razman

Enclosure shape

I know that airspace is airspace for the most part, but how far can you go with box shape before it starts to affect sound? I have an area that's too short for 15's so will be using 2 diff heights on box plus shallow wedge in back. Are cubes cubes or will this affect any other factors such as tuning etc.? This is for dual 15's, open box with a single (maybe 2 but haven't decided) slot port of about 75 sq". My main concern is waves getting 'jammed' up in the 4"H, 9"D, 39"W rise in the front of the box. Or maybe that would be a good place for the slot lengthwise? BTW not written on it but width is 39" all the way.

CCF00972005_00000.jpg

My gut feel is on a sub-box it ain't that big of a deal. At 100Hz, sort of your top end for the shortest wavelength that your sub will be playing is about 3m or 12ft long. I would find it hard to believe that you will have a lot of destructive interference coming from an odd shaped enclosure. In fact, I would guess it would be even less likely than a square box--it may happen in more frequencies in your box but have less of an effect overall.

Just a guess, box building is new to me. Anyone think differently?

for the most part, air is air...

there is some technical mumble jumble to go inhere, but i'll let one of the techies explain it.

with that design, u should have zero issues....except deafness....:lol2:

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

Basically the skinny of it is that shape doesn't affect sound in sub enclosures. Like M5 said....bass-waves are too long compared to the size of the box for shape to affect sound. As long as it's the proper airspace, shape don't matter.

My gut feel is on a sub-box it ain't that big of a deal.  At 100Hz, sort of your top end for the shortest wavelength that your sub will be playing is about 3m or 12ft long.  I would find it hard to believe that you will have a lot of destructive interference coming from an odd shaped enclosure.  In fact, I would guess it would be even less likely than a square box--it may happen in more frequencies in your box but have less of an effect overall.

Just a guess, box building is new to me.  Anyone think differently?

wow, when i read that first sentence, i thought you were saying that the enclosure isnt that big of a deal. i was thinkin, this guy is frickin retarded, thats like the most important part of a good system. haha

Thanks for the faith Bobby! And if you saw the box I am attempting to build now, you would realize that I understand its importance. Next time though I will add the word box-shape to that sentence. Ha.