sundownz

"Blownest" woofer evAr.

Yes... "Blownest" may not be a word... but I think it needs to be after seeing this woofer.

I do not know who this belonged to exactly but Nick @ SI is re-coning it at my shop today so we thoroughly documented the carnage. Just had to share.

CIMG3842.JPG

* Thats not so bad, right ?

CIMG3844.JPG

* Well... that isn't normal.

CIMG3846.JPG

CIMG3847.JPG

* Back of the surround should be gray.

CIMG3849.JPG

* Melted material and discoloration on the pole.

CIMG3850.JPG

* Wow.

CIMG3852.JPG

* Kapton wrap of the former is melted and puddled up on top of the triple joint.

CIMG3853.JPG

* That used to be a plastic former cap from under the dust cap.

CIMG3854.JPG

* The solder actually re-melted...

CIMG3856.JPG

CIMG3857.JPG

* Some of the solder formerly from the connection point

CIMG3858.JPG

* That should be black.

CIMG3859.JPG

CIMG3864.JPG

* Insider of spider was burnt out.

CIMG3870.JPG

* Motor has been "anodized" with the burnt material.

---

There are some more photos in the directory that I didn't link directly :

http://www.sundownaudio.com/misc/SI_Mag_ASPLODE/

that is the blownest woofer i have ever seen!

now if that were a daily sub that would top it!

o really i thought that was they are supposed to look like after 5 minutes-- :peepwall:

That poor thing deserves a 21 gun salute. Is it even repairable with that much burnt material coming from out of the motor? It died a horrible death, looks like it saw 480v.

HA, that was my old woofer I'm kinda proud to say. I ran it off of a Memphis Belle @ 1 ohm for a couple years then sold the car/system two months ago. The guy calls me and says the sub blew and the amp won't drive the speakers so I recommended he send them in. Memphis replaced a crap load of internal parts on the amp and shipped it back to him but I don't think that sub it going to see the same fate. Looks like the basket is the only thing to recover, hope SI has parts on hand...

That poor woofer was murdered!

Somebody does not know what the hell they were doing!

ehh.gif

I feel really bad for the guy, something went horribly wrong in the 3sixty.2/amp interface and he hasn't figured it out yet. The amp is blowing all it's 20 amp fuses right away now, AFTER refurb.

My only plausible theory... amp took a crap and sent full rail voltage DC to the sub.

I looked up "blownest" in the dictionary and saw a picture of that woofer!

lol wow!!! full power! i wonder how much! aren't those mag v4 rated at 1krms?

That coil is black.. Only seen one worst before that one had fired it's self into the gap...

wow it's like to skinny people having sex too fast and the guy got bad case of friction burn ouch poor woofer

Ok, this is/was my sub. Nick told me that there was a thread on this forum and I passed that along to the former owner, Junglegoober. I didn't have any music playing from the head unit when the "event" took place. It was a electronic sounding 'ziiiip' followed by a 'pop' and then a nasty smell. The amp was rebuilt sent back and re-blown. I have no idea what is causing this mess, if anyone would volunteer to help I'd be most appreciative...

Sequence of events:

1. Purchased car- system worked fine

2. approx. 30 days later, I rewired the power to the 3.sixty.2 to a constant source, (it was on a switched source and the sub popped every time the power cut off) which was the 4 gauge terminal running to the amp. system worked fine for two full days.

3. "d-day"

4. sent amp back to memphis audio/ sub back to Nick at SI

5. had 3.sixty checked out at dealer, said it was not putting out voltage.

6. amp came back, hooked it up to front speakers/ 3.sixty.2. with the gains all the way down, the amp worked for 1 day.

7. today, 'ziiip' 'smoke' and six 20 amp fuses were blown in the amp.

please help me,

Sammie

maybe gremlins did it it sounds like it's getting a big surge of power some how and it cant handle it

my house did that to my home amp and it blew all the speakers it was hooked up to but by the sound it made was a high pitched ziiip sound when it happens it scared the shit outa me i was told it was a power surge and that my house breaker should have poped but didn't so it fried the amp and blew the speakers

ehh.gif

x2

That is some seriously brutal carnage :ohnoes9: RIP

okay explain something to me.. is this a 5channel amp?

b/c how how were you running the sub/ and front stage off one amp?

and also what does your car have for an electrical background?

h/o (high output alt)

extra batteries

what is the impedance (resistance) of the sub

big 3 upgrade

any more info would be good also did you install all this stuff? or a shop

Talk about maybe its blown?? lol

h/o (high output alt)

extra batteries

big 3 upgrade

Yes, the amp is a Memphis Belle MCH 1300, 5 channel.

Junglegoober could comment better than I on the other questions as it was his car/system for the past 3 years. But as far as I know it is the stock electrical system (mazdaspeed3)

The subwoofer WAS a SI Mag d2 v4.

To reiterate, the system worked fine for 3 years until the power for the 3.sixty.2 was moved to a constant source. That power wire was moved to feed off the same 4 gauge wire that was feeding the amp. It then worked fine for 2 days before everything went to hell. Multimeter shows no voltage coming from the 3.sixty rca outputs and it seems to be working fine.

There seems to be a consensus from those with more expertise than I, that the most likely culprit was/is a fault with the amp.

Thanks for replying with the constructive questions, look forward to your feedback.

ehh.gif

x2

x3, Frankly, I have no idea why this happened. Maybe you could help troubleshoot, if you have some expertise.

h/o (high output alt)

extra batteries

big 3 upgrade

The subwoofer WAS a SI Mag d2 v4.

To reiterate, the system worked fine for 3 years until the power for the 3.sixty.2 was moved to a constant source. That power wire was moved to feed off the same 4 gauge wire that was feeding the amp. It then worked fine for 2 days before everything went to hell. Multimeter shows no voltage coming from the 3.sixty rca outputs and it seems to be working fine.

There seems to be a consensus from those with more expertise than I, that the most likely culprit was/is a fault with the amp.

Thanks for replying with the constructive questions, look forward to your feedback.

Looks like a v3 to me, the v4's are the shallow mount ones. What are you using the 3sixty.2 for in the system?