Sign in to follow this  
An-i-no

2 12" 187's - Questions

I am currently sub-shopping for my birthday (early July), and have my eyes set on a pair of 187's. I have a few questions.

1. Is a port tuned to 45hz too high? I have zero experience with box building and found a fairly cheap prefab tuned to such (lol don't bash me too much)

2. Can these take 500rms daily?

3. I was gonna buy mine off of some site called Vertex.com, I was wondering if anybody had any experience with them?

4. I had my heart set on two RF P3's (lol again, don't bash me too much). I noticed they have a larger voice coil than 187's. Should this be a concern?

5. Last one, I promise. How toughly built are these subs? Cuz I live in Texas and it gets HOT, and I don't want any thing goin wrong b/c of it. What's the best way to protect a sub?

Thanks in advance for any answers.

1. go to reaudio.com and use the box calculator there, it'll give you a full cutsheet along with a rough estimate on tuning etc. Try to stay away from prefabs if at all possible. imo box is a major part of the install and really allows your sub to do what it needs to do.

2. should be able to, just watch your gains and volume knob. also depends on other variables.

3. Vertexaudio.com is a great site, I have done business with them and would recommend them to anyone. The Owner people are great to work with.

4. Larger voice coil only accounts for so much, the 187s do plenty well with the voicecoil they have.

5. I'd honestly be happy with any IA sub, their build quality is hard to beat, just look how much time they put into each model they create. Best way to protect your sub... from heat? Power it correctly and don't clip the signal going to it. Clipping causes heat and heat .. you don't want :)

Sorry i'm not much if any help. I tend to just answer questions with my first thoughts in my head and can't go into fuller detail as others can. I speak from what i've read on various forums, personal experience is still towards minimal/normal.

Edited by Arsenal

45 hz is a little high for the subs. i would say 30 -35 would be good for them. Do really well around 32

These subs can take some power. they are rated at 300 rms but can take more. im giving mine around 500 watts each.

As far as build quality they are very sturdy and quite heavy. Around 20 lbs each when i weighed mine. They will outperform those p3's any day of the week. You really will be surprised by the output of these subs, especially with the little amount of power they require

All in all they are great subs to start with, and have a low price point. You wont be disappointed in IA products

just thought i would throw in some pics of the bottom of the subs and them in my car

SSPX0316.jpg

SSPX0345.jpg

As long as you don't clip your signal, they should be okay off of 500 RMS. Check my Death and Autopsy of a 187 to see what happens if you clip it.

They do well sealed, I'll tell you that. Mine got pretty damned loud in my Neon.

I think the P3 isn't in the same league, I think it'd be better compared to the LI, as they are in the same retail price point. Dollar for dollar, I'd put the P1's against the 187, and the 187 sounds far better.

Just my .02.

Kef

Thanks guys. A few more follow-up questions....if you don't mind...

Does anyone know where I could get a box built for under say...90 bucks? Or someone on here that'll do it? Cause I'm straight :puzzled: when it comes to building boxes.

To the two of you that own them (thanks for the pics btw, way to get me pumped lol), do they like low notes? I have a pair of 12"s now that just don't hit lows, (I suspect the crappy box their in) and I would really like something to show off "Hypnotized" with, if you catch my drift. :fing34:

Edited by An-i-no

you can probably find someone to build the box for one but i'm unsure on if 90 would get it due to shipping cost. that's why I said use the reaudio.com box calculator to give you an idea. it provides a cutsheet for the box.

you can probably find someone to build the box for one but i'm unsure on if 90 would get it due to shipping cost. that's why I said use the reaudio.com box calculator to give you an idea. it provides a cutsheet for the box.

just remember the RE calculator doesn't include driver and bracing displacement in volume specs. I've also read that the tuning may be a little higher...

i'm actually considering doing the 187s before the LIs the more I hear about them myself lol.. I think 6-8 12/10s would move some air.

Lol you guys have me counting down days now. Thanks everyone. Now I know what to expect! :woot:

My friend has 6 187 12s and they hit hard and sound great, he hit 155 dbz on 3000 rms