60ndown

made box smaller

i changed my sealed box from 1.6 approx after disp to 1.1 approx after disp, i prefer the sound? weird , i have lived under the impression that real low end was hard to achieve, but after shrinking the box i think i can say that there was too much, im thinking big box + low end monster sub + trunk + cabin gain = too much imfo below 40hz? ill play w it some more but definately enjoying the new lighter sound! ? :ugh2:

maybe i should just make a small sealed instead of low tuned ported for my 15. i need more lows!!! AAHHHH

I'm glad to hear someone commenting about this. There has been a fair amount of guff in the wake of 1s4pimp's experience with his small sealed box (granted his was considerably smaller, coming in at around 0.83 cu ft net if memory serves).. but I agree that the slightly smaller boxes around 1.0 - 1.15 cu ft net volume are very nice. Then again, it all comes down to what each of us likes personally, as well as how well things will meld with the rest of our stereo gear.

It seems that on the whole, people still prefer the added output of the 1.25 - 1.35 cu ft net enclosures. Of course, this added output can result in a slight peak or "boominess" at certain frequencies - where smaller boxes around 1 cu ft net will offer a flatter response at the expense of a slightly muted extreme low-end. It's always a give and take - which is why everyone should play around with different enclosures before giving up on ANY woofer (even a funky pup lol :finger: )

mike is 100% right...i love my rl-p in 1.25ft^3, wouldn't change it for the world...loud and low, even if there is a peakiness to it, i can't detect it..

smoked...u go small sealed, u'll lose low end extension...go low tuned ported, u'll be way happier...(or big sealed)

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

i figured the problem i was experienceing was that in my trunk i was getting 'trunk gain'? and then 'cabin gain' inside the car? audio is weird-i get something new and it sounds better ,then after a while listening i identify something id like to improve on.well i love my rl-p, but i was experienceing some odd vibrations? peaks? resoncnce? at certain freqs? i called 'audiocontrol' today (looking for an eq for the sub) and was talking to sean , he said that their in dash eq unit has a ss filter "fixed" at about 33hz? he said they did extensive testing and decided trying to get lower than 33hz in most cars without lots of work was pointless? (i have set my ss filter @ 33 for now)other people have sujjested i like the smaller box because it blends better with my 5.25 comps up front? so for now im very confused, im going to rammat my trunk / car? and play with bits of 2x4 in the box and see where i get, as for is1pimp and output, i had to turn the gains on my sub amp WAY DOWN when i made the box smaller??????????????????????????????????? smaller box =more output........in my car?

mike can I give you some guff?

haha

just an update iwas going to make the box smaller still but when i opened her up and did the math i figure its already only about 1.1 or 1.2 before displacement? so i stuffed it full of polyfill and left it alone. it sounds amazing. the type of bass is different to the bigger box, there were times i could make it 'wang' with my puny 600watts, but in this smaller enclosure its so dry and detailed. no shortage of low end at all, but when the lows are on the recording the rl-p plays them with such amazing authority with no added tonality, just the bass on the recording and nothing else.if your in to sq, and you havent tried a smaller box on your rl-p i reccomend it highly! very very sweet controlled deep accurate bass