Sign in to follow this  
MKader17

Logging my Progress

So after reading Dem Beats - Health Check, I am inspired to do something similar. I have been looking for a way to write down my journey, and there is no better place than SSA!

I've actually done this before here. I had results overall but was also starving for information and learning along the way. It's 2 years down the road now and I have learned a lot of information, so this time I'm going to try and track my progress near daily and help keep my thoughts in check.

Start....

Current Weight - 208.5 (as of right now) *note* I am using my home scale... it is wrong (reads low) but its the best I got so I'm rolling with it **

I started this summer at 215 with the goal of 185-190. The first 5 pounds is always easy for me (2 days honestly) then it slows down.

I'm doing something unprecedented for myself. Typically I only take vitamins and recently I began taking Fish Oil Pills. I have incorporated some other supplements into my diet in hopes to help my fat loss and support lean muscle building and endurance. Namely, the two I've started recently is cinnamon extract and L-carnitine.

Cinnamon extract is supposed to level out your blood glucose level, lower cholesterol, and increase glucose metabolism, as well as treat all kinds of possible problems.

L-carnitine is supposed to help the use of fat as an energy source. Their are also many claims on performance increases. The verdict is really still out on this and I took on a stretch to use it.

I am introducing things slowly, one at a time, to confirm that their are no negative effects on my body. I feel that it will be hard to distinguish positive effects that each supplement provides considering that I can not isolate the variable enough to warrant taking the time to see how well they work.

As much as I hate to admit it, I am going to introduce a fat burning pill. I usually shy away from these products because I know they aren't necessary and their effectiveness isn't truly proven, but the 210 plateau kills me and I'm really looking to break it. Also, I figure that I give it one try. If it doesn't work, cut my losses and go on my way. If it does... Awesome!

Activity

I am currently doing a lot of biking. My goal is to do a 100 mile ride at the end of the summer called the Hotter N Hell 100. I am definitely unsure if I will make this goal but I will try my hardest. Currently I bike 5 days a week, run 2 days a week, lift 3 days a week. I am isolating certain parts to ensure that my body gets adequate rest and to reduce my risk of injury. My lifts are light weight because I have had hamstring problems and a shoulder problem. I am doing my best to roll into the weights and strengthen these parts safely.

That's all of my blabbering for now. I'm going to post up last weeks riding log and todays work out shortly...

Snapshot of last weeks training

Training for 06/21/2010 - 06/27/2010

Miles: 61.14

Time: 03:51

Calories: 5492 (not sure how correct that is but it makes me feel good!)

Workouts: 5 (doesn't include weight workouts)

Today's Workout - Total Body Day

Dumbell Fly and Press 3x8

Dumbell Incline Fly and Press 3x8

"Lawnmowers" (1 knee 1 hand on bench. Dumbell in "pull starting" motion) 3x8

Squats 3x12

Calf entensions (stand on step, balance self and go through full range of calf motion)

Stiff Leg Dead lifts 3x12

Abs

Core

Wow great cardio.

Lcarnitine helped me with getting less cramps. I have no idea why. I don't take it due to the cost anymore and extra potassium from spinnache or banana's do it for me too.

As for weight loss pills, they are almost all gone now. All you really have left are stimulents with some little extra helpers. ECA was classic. Ephedra caffeen and asprin. T'was majic. An honest 3-5% increase in weight loss in the AVERAGE person with no other changes. Truely without the ephedra caffeen is probably your best bet. Get some no dose and give it a shot. You can try other things, I'm going to try one of the boutique new products out there. I will say that I thought Melt-down sucked which is a new product. Redline was insane when it came out but it's been changed and might not have the same power as before.*** Most of the products out there have a ton of stuff that don't really help much. The most natty thing you could try is hot peppers and caffeen, and if you don't drink small amounts of asprin (white willow bark) might help. At bare minimum you will have more energy to try harder and push farther. What you need to be carefull of is you will need a bunch more water. And the more extra crap that may or may not work will probably dehydrate you further. Not so fun when pedaling in Texas sun.

Work out looks good so long as you keep it all moderate. If you want to push yourself super hard, try a split where you only work one muscle set per visit. You will have much better muscle size increase and strength, but you will then have a much harder time pedaling through the sorness and depletion. It will help you loose fat faster though.

*** Anecdotal info on redline. A friends coworker whom I knew well but wasn't really friendly with used original redline to ween himself off cocaine. He then mentioned that redline was more intense than cocaine to him. I think that's over the top, but I'm nearly caffeen imune. Just be careful with insense cardio and weight loss stuff.

Work out looks good so long as you keep it all moderate. If you want to push yourself super hard, try a split where you only work one muscle set per visit. You will have much better muscle size increase and strength, but you will then have a much harder time pedaling through the sorness and depletion. It will help you loose fat faster though.

I also use this general formula for my muscle building and I think it works well. Although I generally do two major muscles per day (maybe it depends on your definition of major muscles). I have it broken down into three days- triceps/chest, biceps/back, and legs. I throw in some more minor muscles each of those days as well, like forearms and outside shoulder on bicep day, upper shoulder on chest day, etc. I also do a little bit of abs almost every day. I think your body can replenish your muscles faster if it only has to concentrate on smaller areas of the body vs. trying to do work on the whole body. Especially the really big muscles like the quads, chest, and back. Those are major muscles that take a lot of effort to replenish.

Just reread through your first post and you already said you were going to break it up into different groups. I just read your last total body workout day and though you were applying that every day. But now I see that is not the case. So I guess you already know what I know. Oh well, more backup for you I guess.

K a little update for today...

My fat burner is Lipo 6 Black (it's marketed to look all crazy and shit. It's basically caffeine with their "fat burners"). I am just like you dem beats, and am basically immune to caffeine. I believe it is from my early years of drinking soooo much soda. I took it for the first time today and I notice that my body temp is slightly raised and I am somewhat affected by the amount of caffeine that is present.

I also introduced Tonalin at lunch today. This is supposed to help decrease the storage of fat and encourage the production of muscle mass.

Luckily for me water has become a staple for me. I drink it very often throughout the day and at each meal. It seems to really help my feel full and curbs the late night cravings.

I do know that after this little run I'm going on a complete detox of my body. Even if this stuff is basically natural after its all over I'm doing a 2-4 week flush.

As far as today's workout it looks nasty out today, but I am going to get out and ride anyways (today is supposed to be a run day but I didn't get to ride yesterday, when I pick up my KSO's from Tmaxs house I may go for a mile run later tonight.). I heard the local gym is charging zero down and $10 a month with no contract!

KU40, I completely agree that isolating muscles is the best way to build. As of now I am doing full body because I am doing light weight and higher reps just to get form perfect and my muscles ready. Also I have limited resources at the house. If this gym is really this cheap I will be heading there and modifying my workouts to make it work better. My main focus is improving my cycling ability so my weight lifting will affect that.

Currently this is my basic workout plan

Tues - (previously mentioned full body Chest/Legs/Abs/Core)

Thurs - (Biceps/Shoulders/Legs/Abs/Core)

Sun - (Abs/Core/ Maybe some arms and chest)

It's really all a big screwed up schedule trying to mesh it all together and rest body parts when you basically work your legs everyday :P

I have one note to your current work out. Break it down like this, and pick one motion to focus on.

Chest (dips/bench)

Back (dead lifts/bent over rows/lat pull downs)

legs (squat/sled)

Then work what ever supporting muscle you feel you like triceps on chest day(because you push with them), biceps on back day(because you pull) and on leg day I usually do some random calf or similar work out.

Why? You want to keep the muscles you work on the same day in the closest geographical area on/in your body. 2 reasons. Sypathetic break down from support muscles so it's easier to cause hypertrophy. The other is excess blood circulation in specific area. AKA the pump. You don't have enough blood to flood ALL OVER your body so by keeping muscle groups that work together you can get in more nutrients.

Think like this, if you weren't in the gym to work out but had to lift something huge for your livelyhood you would make do it the most effecient way possible. Watch a power lifter press on the bench. Back arched up as an silly angle, sometimes on tip toes, elbows tucked close in not angled out. Same with linemen. If you play football you know to keep your arms close to your sides. It helps give you more power, and less injury, and it really helps with getting more blood flow.

Isolating and lifting in un natural ways/groups can be usefull if it's for rehab or specific skill set training, but for everyone I have trained up it works magic.

Also I loved lip 6 when it was the real deal. As for now maybe I'll give it a shot if I can grab a bottle on the cheepy cheep.

Well this week is going to be "the test". Hell, the next month will be a huge test. I am staying at my buddy's place in Austin until next Friday. Soon after that I'm getting my wisdom teeth removed and at the begining of August I'm starting a 2 week job where ill be working 10 to 12 hour days everyday...

But we'll just concentrate on it one thing at a time. I packed a lot of food for myself. Oatmeal, protein, dextrose, snack bars, etc... So I'm hoping I can use all this to keep my 3 hours meals on track and my over eating at meals suppressed.

There will be some partying no doubt, which I fully plan to partake in. I think what I'm going to try to do is allow myself one big party day and the rest of the days ill just keep it in check.

As far as workout, my buddy rides so I'm getting him to show me around today, then hopefully I can roll on my own. Also, he said I can access his apt workout room.

One thing of interest is I found a book called mens health hard body plan. Its actually a pretty cool book (there is a little bit of fluff but it be expected)

Ill keep it updated this week, good or bad. Hopefully reporting it will keep me going strong.

Great update. Just finished a 21.6 mile ride. Definitely have to mention I went to a place called EZ's in Austin and got their Rosemary Chicken (1/4 Chicken white, with veggies, rice, and their home made bread (so good) all for just over $5 (with a college student discount). Was extremely impressed.

http://www.ezsrestaurants.com/ First one under their locations...

Sounds like you're doing great. Make sure you take the fish oils! Just not right after pedaling. I got my udo's oil and after 3 days taking it I am starting to see skin improvement. That's the biggest thing for me with my psoriasis as I can tell right away. For you it will help with stamina and keeping you moving even when depleted.

whew, hot damn. Was a good day today.

Got in a 13 mile ride did some upper body workout and abs and about a 2 mile run in some hills then a relaxing dip in the pool

keep up the good work man

you've got me working out again and riding my bike a lot lately too

Update,

Yesterday I did a 13 mile ride. Hit 34.7 mph on a down hill slope which was a speed record for me. Almost got hit by a car too. Scary sheeit.

Leg workout today and some touch football. Oh man the abs\ routine from earlier this week kicked in. My abs hurt more than anything when I leave them "crunched" while sitting down and then stand back up.

No, not actually sure what that is :P

Got in a 13.26 miler today. My goal for July is 400 miles which will double the amount of miles I have on the bike right now

About to go hit up the gym here in a few.

Defnitely have to post this...

06e76bc7.jpg

Got all of this for free this week. Not sure how/why/when/where I would use the mass xxx but the ON is a vanilla and chocolate which is awesome because I was running out of both. I'll try out the amplified whey and I'm not sure if I'll use the nano vapor, but it was all free...

How did you get that all free? That's like 300 bucks worth of stuff.

How did you get that all free? That's like 300 bucks worth of stuff.

For the ON I was helping my friends gf move out. I saw it and asked about it. It was her roommate's. Her roommate heard me and told me she didn't want it and I could have it... Cha ching!

Was at my buddies apartment searching for a pan and found the rest thats pictured. I asked his roommate if it was his (assuming it was) and he said most of it but some was from a roommate who didn't live there anymore and I could have all of it if I wanted.... Cha ching!

Went ahead and took a little nano before my workout this evening. I could definitely feel the creatine. (I like to call it the creatine buzz because your muscles feel all jacked after a workout). I followed a workout from the Hard Body Plan book today and I really liked it. Their beginner workouts are really good for someone short on time, but I added some lifts because I felt I needed a bit more. I'll probably stick with their beginner for 3 weeks (I'm still worried about my shoulder and want it to be 110%). They recommend 12 weeks at the beginner level, but I feel I would get bored and just add more lifts anyways.

Was supposed to go out of town tomorrow but it got cancelled. I'm actually really excited because that means I'm going to be able to hit up a looong ride tomorrow. I'm shooting for 50 miles

What is an example of a beginner workout?

Yesterday's workout...

Arms and Shoulders

Warm up jog

Small quick stretch

Warmup Lifts (I run through the lifts at about 1/2 weight to get the blood moving)

Lift

Cool down (quick stretch and a little more movement before leaving the gym)

Lifts...

Overhead Press

Side Deltoid Raise

Lying Tricep Extension

Barbell Curl

Forearm Curl

Reverse Forearm Curl

Added...

Machine Dips (Let machine hold some of my weight.)

Did a long ride today. Topped out at 41.15 miles. Kept a pace just over 17mph for the entire ride. Felt good to get a long ride in.

Also joined Fat Secret as they have teamed up with the Calorie Counter app on the Droid so I can track my food from the phone or the computer and they automatically sync each other.

What I found interesting is they recommend that a person of my size and activity level get 3700 Calories a day. It says that with resting sleeping and the exercise I did today I will burn 4453 calories today and currently I have eaten 1706 leaving me at a 2747 calorie deficit for the day! I find it hard to take stock in all this but I do like that I can track my food fairly easily so I'm going to see how well it works. This all takes up a bunch of time but currently I have plenty of it. And I hope that what I learn from it all can be used later when I don't have time to track it.

I'm even going to update on my rest days! :P

Doing some good tracking of my food intake today and I didn't even hit 2000 calories. I still find it nuts that fatsecret.com recommends I get 3700 a day.

Also, according to shapeup.org I should not get ANY LESS than 2000 a day or they say my body will go into starvation mode....

This still all blows my mind...

Did a long ride today. Topped out at 41.15 miles. Kept a pace just over 17mph for the entire ride. Felt good to get a long ride in.

Also joined Fat Secret as they have teamed up with the Calorie Counter app on the Droid so I can track my food from the phone or the computer and they automatically sync each other.

What I found interesting is they recommend that a person of my size and activity level get 3700 Calories a day. It says that with resting sleeping and the exercise I did today I will burn 4453 calories today and currently I have eaten 1706 leaving me at a 2747 calorie deficit for the day! I find it hard to take stock in all this but I do like that I can track my food fairly easily so I'm going to see how well it works. This all takes up a bunch of time but currently I have plenty of it. And I hope that what I learn from it all can be used later when I don't have time to track it.

That's a great deficit! It will get you about .5 pounds a day in the real world maybe a bit more or a bit less.

I'm even going to update on my rest days! :P

Doing some good tracking of my food intake today and I didn't even hit 2000 calories. I still find it nuts that fatsecret.com recommends I get 3700 a day.

Also, according to shapeup.org I should not get ANY LESS than 2000 a day or they say my body will go into starvation mode....

This still all blows my mind...

When I worked as a laborer for the state and had a second job and was in the gym 4 days a week I was eating 6000-7000 kcal a day. No joke. Everyday. I was still loosing weight doing it too.