows are back as a matter of fact I'm getting the same kind of sound as I was from the 10's only I got louder lows and the bass seems to kick harder than before.