tccoble

need opinions on box concept

I'm not very good with box designs but what do you, and by you I mean people that know about this stuff, think of running 1 SSA DCON in at roughly 2.5- 3ft^3 box with a passive radiator??? I like the idea and it would solve a few issues for me, but Im not shure how it would sound. I know thats a pretty big box for a DCON so what would the consequenses be?? This would be in a foward firing box in an 02 ext cab GMC sierra running at about 400watts.

I know nothing about passive radiators except that there supposed to act kinda like ports, I think, so any help with tunning or suggesting a specific radiator would be appriciated.

I don't think you can get a PR Dcon. Why don't you just port it?

It is in a ported downfiring box, but the surround hits the carpet under the box sometimes and that can't be good for the sub. I was just thinking of trying something different since I already have a forward firing box for it.

He doesn't need a PR Dcon. He just needs a PR, which are available from several different vendors.

The main "problem" with using a PR is that the PR needs a minimum of 2x the displacement of the subwoofer itself, so not just any ole PR will do. A PR with sufficient displacement is likely going to run you anywhere from $50-100 for the PR alone, which is a pretty significant added cost (nearly 50%+ of the cost of the driver itself).

i would steer clear of PRs, spend your money on a decent pre-fab box for that truck or make your own ported one