pherz1er

prefab box????

I'm new to the SS product line and the SS forums so I'm sure this is a stupid question. :Doh:

I want to a single RL-p 12" for my wifes car and it would be great if I could use her old prefab box.So the big question is......

Will it work???

Here are the specs:

2.18 cubic feet

tuned to 40 Hertz

ports are 25.00 square inches.

Thanks in advance!!!

are those the specs AFTER u put in the sub, or jsut the general specs?

reason being, if those are before the sub goes in, then ur displacment will drop and ur tuning will go higher...no tmuch, but still higher..

anyway, volume wise, yep, that's a decent box..tuning is high..might not be the best sounding thing going, but should work well enough untill u could build a proper box...

how much power will u be sending it?

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

General specs I think. Its actually a subzero box made for a rockford HX2 Power 12.

I have a phoenix gold xenon 1200.1 but I'm sure thats way overkill?

right?

BTW:how much power do you recomend?

General specs I think. Its actually a subzero box made for a rockford HX2 Power 12.

I have a phoenix gold xenon 1200.1 but I'm sure thats way overkill?

right?

BTW:how much power do you recomend?

I looked at the subzero site and those boxes don't look to bad and they are 3/4" MDF, some even have bracing. I think most of the prefab hatred is for the people that just pick any box as opposed to making sure it is the right size for their app and also because some of those swap meet prefabs might as well be made of 6 pieces of toast for all their structural integrity.

I think Mr Ray said 1200 was were the RL-p started to show it's limitations (based on his first hand accounts) so a gained down 1200 should be fine. As for the tuning, this is a question for you Kent, would more port area raise or lower tuning? Would it be possible to manipulate the tuning by modifying the existing port (by slugging or say adding a round port)? I'm just curious.

If you have a 2ft box gross (without port and sub) and you put a sub in it, the reduced displacement will cause the port to need to be longer.

If you have a complete box with sub and port tuned to 29Hz and you want to raise the tuning frequency you would shorten the port.

Rules of thumb, from a nominal design:

1) the smaller you make the box the longer your port will be for a set frequency

2) The higher the tuning frequency the shorter the port

Kent, please tell me I am right?

After reading what everyone has had to say I'll probably build one or have one built.

Heres a few pics of the box anyway just for fun.(so you can see why I wanted to use it)

Thanks everyone!! :D

15ky1.jpg

21fm1.jpg

Its currently For sale any takers?

that's actually a really nice looking box...adn i've heard alot of good things about subzero enclosures....i say keep the box.

psycho..he can indeed manipulate tuning by changing the size/ number of ports. this also changes displacment, unless he just seals one up....

m5...u're correct as well. the smaller the box, the longer the port will have to be for a set frequency, ie: 35hz port in a 2ft^3 box will be longer then a 35hz port in a 3ft^3 box.

adn the higher tuning will result in a shorter port...ie: 35hz port in a 2ft^3 box is longer then 40hz port in a 2ft^3 box..

BUT..this assumes the same size port, ie: all ports are 4" round int he above examples. different port sizes will result in different lengths.

pherz1er.....the power hx2 and rl-p are going to be roughly the same size, if anything, the rl-p will be a tad smaller. so displacment will go up a bit, lowering tuning a bit.

tell ya what..i can't seem to find that enclosure at the subzero website...pherz1er..do u have a link for it? or a spec sheet? before u make a decision on selling it or not, let me check it out some more. like i said, subzero makes some really nice enclosures (really won't label them prefabbed, ya know?) and that one u have might just work out great...

also, like psycho mentioned...with properly set gains, the rl-p will indeed handle the 1200 u have...

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

My thought on it was, and the reason I asked if the tuning could be manipulated, if he got a hole saw, cut a hole and then slid (and of course properly sealed and attached) the proper sized round port he could change tuning to something a little lower without affecting the boxs internal volume too much. Beause there are already the other ports I wouldn't guess that he wouldnt need too big of a port to get say 32Hz tuning.

psycho...interesting idea...but i dunno..lol...if i could get the specs ont he box, he might be able to jsut do some internal changes, or port blockages...or something..lol..

40hz is high, would result in great output, but at a loss of some of the sq the rl-p is capable of...

we need some measurements, or a spec sheet on that box!!!

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

Sorry I took so long to reply. I was waiting for subzero to get back to me with the specs.(which they still have not done.)

I did manage to get some dimensions though.

31.50" w x 15.00" h x 10.00" td x 18.00" bd

The inside dimensions of the ports.

6.25"w x 2.00" h x 16.00" d

Thanks for your help guys.

Sorry I took so long to reply. I was waiting for subzero to get back to me with the specs.(which they still have not done.)

I did manage to get some dimensions though.

31.50" w x 15.00" h x 10.00" td x 18.00" bd

The inside dimensions of the ports.

6.25"w x 2.00" h x 16.00" d

Thanks for your help guys.

assuming all 3/4" mdf....including the ports...

ur enclosure will be 2.34ft^3 net tuned to ~36hz...

not bad, maybe a tad big, but i say give it a go. set ur gains properly, as 1200wrms in that size enclosure is at the absolute max wanted. that can't be stressed enough.

but give it a try...

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

Every thing but the front baffle(its 1.50")

I also have a 1.2cf sealed box I can use if that would work better.

0000o39yz.jpg

BTW There is a chance I can use the xenon amp in my car and buy my wife something better suited for the Rl-p. what do you recomend????

the PG amp is fine it will do the trick just fine, just be smart with your gains, the RL-p has a very strong motor,

there has been almost no cases of a customer blowing an RL-p so they can take it from many different accounts so far,

Every thing but the front baffle(its 1.50")

I also have a 1.2cf sealed box I can use if that would work better.

0000o39yz.jpg

BTW There is a chance I can use the xenon amp in my car and buy my wife something better suited for the Rl-p. what do you recomend????

welp, with the 1.5" front baffle, i get 2.17ft^3 net, tuned ~38hz....jsut a touch high IMO, but i think it would still wrok great.

taht sealed box is sweet looking and would do a wonderful job as well!!

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer: