Sign in to follow this  
joshp

Will bad box damage sub?

Well I received it today and was going to use my garbage box to break it in. The box is very small and I don't expect good output or sq but it is just for break in. My question is, this cheap box came with plastic carrying handles that are recessed into the box and the sub wouldn't clear them, so I had to remove them. I now have two 3-3/4"X 2-1/4" slots in the box. Will this damage my sub? I don't plan on playing at high levels in this box.

dont even bother with break in

Well I'm going to use the garbage box until I can build a sealed box this weekend. Do you think my current box will damage the sub at all? I plan on making the sealed box 18"X18"X13" which will put me around 2 cubic ft. or should I go 18"X18"X18" which will give me 2.5 cubic ft? It will be sealed because my main thing is sq and I listen to all types of music from classical, jazz to rock to only a little rap now.

Well I looked through my records and you got a 15. I would put it in 2.5'ish cubes as soon as possible. 2 cubes is small for that driver. It won't "hurt" it but it certainly won't perform like it will in ~2.5 cubes.

Well I looked through my records and you got a 15.  I would put it in 2.5'ish cubes as soon as possible.  2 cubes is small for that driver.  It won't "hurt" it but it certainly won't perform like it will in ~2.5 cubes.

I figure it will sound like crap with the $15 box I have from kragen from another sub setup I purchased just as a joke. THe box isn't sealed and has holes/slots as I my previous post states. But I just want to get the sub moving as soon as I can that way I'll be able to turn it up sooner.

THanks for input, I almost waisted money making a 2 cube box for it. Space is no consideration if it will sound better in 3 cubic ft I'll do three. Otherwise I'll go for the 18"X18"X18" sealed box, which should give me around 2.5 cubic ft. I have to buy the wood for the box maybe tomorrow. I bet the wood will be more expensive now since I hear there is a shortage due to the hurricane hitting New Orleans.

In that case, yeah, just get it moving to break it in a little.

Wow! I thought my k's had good sq. If this is any indication wow! I've got it turned down and even in the insanely small box it is running in (probably 1.5 cubes) this thing is sounding nice. Hopefully when I turn the speaker up it will maintain the sq. There isn't much cone movement at all with the volume I'm playing it at (I can hear bass being produced but I don't see the cone doing anything). I did seal off the two holes that the box had so that doesn't have anything to do with the sub not moving now. Should I turn it up more or just leave it where it is.

To give an idea of how hard I'm driving this sub, my previous k's I has the remote volume control dial running from the amp turned about 3/4 when I was driving my old subs hard. Currently I have the it turned all the way to the minimum setting and my hu volume is about 2/3's of what I was playing it at before.

I guess my question is, by break in am I trying to get the surround and spider loosened up and does the cone need to be moving a decent amount for this break in to occur?

Sorry probably a stupid question. If you already wrote about this on how to break in the new mags and the purpose behind it, just put a link to it.

hey i want a sealed box for my magnum, they only sell 1.5 sealed at the stores =(

whats a good size to have one custom built??

and does anyone have plans they can give me so i can copy? =)

they sell it and audio king by my house for 65 dollars, i was gonna buy it but the sub is jus as big lol, any ways

im tryin to have a 2.5 built, wat should i tell the guy? 18X18X18?

or how should it look like?

any help plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz i neeeeeddddd bassssssssssss

Keep in mind that 2.5 is for a 15.  A 12 will do just fine in 1.5.  I seriously doubt they only sell 1.5 cubed 15" enclosures.

I actually had this problem by my place. The audio store said their box was 1.5 cubes I believe. THey wanted to sell it to me for around $50.

Now I'm making one for a little over $20 that will be the optimum size. I'm getting more for less. Then again my dad has all the tools to do it.

heh, i found my cousin hes gonna do it, my car trunk is kinda small so what od u guys recommend i tell him? 18x18x18? 20x20x20 any recommendations for a box? help plzzzzz i want bass =) i will post pics of it and stuffffffffffffffff i have a pg tantrum 1200.1 so it has a little bit a power, does that mean i need a bigger box? or any thing over 2.3 cube is fine?

Just figure up the measurements yourself. Multiply your height, width, and depth and then divide by 1728. That will give you cubic feet. Mess around with measurements to see what you can come up with that's closest to 2.5 cubes.