SoundSplinter

Specs: RL-s12 & RL-s15 LMT

"But I also don't think we are talking about a difference of that low of an order, after modeling it, it seems more like a Qtc of 1 for a near IB enclosure vs Qtc of 2 or 2.5 for a smaller sealed."

A Q of 2.5 will *definitely* be sloppy from an objective perspective.

A single pulse input will have the cone oscillating for many many cycles before decaying in amplitude.

It may *sound* good on a lot of music, rich and full, but I can't imagine it reproducing real instruments, like drums, satisfactorily.

Any Qts over .5 has some ringing (continued oscillating of the cone). .7 is normally considered optimum, giving more output and only a little bit of ringing.

"High Q = Very little BL = Poor efficiency = loss of output with a given amount of power"

Slightly out of order - low BL is the first in the chain of cause/effect.

"but i thought the higher the q the smaller the box"

Also backwards. Starting with whatever Qts the driver has, the smaller the box you put it in, the higher the system Q.

"Transient response and energy storage shouldn

Okay, this thread has been done for a while now but I am getting curious about this voice coil. Why is it a 4Ohm? And how do this ohmage things work when creating a voice coil. If I recall the orginal was going for 2 ohms then 3 and finished on 4 so that says to me that it is more luck of the draw than science. Why is that? Is it the coil maker being used? The LMT technology? Quality of components?

the rl-s need a ported box tuned between 14-20hz...i thought that was interesting becuase the fs on both drivers are not that low....

but hey what do i know

i just took the demo out of my car. i had it tuned to ~32 and ~37...and it just had an akward peak in the upper 40's - 50's.

but you would figure FS would be lower given all the moving mass

Okay, this thread has been done for a while now but I am getting curious about this voice coil. Why is it a 4Ohm? And how do this ohmage things work when creating a voice coil. If I recall the orginal was going for 2 ohms then 3 and finished on 4 so that says to me that it is more luck of the draw than science. Why is that? Is it the coil maker being used? The LMT technology? Quality of components?

All of your answers are located in the technical notes that were posted earlier.

http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/forum/i...?showtopic=2748

And you can attribute the impedance of the coil to the LMT technology and coil winding to achieve it. The coil is actually 3.5ohms nominal.