///M5

RLp sealed or Rli 10" ported: Fiberglass project

Hey, want your guys opinion on my setup and what to do. The review here and interactions with Mike have convinced me to go with a SoundSplinter. I will push it with either 310wrms (PG M44) or 500wrms (PG zx475ti). My choice due to volume is either a sealed Rlp 12" or ported 10" RLi. I haven't ordered the sub yet but have started on the mold for the box. Here are pics of the beginning.

post-967-1126043973_thumb.jpgpost-967-1126044004_thumb.jpgpost-967-1126044028_thumb.jpg

sealed rl-p and 500wrms would be killer....aim for anywhere between 1.25-1.45ft^3..i would opt for around 1.35 with that power...that should be awsome!!!

i have a 12rl-p sealed off 750wrms in 1.25ft^3 and love it!!

(like everyone didn't know)

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

Sweet, I will order the sub up tomorrow in the AM, hopefully the shipping won't take too long!

And for the bracket, not the first bit of fun I have ran into in this car...damn thing is built like it was meant to be watertight.

Any thoughts on the preferred firing direction? Firing at the other quarter, or a little more angled towards the "ski passthrough".

Ive heard those BMW's arent the greatest for bass.

rearward is usually preferred

yeah, aaron(denim) would be one to ask about which way to fire ur sub..he's got a beemer of his own adn knows how hard it is to get the bass in the cabin...

Sweeeeeet. Just hit the send button to Mike on my order! I am going to try and get my mold reinforced tonight as well, once I start to integrate the MDF I will post some more pics.

Thanks again, I will put a shout out to Aaron

yeah, aaron(denim) would be one to ask about which way to fire ur sub..he's got a beemer of his own adn knows how hard it is to get the bass in the cabin...

umm.... Aaron has a Benz, not a beemer...

benz..beemer..same thing different falking smell :lol2:

anyway, he should still be able to help as they are both dampened like mad....

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

Indeed, he was helpful. And yes the car is damped like mad. The only other car I have done work on that was worrse was my old Lincoln Mark 8. I sold it to one of my really good friends and with a W7 and 1000w it sounded good, but loud wouldn't be the word that I would use.

Mike shipped my sub today. I have 10 layers on my mold and will add another 7 tonight--not going to let it flex if at all possible.

keep with the updates and we always want pics!!

Mold is "thickened". Somewhere between 3/4" and 1"; hope it will support the Rl-p :lol2:

I can't bend it even without the other sides.

Driver lands on Wednesday, hope I can get a bunch done before then. Will keep updating as it goes.

post-967-1126294444_thumb.jpg

Mold is "thickened".  Somewhere between 3/4" and 1"; hope it will support the Rl-p :lol2:

I can't bend it even without the other sides.

Driver lands on Wednesday, hope I can get a bunch done before then.  Will keep updating as it goes.

It looks like you've done glass work before but that thing just looks really big to me! I would suggest that once you get a little further along test it with water to measure the displacement and then slug it if neccesary. If you are concerned with stiffness just use bracing like a normal enclosure thats what I did with mine.

and by the way its in a bmw as well, check in the fabrication post and you should find it.

later,

b

do the stand on it test, im shure it will pass with ease

Actually, never done glass work (I coated a kevlar canoe with resin to cover scratches, but that is it). One of the lessons that I am learning is that I should have done everything so far in the car. The edges kept getting bigger with layers and trimming this stuff is not what I call fun--even with an angle grinder.

As for being too big, I actually am running into the opposite problem and am going to have to make it longer--it will receive the water test and be corrected in the end.

looking good cant wait to see the final instal

Waiting for Fedex is like watching grass grow. Aaaarrgh! :hyper:

Should be ready to mount the baffle by tomorrow afternoon when the sub arrives. Here is the current "rectangular" box that it will be going in. By my crude estimations, it will be about 1.65cuft gross which I will limit down to 1.53 and use the old water test to verify. Can't wait to fill her up!

post-967-1126648183_thumb.jpg

Ahhh, the Fedex man finally came!!!! I can now build my baffles.

post-967-1126752594_thumb.jpg

Pic 1

My first real "volume" measurement. Pretty close to what I expedted at about 1.8cuft.

Pic 2

Bracing and baffle installed

Pic 3

Fleeced!! :D:D:D

First layer will dry until tomorrow.....

post-967-1126752904_thumb.jpg

post-967-1126752923_thumb.jpg

post-967-1126752932_thumb.jpg

looking good!!

Thanks. Got my first layer of bondo on a few minutes ago. Going to try and get it sanded and the last layer in the morning as I would love to blow some paint on it. I get on a plane to San Francisco tomorrow and will be gone for a week so letting it setup in the garage is perfect. Hopefully by this time tomorrow I will have some pseudo finsihed pics with paint; however, I am not sure that I want to body fill/sand the whole damn box. Holy crap building these things takes a long time.

Chit gets heavy too. 5 gal's of Resin, a few pieces of MDF, bracing and about 8 yards of 2oz matt really has a little weight to it. Add in the 32lb Rl-p and I am sure I will be near 150-200lbs.