Sign in to follow this  
jcardin

SAX 100.4 (C) Review

Company: Sundown Audio

Product Name: SAX 100.4 Rev C

Rating 4 out of 5

Power: 100 x4 or 320 x2

Pros: Flexible cross-over network. Enough power for entire system (if you are not greedy). Takes a beating thermally and physically. Not a flashy looking amp

Cons: Very large compared to comparable 4x100 amps which makes it difficult to mount. Not a flashy looking amp.

Ownership: 2+ years

I purchased this amp from DB-r as a refurb almost 2 years ago to install in a Miata to power the entire system. I only got around to running a 10" ported sub off of the rear channels which in that car was enough to make it (to me) a good thumping system. Nothing to break glass but enough to make me happy. (I'm in my 30's so I'm not trying to lose any more hearing). With the amp neing so large it was difficult to find a spot to mount. I'm not the best installer so I was able to get it to fit but it wasn't easy in such a small trunk. The car was rear ended by an Ford Expedition and the box that was in the trunk was forcefully shoved into the amp. Nothing was crushed but the amp did take some of the force of the impact. The amp was a little scuffed but still worked.

I installed the amp in the next car as just a sub amp again (lexus is300) and again due to the size I had to get creative in mounting. I needed to retain the passthru of the car's back seats so I decided to mount the amplifier upside-down under the rear deck. Before you start blasting me for this know that for almost 2 years the amp was like that I had absolutly 0 issues with this. NO OVERHEATING, NO flaky behaviour, nothing! Just kept on working. The amp did/does get hot but no hotter than when it was in the miata trunk. I understand that this is not optimal but the heatsinks were open to the air . With this amp In this car I went thru 3 subs (an 8"Ported , a 10" sealed and ported and a 12" sealed) and never thought that the amp was the weakest link in getting good sound out of these subs. This past spring, this car was involved in an accident which send another enclosure into the corner of the amp (oops forgot to secure that enclosure too) which did some damage to the wood of the box, but again the amp kept working. When I had the amp out after the wreck, I looked at the board and didn't see any signs of damange or anything. No weird caps or anything else obviously out of the ordinary.

I installed the amp in the next car with the intention to use all the channels. Its again, mounted upside down, under the deck powering a Tidal Audio 12" Sealed and a set of Hertz ESK-163L 3-ways in my E36 M3. The amp has enough power to make this system sound smooth and gets loud enough for me. Powers the fronts with ease and allows the 12 to fill in the lower end and can thump when I want it to. Sure it's only 300+ watts but it sure sounds good. The amp does get hot but no hotter than I've felt before. Frankly at this point, If it did die of heat, I'd do the same thing over again. I've gotten my $$'s worth out of it.

Overall, the performance of this amp has really made me happy. I've been able to use this amp in different ways and it has never disapointed me. It's hard now days to find something that doesn't let you down in way or fashion but this amp just keeps going. It may not be the easiest to install and may not be very popular name (like RF, alpine or such) and may not be flashy with LED's and such but for honest to goodness performace at a great price, I don't think you can find anything better. 4 out of 5. -1 star for just simply being big.

Pics in a few minutes :)

2010-06-22140044.jpg

2010-06-22140021.jpg

Edited by jcardin

I got a question. Can you tell me or can anyone tell me the difference between the Versions C+D? I'm looking to buying one of these amp cause I have heard nothing but good about them. Thanks.

I got a question. Can you tell me or can anyone tell me the difference between the Versions C+D? I'm looking to buying one of these amp cause I have heard nothing but good about them. Thanks.

Check this link out:

SAX-100.4D New [sAX-100.4D] - $365.00 : dB-r Electronics, Online Store

Check this link out:

SAX-100.4D New [sAX-100.4D] - $365.00 : dB-r Electronics, Online Store

Thanks alot bro. :fing34:

nice review... i have one of these as well, waiting to install it. and it is BIG, but ill make it fit somewhere lol.

Great review im waiting for mine to get here from db-r next week

That's a fantastic review. I have a Rev D as well waiting to go in. Big? Yeah they're big. It's about a three quarters of an inch shorter than my SAZ-2000D.

Big is beautiful ;)

Big power takes big amplifiers, it preforms at 12.8v too.

Big power takes big amplifiers,

A couple decades ago, yes.

With today's technology, no.

:werd_msword:

Touche Brad, :P

It's true, but I'm with Jacob, I'm a fan of larger amplifiers.