Holy s**t! How much are you guys paying for alts? I called H.O. Alts & to replace my stock 130 amp with an oem repl 210 amp is $699.00. That doesn't incl tax, ship, etc! BTW this is the only one that won't require any mods or interfere with ecu so it's the cheapest route. Just got sticker shock & wanted to see if this was an average price. Called a couple local places but thier alts require a lot of other hassels with stock elec system.

contact Iraggi Alts, or Excessive Amperage,

they both have a lot of satisfied customers and decent prices

mean green as well.....

adn there are others.....

i think iraggi's run between 500-600 and excessive runs from about 250-400...at least, that's what i've been quoted....

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

My Iraggi was $372 shipped.

Thanks, I have emails in to Mean-Green & iraggi, haven't called Excessive yet. Looking at the Iraggi catalog I saw my alt but only up to '97 & I need a '99 so maybe I will just have to suck it up & pay more. They look like they range from 70 to 100 amps at idle for a 220 & after reading the other posts about probs at idle I guess I should spend what it takes to get the highest I can. The big 3 was very informative. I never would have done that, but plan to now as soon as I get the alt.

Thanks, I have emails in to Mean-Green & iraggi, haven't called Excessive yet. Looking at the Iraggi catalog I saw my alt but only up to '97 & I need a '99 so maybe I will just have to suck it up & pay more. They look like they range from 70 to 100 amps at idle for a 220 & after reading the other posts about probs at idle I guess I should spend what it takes to get the highest I can. The big 3 was very informative. I never would have done that, but plan to now as soon as I get the alt.

do the big three now and add an extra battery and you prob wont have to get a different alt.

keep in mind that a bigger alt can hurt your gas milage but another battery won't plus you can bang you chit longer with your car off.

This summer I added another battery to my boat, a deka Intimidator (around 100bucks) and I could run my system (audiobahn 1800d pushing 2 10's and a phonex gold amp pushing the four mains) for about an hour and a half and I only lost a few tenths of a volt (this is obviously with the motor off)

and also consider a capacitor

just my .02

later,

b

The alternator runs the vehicle, any electronics that are on run off of the alternator while the car is running.

Adding an extra battery wont do much since the car isnt running off the battery.

Capacitor!?!?!?!?

Thats just a poor excuse and a band aid to a crappy electrical system.

H.O alternator is probably the most beneficial electrical upgrade you can do to a vehicles electrical system

Bret at Irragi said

"Dominator" Series

200 amp / 100 amp idle $289.00

220 amp / 90 amp idle $309.00

"Dominator" Series comes with 90 day warranty, add Lifetime warranty & Exchange program for $99.00.

"Amputator" Series

200 amp / 120 amp idle $379.00

220 amp / 110 amp idle $399.00

"Amputator" Series comes with one year warranty, add Lifetime warranty & Exchange program for $99.00

That sounds a hellava lot better to my wallet than the other places. I don't plan on running sound system much with car off & can't think of anywhere I could put another batt anyway without strapping it to the roof! I was planning on the big 3, the alt, & a cap as well. You said the cap is just a bandaid, I can understand that using a cap without ho alt, but do you think it's still a waste with the new alt? I have never used one but it seems with the ho alt it would act as kind of a "cushion" for the alt. Of course I haven't seriously looked & priced yet. May not be worth the $. Thanks for everyones help! :D

H.O alts are made to take abuse, they arent called HIGH OUTPUT for no reason ;)

contact Iraggi Alts, or Excessive Amperage,

they both have a lot of satisfied customers and decent prices

:stupid:

:blink: Yeah, I pretty much used my common sense to figure out that HIGH OUTPUT must be better than stock. Otherwise I wouldn't be dishin out 400$ for one. I'll see how it acts at idle when hooked up & add a cap if any probs.

:blink:    Yeah, I pretty much used my common sense to figure out that HIGH OUTPUT must be better than stock. Otherwise I wouldn't be dishin out 400$ for one. I'll see how it acts at idle when hooked up & add a cap if any probs.

if ur going to add a cap, don't add just a 0ne farad or any of that small stuff. a cap only becomes effective when it's large enough to be of use, IMO, nothing smaller then 10 farad. and if ur going to spend that much money, u might as well get an xstatic battcap. they actually work. or add another battery (a nice blue top).

but don't ever, ever, waste ur money on a cap...

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

Do those battcaps recharge/wear out? I remember a guy around here that was sponsored by them a few years ago and he had to change them before and after a competition because they wouldn't recharge. I haven't seriously looked into them since I heard that and now I hear about them more and more.

i've never heard of that before. i've always heard that they are extrememly reliable and do what they advertise. the downside is that they are extremely pricey,,

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

i got my 200a for my lil ranger from jerry's rebuilders, right down the road here in ms. cost me 200 plus tax, and that included the new pulley for higher output @idle. tested on a load stand in front of me.

may want to give him a call, he owns a small shop, just him, his wife, and son, but we use his alt on all of our vehicles, and our customers vehicles. 662-566-1179 ask for wayne.

oh, and caps ARE worthless. it was a marketing idea richard clark came up with some years ago. in order to gain any beneficial amount of capacitance, you have to get the size and expense of a battery, and a battery is still better....

After recently breaking my stock alt, I picked up a new one from discount. That only lasted a week, and it broke 300miles away in Atlanta... it was a long ride home.

Just got my HO Alt in the other day. Not tellin ya how much it was though cause you'll be mad.

HO alt's are awesome people, if you compete I beleive you can get a discount but there is requirments on how many shows you do a year and stuff like that. They are real involved in Db Drag, awesome people. I almost bought an alt from Exessive but they didnt seem to into it.

DSCN1476.JPG

Maybe they are awesome, but only if necessary--and I love it if they are necessary; however, they are also the biggest electrical noise source in your car. Swap the big 3 and make sure you need it before you buy one. Or if you want to be cheap, there are a bunch of luxury cars that came stock with at least a 130amp alternator and from a j. yard these are like 35$.

negative run to the battery, sheilded RCA's, Ground loop isolators can cut the majority of that noise down

Dom seemed to give me a great price quote on a alt for my old truck but I have a feeling my new one is gonan rip out my kidney. My old truck was quoted for 300$ + shipping for a 300 amp alt that did 150 amps at idle IIRC but it was fora 85 chevy silverado .My new truck is a 2005 chevy silverado z71 if im not mistaken it has a sensor plug on the alt that is gonna bone me over.