Rainbows or DIY Front Stage to go with Rl-p for SQ

Allright, now that you guys have helped me choose a sub

post-967-1126294626_thumb.jpg

post-967-1126294647_thumb.jpg

Big difference between $300 and $500...

Anybody else have a thought?

Big difference between $300 and $500...

Anybody else have a thought?

Lets first consider that you are not the type of guy to pay retail for anything (I hope I'm right on this). With that in mind other companies that a somewhat high priced should be in your budget.

I got my pair of MB Q Q series 215's for $285 those little bastards retail for 7 or something stupid. (cbrstereo.com)

Diamond Audio M6 series (for 180 on ebay a really good deal)

Diamond Audio Hex series (you can buy the same thing from Eton I've heard since Eton apparently makes them) I've heard they have slightly better highs than the M6 but not nearly the midbass.

most MB q stuff sounds pretty good

Jl Audio XR series are really good for the money

rainbow is nice but i've only heard a few

Focal has always impressed me but I've only heard em in nice fiberglass kicks so I don't know how they sound in chitty placements

later,

b

Indeed I am not the type of guy who normally pays retail, at least if I can help it at all; however, I am a little scared of buying used speakers as most idiots just thrash their stuff. I do like your ideas and will look around a bit more.

I have heard a set of the Rainbows and was pretty impressed and the Dayton drivers have been getting great reviews on home audio forums.

watch those focals, if u get metallic tweets, they can get harsh under power (i only gave mine 35wrms), otherwise, they are indeed nice speakers...

personally, i'd do the diy set. just to be different..lol....but that's just me...

talk to upstage audio here about cdt's as well....

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

the power bass prices are not bad, PM upstage like kent said

macxx,

Where abouts are you located? I haven't ever heard them, which might help...

I'm a DIY guy, but if I were to buy a set of components, I would not choose anything other than Rainbow.

macxx,

Where abouts are you located? I haven't ever heard them, which might help...

I'm in Hawaii..... no chance of you getting a listen to them way the hell out here. I'm no audiophile, at least I don't claim to be one, but I enjoy great sounding music and these Illusion ND-6's are a damn nice set of components. Great midbass response, nice smooth highs, very impressive build quality on all components.

I really haven't had the pleasure of listening to a lot of high-end components, so it's tough for me to make a great comparison. I'm running CDT CL components (entry level) and have listened to MB, Focal, Eclipse, Diamond HEX series, Alpine Type-R. I'd have to say I like the Illusions the best of all those. I found the highs to be smoother and warmer than the MB and Focal sets which I found a bit bright and tinny. And for me, the Illusions sounded more airy and spacious and had a nicer soundstage.

My .02.

If you are interested and would like to make an offer, just PM me with something. Otherwise, good luck in your search for a component set and thanks for the interest in the Illusions.

me? if i didnt have horns and dedicaed mids in doorpods? id go with the oogly set. they are supposed to be nice drivers to begin with, and with a proper crossover (active or one BUILT for them) they should be pretty sweet.

ive not heard raimbows, but i have heard a setup similar to the DIY set (lower end drivers of dayton with active crossovers though), the CDT CL series, type r's, image dynamics CD2's, image dynamics CD1-e's, alphasonic somthing or other (eew), and other stuff i cant name off the top of my head. only whats been at local shows and stuff. ive not been on the scene long, but my CD2's and the CD1-E's sounded the nicest.

any sort of high - they are so smooth i was blown away. the only downside is they can be a pain to install, and need active crossovers, and love EQ's (rta would be for the best) - and a dedicated midbass.

for me, id take the oogly set, again, just to be different, and they do have much potential. but i would fabricate new kicks and mount the tweeter somewhere else most likely.

good luck with your choice my friend.

I like different, and am envious of your horns; however, the active crossover and eq setup will have to wait for the future. That might be another advantage of the Daytons, when I yank them out of the car they can be turned into bookshelves someplace in the house.

Thanks for the reply req, but you brought up two new questions for me:

1) How did you like the cheaper set of Dayton's

2) Where would you recommend putting the tweet. My thought was to glass out my kickpanels and put both drivers down there. The mid's wouldn't receive the worlds best angle, but the tweets I would time align with an RTA as much as possible. What would you do?

im also caught in a decision between the ologys and the arc acs 265's which are basically rainbow contours with a different crossover and the pro tweets. they're going in fiberglass kicks in an 87 trans am. how are the tweets with the ologys or has anyone heard them? i dont want anything harsh, i like smooth and want silk unless there is a very smooth metal tweet.

My concern as well. Going to go DIY of some sort for sure now though, just haven't decided what. My recent (hours ago) install of a new Rlp has definetely made me want more mid-bass than the puny bimmer 5.25"s can put out.

Anyone have any thoughts on the Dayton tweet?

bump

sound off like you've got a pair!!

If you want to stick with the 5.25s, the Scan-Speak Revelators will put out some amazing midbass comparable to many 6.5s on the market. Just my own $.02.

Hey, that would be too easy. I would only have to build a baffle since my current 5.25 are the german mount backwards type.

I will probably yank my doors off and see what else I can do this weekend.