cvame

Total Midbass Confusion

Yes, if you set the switch to "full" then the filter is not effective. This is bad. You want to highpass your speakers.

I did the HP & 80Hz, there is VERY little bass. This is where I will leave it set.

Just making sure for those that are gracious to help me with this, all I have in right now is the 6.5 mid from the T1652-S. In case some were under the impression I had mid bass drivers in.

As mentioned above, try reversing the polarity of one of the mids and see if that has any change.

Reversing just the mid, or is reversing it at the amp ok? It'll do the tweeter too

Try just the mid.

Not to thread jack, but what if you went low pass and used a variable subsonic filter to create the bandpass filter. Would this work as well?

Very informative post btw.

Not to thread jack, but what if you went low pass and used a variable subsonic filter to create the bandpass filter. Would this work as well?

Yes.

That's how Sundown's multi-channel amplifiers have bandpass capabilities; the lowpass crossover and bandpass filter are used to create a bandpass filter.

If you want massive midbass then bandpass a 10 or 12 to your midbass frequencies, that will be the only way to push enough air to get the midbass "you want"

Yes.

That's how Sundown's multi-channel amplifiers have bandpass capabilities; the lowpass crossover and bandpass filter are used to create a bandpass filter.

Impious, could you elaborate on how to do that? Because I'm looking for a bandpass filter, can't seem to find one. Short of spending serious coin on a fosgate 3sixty.2 just to cross over two speakers.....

Great thread.

:+1:

Yes.

Impious, could you elaborate on how to do that? Because I'm looking for a bandpass filter, can't seem to find one. Short of spending serious coin on a fosgate 3sixty.2 just to cross over two speakers.....

Pretty simple really. Some amplifiers have a subsonic filter with a wide enough frequency range that it can be used to highpass a midbass. A SSF is nothing more than a highpass filter, so this highpasses the midbass. If the amplifier also has a lowpass filter that can be used in conjunction with the SSF, then the lowpass filter can be used to lowpass the midbass. This creates a bandpass filter.

There are other ways to do it aswell. If your headunit has a lowpass crossover and your amplifier has a highpass crossover, you can use them both together to create a bandpass filter. Or vice-versa.

I believe the only thing my current deck (JVC KW-XG700) close to a lopass output is the sub RCA. The amp had both a hi or low setting. Would this work or would the sub channel be too low?

I believe the only thing my current deck (JVC KW-XG700) close to a lopass output is the sub RCA. The amp had both a hi or low setting. Would this work or would the sub channel be too low?

Is your amp's hi or low setting fixed at certain frequency or is it variable?

It has the 3 "hi-all-low" choices and the adjustable.crossover...

If you are talking about using the subwoofer channel for the midbass, I wouldn't.

The lowpass crossover range is probably not going to be wide enough to be useful.

If you are talking about using the subwoofer channel for the midbass, I wouldn't.

The lowpass crossover range is probably not going to be wide enough to be useful.

I wouldnt think so either...

Impious, what else do you think i would be able to use as an effective bandpass? Ive looked at the sundown audio 100.4 amp (many times) the only problem is that its too long, at 19", it wont fit under my seat. Otherwise it would be perfect for midbass. Ive looked at the Fosgate 3sixty, but that's $500 alone. I was considering just setting the amp for the midbass drivers on low-pass at 250Hz and just letting it roll off at the lower end? While my subs will be set at 60Hz...

Don't let them roll off on the low end. You'll end up damaging them due to over-excursion or make them much less ineffective as a result of distortion/excursion limitations on the low end.

You could look into Zed's amplifier lineup. Both of his amplifiers feature bandpassable crossovers. You could use the 2-channel to power the midbass, or for only $200 more you could get the 6-channel to power all of your speakers and sell your current amp(s) to coup some costs. They are also small'ish in footprint, might fit under your seat like you want.

impious, what about the HiFonics ZXi40.4? Is the band pass on that amp suitable for midrange frequencies?

Try removing the ground loop isolaters and then try again.(try it :P)

What would removing the ground loop isolators do? Are they possibly flitering out some of the sound frequencies I've been looking for?

impious, what about the HiFonics ZXi40.4? Is the band pass on that amp suitable for midrange frequencies?

It does not allow a lowpass higher than 150hz, not really suitable for midrange or midbass. Looks like it was mainly intended to be used with subwoofers.

Thank you Impious, I'm still thinking of a creative way to fit a sundown amp in there. If I do go with the anarchys, they are 8ohm correct? If the amp only shows 4ohm rms Watts, what is the expected power when running 8ohm speakers?

Try removing the ground loop isolaters and then try again.(try it :P)

What would removing the ground loop isolators do? Are they possibly flitering out some of the sound frequencies I've been looking for?

Just try it, i have heared from a few people that had noise and they used those isolators and their midbass fell away. :fing34:

It's not that hard to remove them. ;)

Edited by kirill007

One thing I havent seen in this thread in regard to good midbass is install quality.

Just as a sub box can make or break a sub's output, install can make the same difference in midbass reproduction from full range setups.

The lower the freq the more important an enclosure becomes, which is pretty evident in the OPs setup having a serious lack of midbass.

Reinforcing the door, sound deadening, & sealing is mandatory for midbass. Google or search on here about an "Infinite Baffle", as that is basically what you will be turning your doors into.

A lot of good info in here about setting crossovers, but I think the install really needs to be squared away before tuning the "finer details".