slim142

Sub sounds louder with front passenger door open

Why does that happen? Is it normal?

Ford Expedition

1 12" Pioneer sub

Ported box

With mine front windows half way down is the loudest, all the way down or up is weaker I have a trunk though. With my previous car a hatchback had no issues.

my car is a 4 door hatchback mines sound loudest with both front windows down and or with the drivers or passenger side door open.

I found bass hits your head just right with a sunroof open.

loud sub systems and sun/moon roofs dont mix... when i shop for lincoln sunroofs are deal breakers!

I'll tell you what I am sick of the increasing amount of little dimples in my roof cause of roof flex. It's not very much since dynamat and the way I have my trunk/seat ported most of the bass hits my back.

It's venting, and that's why you meter louder if you vent vs. all sealed up.

2shay bass is louder with windows down with my trunk system. Moonroof open the bass just escapes and not as loud.

Your enclosure acts like the speaker and when you open the door or window that in turn acts like a vent or port and increases loudness.

Oh ok, I thought it meant that the setup had issues.

It does get noticeable louder with the door open. I wish it was like that with windows up haha

Look at it as the inside of the vehicle is an enclosure so opening a door or a window or even window half way would be the port.

Not exactly. Almost all systems are louder with a door or window open. The exception is usually only heavily modified SPL vehicles. The reason it's louder, however, is because of phasing issues. The open door allows bass waves to escape that would otherwise bounce around inside the car and cause cancellation. Doors and windows are too large to be acting like secondary ports. However, if you open too many windows and doors it becomes too difficult for the subs to pressurize the inside of the car anymore because it has to try and pressurize the outside air also.

mine hits harder with all windows down.. subs facing the back of the trunk towards the license plate.

KU40

Like your definition, I feel educated now. Thanks

Some theories several yrs ago i was reading said that it has to do with a ratio of sub displacement to cabin volume displacement.

It said that if the volume of the air displaced in the cabin was less than the sub displacement, then venting out the car would get louder.

However, if air displaced in the cabin is greater than sub displacement, venting out the car would actually hurt your metered score.

This would require a LOT of pressure and\or in a small cabin volume.

strangly mine hits hardest with the rear door windows both open down 3/4ths of the way (don't go down all the way)

subs sealed firing up in a hatchback, second loudest is all windows closed except driver window.

is this by ear or on a meter.. that's a big difference

By ear, i have neer tested this with a meter, logic would say my loudest sounding would have less spl but like i said that all about perveived volume not spl, it might have a little somehig to do with my front door speakers i plan to test this out when i get aholf of a tl again

strangly mine hits hardest with the rear door windows both open down 3/4ths of the way (don't go down all the way)

subs sealed firing up in a hatchback, second loudest is all windows closed except driver window.

What do you mean by "subs sealed firing up in a hatchback" ?

I found my sub hits harder firing back than firing up.

Did you "sealed" it like a kind of wall in the trunk?

I have some rattles from the hatch that I can forget when the sub is firing up! And, of course, I want all the bass I can have with my Xcon.

;)

he probably means his sub box is sealed firing up.

Yes, it is a sealed box firig upwards, it sounds cleaner this way and i can use my trunk withot worring about damaging the subs from things shiftig in front oc the cones or anything like that see my gallery for more info

Edited by Lord Aoshi