dennisp

looking for a pair of 8" subs

I've never been a big basshead, so I'm downsizing my idmax down to a pair of 8's. looking to spend about whatever I can sell my idmax for, so I'd say about 200ish, maybe a little more. mounting depth can't be too deep, lets just say 6" tops. I'm thinking about the ID8's right now, any input on those would be nice or any other suggestions. the eD 700s were also considered but ehh...lol. looking for purely SQ. my high end consists of extremis's and AC g2si ribbons. these are going where the rear speakers go, but in a sealed box. thanx yall.

what's the mounting depth on those? I was considering them but the cost seems a little outta my range.

thanx tom. dont think i can afford em though.

some dude just offered me his 2 arc 8's (look exactly like ID8s, prob the same) for 180 shipped (he might be local so even cheaper). might go for that although more suggestions would be great :)

I know you asked for 8's, but how about a single 10" DVC. For the money you want to spend it gets you a better sub, while having a similar amout of cone area (2 8's ~90", 1 10 ~ 78"insq). Makes for a box the same size if not smaller as well. An Rl-i10 takes less than .75cuft and its depth is 13.9cm. Of course, this is all dependent on the amplifier you are going to push your subs with as would selecting 8's. How are you going to power them?

I know you asked for 8's, but how about a single 10" DVC.  For the money you want to spend it gets you a better sub, while having a similar amout of cone area (2 8's ~90", 1 10 ~ 78"insq).  Makes for a box the same size if not smaller as well.  An Rl-i10 takes less than .75cuft and its depth is 13.9cm.  Of course, this is all dependent on the amplifier you are going to push your subs with as would selecting 8's.  How are you going to power them?

i kinda like this idea...

especially since ur not a "basshead"..

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

I know you asked for 8's, but how about a single 10" DVC.  For the money you want to spend it gets you a better sub, while having a similar amout of cone area (2 8's ~90", 1 10 ~ 78"insq).  Makes for a box the same size if not smaller as well.  An Rl-i10 takes less than .75cuft and its depth is 13.9cm.  Of course, this is all dependent on the amplifier you are going to push your subs with as would selecting 8's.  How are you going to power them?

the only reason i'm going with 8's is because i'm pretty sure that's all i can fit in the rear speaker slots. my whole purpose of downsizing is to be able to use my rear seats again. trust me, if i could fit 10s in there, there would be 10s in there :P. i'll probably go measure later and see what i can do.

as for power, i'm using my dls A5, which says

Mono channel, nominal power in 4 ohm : 300 W

Mono channel, nominal power in 2 ohm : 500 W

Mono channel, nomonal power in 1 ohm : 780 W

My thought on the 10 was that when I went through the math with the Rli 8 / 10 that I could easily fit a single 10 where two 8's wouldn't fit. Of course unless your restricting dimension is the diameter of the speaker.

Anyways, grab a pair of the rli 8's or 10's, the customer service from SS should sell it on its own, not to mention the sub.

They are goint in his stock speaker location....10's will not fit

Concept CMP 8 ;)

been searching but i cant find em online yet. wanna help noobie out?

I think thats the mode #...not exactly shure

They were #2 or something in the great 8 challenge

i think he meant crystal CMP's, here is the thread:

http://forum.soundillusions.net/showthread.php?p=468313

ding ding !

the CMPs would be very nice for sure

lol. i can probably fit a 10 back there with a little effort!

got a pic of the mounting locations?

this gonna be an IB setup?

So... are you not willing to cut for a bigger sub? just cut the hole a little bigger and put 2 10's back there... If I can fit a 12 for my first real intall ever, surely you can fit 2 10's. I have faith in you.

sorry bout that, been on vacation so I couldnt respond. I'll try to get pix tomorrow so yall see what I'm talking about.

dscn11731wm.jpg

dscn11751rw.jpg

dscn11769dx.jpg

that black plastic mounting hole will be removed, so I'm looking at 5" from back to front including enclosure. I can probably squeeze .4cubes in there. right now I'm thinking about the MB quart reference 8's, but I cant seem to find a mounting depth or xmax on those. I really want to get the ID8's, but they have a mounting depth of 4.75" so that probably wont work out. the cdt ef-8's also seem like a decent option, I could go that way. cant seem to find the xmax numbers on that, any help would be great. maybe nick can chime in with some impressions on the cdt. :) really wondering about the LFE.

Hmm, is that really "sealed" and is it structural? You might want to look into adding a real baffle and strengthening up the structure if it isn't. That's what I'd do, and of course up to the rl-i10 but thats up to you, I am sure the 8 would rock too.