jlc1991

HDC3-Copper Coils or Aluminum Coils

so im about 97% set on getting 2 audioque hdc3 15s and seen there was an option for copper coils and one for aluminum coils. what is the difference in them performance wise?

What does less resistance make it do move easier??

Copper coils have less resistance.

:ohnoes9: Hope your not serious.

i dont understand then. which is better the copper or the aluminum coils. why is the aluminum coil like 60 dollars more then the copper coil on the hdc3 15?? im so lost :suicide-santa: lol

how much power will you be running to the subs? Coppers are more efficient and will get louder off less power, up to around 2kw each. More then that and you'll want the alum coils.

I've had several VC configs of copper and alum in my car. Currently running alum coils with 2 3500's on each sub @ 2ohm each for daily and .5ohm each for metering. they take it like a champ....

im gonna be running both of them off of one sundown 3500 at 1 ohm. i guess that means id need the copper coils correct?

Aluminum coils take more power because they are flatwound, they have more surface area for cooling. Copper coils gave more mass, they are heavier.

i dont understand then. which is better the copper or the aluminum coils. why is the aluminum coil like 60 dollars more then the copper coil on the hdc3 15?? im so lost :suicide-santa: lol

Because Aluminum Coils can handle much more power.

Here's a 3D model of an enclosure for those drivers.. i have the cut-list around here somewhere

sdesign222.png

215hdc3export.png

Box is 8 cubes NET with around 135 square inches of port tuned to around 36 hz. Port is 6" wide

Final box dimensions: 45"W x 20"D x 24"H -- with a double baffle

Top/Bottom (3) = 45" x 20"

Side L (1) = 19.25" x 22.5"

Back (1) = 45" x 22.5"

Side R (1) = 18.5" x 22.5"

Front (1) = 38.25" x 22.5"

Port 1 = 12.5" x 22.5"

Port 2 = 3" x 22.5"

**** It is your choice whether or not you want to put a 45 on the inner port wall (the 90 degree) so that airflow is better throughout the port

**** Port 2 will be mounted on the SIDE of port 1 NOT on top of port 1 (this is so that the first part of the port is still 6" in width -- port is 6" in width

bangingmc, that is sweet as shit that you have a sketchup of a design for the subs. dude you dont know how much id appreciate that cut list lol do you know the dimensions of the box by chance and ill be getting the 15's just for future reference. also thanks alot everyone for clearing up the original question. ill be going with the copper coils for now, maybe when i get my second 3500, upgrade to the aluminum.

copper coils for more sq and aluminum coils for better power handling.

so im about 97% set on getting 2 audioque hdc3 15s and seen there was an option for copper coils and one for aluminum coils. what is the difference in them performance wise?

So there is 3% chances left for you to choose other subs !

Take a look around here. The hdc are loud and "cheap", but maybe you can find something better.

One good 18" can be loud enough for you, or even louder than 2 hdc's.

bangingmc, that is sweet as shit that you have a sketchup of a design for the subs. dude you dont know how much id appreciate that cut list lol do you know the dimensions of the box by chance and ill be getting the 15's just for future reference. also thanks alot everyone for clearing up the original question. ill be going with the copper coils for now, maybe when i get my second 3500, upgrade to the aluminum.

Post edited w/ cut list.

It's REALLY easy to do, and free.

the HDC3 woofers are high inductance, that means the power you're throwing at it will be less than it would if they were low inductance. That's why they can take so much power.

GMC, ive been trying to rework the dimensions of the box. it wont fit in my available space lol my max dimensions are 37.5 wide X 31.5 deep X 16 tall. if you could help me out reworking the numbers to fit my space that would be helpful!!

ok i cant seem to manage to give the 2 15's the space they need to get down the most i could give them being about 3.5 cuft per sub after displacement. do you guys think it would be ok to build an enclosure at like 3.5 cubic feet per sub for the 15's? being that the sundown 3500 is such a beast of an amp i have to have room to mount that and also i have 2 batterys in the back and am looking at getting 2 more that i have to give some space to too. if you guys dont think thats ok then my second option is going with 2 btl 12's. id much rather have the hdc3's cause their much cheaper than the btls and ive heard from a few people now that they get damn near as loud as the btls. i could really use some help on this.